Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

Default Re: Chet vs VW today - Spurs rare win (Chet still Rookie of the Year?)

Chet elevated OKC from barely play in to the best team in the West

Spurs went from the worst team in the West to still the worst team in the West

Emptyyama just doesn't impact the game in any way, he goes out there puts up some pretty stat lines and fools the casual fans into thinking he's a generational talent

His ceiling is Porzinigis 2.0 but nothing more

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    What? No one is questioning the spurs would benefit from a losing record, that is quite obvious the way the lottery is setup.

However, you don't reward a team that is proactively tanking by giving its players who are participating in it the benefit over others that are part of a team trying to win nightly. OKC as far as I know has their own 2025 pick... they too would have benefited from tanking for a higher pick no? Unless of course you are thinking they are contenders for the ring, but i'm sure you're not trolling to that extent, are you?

There is something called playing down to one's competition but the opposite is inherently true as well. Being a more competitive teams brings out the competitiveness of opposing teams. That said Chet's numbers on a winning team is significantly more impressive.

Wemby's weakness early on was his shot but that hasn't been the case lately. Since Jan 1 he is shooting 38% from 3 and mid 80s from the foul line.

Wemby's usage rate is extremely high for a rookie (actually 8th in the league) and he is handling it very well. His scoring efficiency has been improving and he's shown a lot of playmaking ability. Of course he's been great defensively.

I would also say he is one of the league leaders in "oh sh**" highlights which will probably have an influence in the voting.

Once again i would point out that this award isn't very important. Nobody cares who won it 5,10, 20 years ago. It is rarely brought up.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Once again i would point out that this award isn't very important. Nobody cares who won it 5,10, 20 years ago. It is rarely brought up.
    Other than Carmelo getting outright robbed of ROY because of the Lebron hype train. Equal, if not slightly better stats, turned around a 17 win team to a 45 win team going to the postseason in a strong Western Conference while Lebron struggled in the Leastern Conference

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachlNicholsazz View Post
    Other than Carmelo getting outright robbed of ROY because of the Lebron hype train. Equal, if not slightly better stats, turned around a 17 win team to a 45 win team going to the postseason in a strong Western Conference while Lebron struggled in the Leastern Conference
    turned a team around with the additions of Camby and Miller. But way to go Carmelo doing it all by yourself!

I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    turned a team around with the additions of Camby and Miller. But way to go Carmelo doing it all by yourself!
    It's not like Melo had an all star in his prime playing alongside him like Lebron did with Big Z, plus Ricky Davis, and the surprise of the draft Carlos Boozer, in a pathetically weak conference. Melo.was by far the best player on that Nuggets team as a rookie. LeBron on his underperforming team wasn't head or shoulders over Boozer or Big Z. LeBron ROBBED Melo of rookie of the year. Similar stats, but in a much tougher conference, led a team with a much better record, won almost 30 more games than the previous year AND made the postseason. Melo was ROY the year HANDS DOWN.

It's not like Melo had an all star in his prime playing alongside him like Lebron did with Big Z, plus Ricky Davis, and the surprise of the draft Carlos Boozer, in a pathetically weak conference. Melo.was by far the best player on that Nuggets team as a rookie. LeBron on his underperforming team wasn't head or shoulders over Boozer or Big Z. LeBron ROBBED Melo of rookie of the year. Similar stats, but in a much tougher conference, led a team with a much better record, won almost 30 more games than the previous year AND made the postseason. Melo was ROY the year HANDS DOWN.
    Advanced stats tell a different story. He scored a lot of points and Andre got a lot of assists while Camby's advanced numbers would tell me had the biggest impact on winning. 6th in Def +/- 11th def rating 5th reb %. Carmelo certainly liked to think he was doing it by himself though!

ROY really doesn't matter to a guy who made the All Star game 10 times.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

However, you don't reward a team that is proactively tanking by giving its players who are participating in it the benefit over others that are part of a team trying to win nightly. OKC as far as I know has their own 2025 pick... they too would have benefited from tanking for a higher pick no? Unless of course you are thinking they are contenders for the ring, but i'm sure you're not trolling to that extent, are you?

as far as the start of that, obviously people are going to give the award to the guy on the team not trying to win and just about everybody has come around to the fact that they should. Acknowledging the best player isn’t an award for the team. It’s not rewarding anything about the Spurs. it’s telling the truth about what your eyes show you.

and the thunder have the best record in the west, and on pace for 57 wins. They are well past the point they should be tanking. They past it last year when they were too good to lose. Play in teams have to go full rebuild or suffer some kinda misfortune to be bad enough to bother. They have too many high picks as it is. You can only even afford to pay so many if they hit on them. big picture wise the thunder picks are better off traded for established guys as they enter win now mode. They have their three stars for the future already. Tanking now is just wasting what you have.

The Spurs only one one player who matters.

Listening to the Zach Lowe podcast now talking about the Spurs. The trio of Wemby/Jones/Vassell have played 625 minutes together. In that time they are +154.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    Listening to the Zach Lowe podcast now talking about the Spurs. The trio of Wemby/Jones/Vassell have played 625 minutes together. In that time they are +154.
    but I thought everyone on his team was trash?