Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Chet vs VW today - Spurs rare win (Chet still Rookie of the Year?)

Great matchup Chet v VW today.

For the game, both played well but VW was dominant and got a rare win.

Chet 23, 7, 5 with 1 block
    VW 28, 13, 7 with 5 blocks and 2 steals (plus looked dominant)

For the season, I still go with Chet for rookie of the year but I know many will flip to VW.

I prefer Chet for efficiency and impact on wins.

Before Chet - 40 and 42 (.488 %)
    After - 41 - 18 (.695 %)

Before VW - 22 and 60 (.268 %)
    After 12 - 48 (0.200%)

The only major change for each team was Chet and VW. OKC are much better. Spurs are worse on record.

However, obviously VW is looking great and Spurs will improve once they retire their over the hill coach and GM.

Default Re: Chet vs VW today - Spurs rare win (Chet still Rookie of the Year?)

Nah it's been clear for a couple months that Wemby is ROY.

Also, major changes for OKC has been Shai and JW improving a ton, as they should.

If it’s a toss up by the end of the year I think you gotta go with the guy who was more consistent throughout. Yama slumped for a while after a strong initial debut, while Chet has been steady across the board. I think thats a big thing working in both his and SGA’s favor for their respective award candidacies, that theyve been very consistent night in and night out. Would also be cool to see them win the awards as teammates, not that voters should actually be considering that.

Wemby been a favorite since mid-January (he's sitting at -1350 to win ROTY on fanduel right now). He's leading rookies in everything but APG, and he's also top 5 in that category. He's shooting 59%TS since Jan 1st while averaging 23 a game to go along with his consistent rebounding & defense. Wemby has been insanely consistent over the last 2 months so the only argument left for Chet is that he's on a winning team, but I don't think being a role player on a winning team is enough to be ROTY over the guy who's doing everything and who's putting up better numbers across the board in less minutes.

That giraffe named wemby pawned that ostrich named chet this time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Wemby been a favorite since mid-January (he's sitting at -1350 to win ROTY on fanduel right now). He's leading rookies in everything but APG, and he's also top 5 in that category. He's shooting 59%TS since Jan 1st while averaging 23 a game to go along with his consistent rebounding & defense. Wemby has been insanely consistent over the last 2 months so the only argument left for Chet is that he's on a winning team, but I don't think being a role player on a winning team is enough to be ROTY over the guy who's doing everything and who's putting up better numbers across the board in less minutes.
    Only argument other than better advanced numbers and team impact

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Chet was never rookie of the year. Not only is Wemby leading rookies in practically everything there is the “Let’s not look like idiots one day” factor where nobody wants to be in a documentary explaining why they didn’t vote for one of the greatest players of all time who clearly had the best rookie season.

Losing games on a team that would be stupid to win any games isn’t going to determine the outcome. They are clearly a couple pieces away. Being mediocre right now is the dumbest thing they could do as a franchise. They need to be terrible even if there aren’t guaranteed great prospects available, because they need to give themselves the best opportunity to evaluate everyone and find him a running mate.

Ideally, they would still suck next year as well. The thunder are SGA(clippers lottery pick) And three other lottery picks coming into their primes together. It takes a minute and three or four hits. They have two right now. They shouldn’t be worried about having a good record till they figure out who is going to be getting him the ball for the next 10-15 years.

I would say Chet was better prior to Jan 1 but since then Wemby has been better. In Jan Wemby averaged 24 ppg compared to 15 for Chet, with better efficiency. Wemby highlights have been featured night after night on the post game shows. If he keeps playing like this he probably gets it.

Lets be real the ROY is not a very significant award anyway.

If we have historically looked at team records for individual accomplishments for whatever reason (MVP award), same should be said for the ROY award.

Spurs are 12-48
    OKC are 41-18

As close as the two are, that record difference has to mean something

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

As close as the two are, that record difference has to mean something
    It doesn’t and shouldn’t. And I think the voters will make it clear they didn’t care. One franchise is making an effort to win. The other is making an effort to rebuild. There is literally no reason for the Spurs to win a game. The Thunder are trying to win a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    It doesn’t and shouldn’t. And I think the voters will make it clear they didn’t care. One franchise is making an effort to win. The other is making an effort to rebuild. There is literally no reason for the Spurs to win a game. The Thunder are trying to win a title.
    The Spurs obviously didn't get the memo considering they beat OKC last night

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    The Spurs obviously didn't get the memo considering they beat OKC last night
    The Spurs are likely locked into the seed that they are currently in for the purposes of the lottery.

Detroit and Washington likely aren't catching them and they likely aren't catching Portland or Charlotte.

Wemby is so many levels better as a player that this "race" is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    While I agree that should be the case, people do take team record into consideration.

MVP to Nash is the most blatant example.
    Last edited by rawimpact; 03-01-2024 at 11:02 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    While I agree that should be the case, people do take team record into consideration.

MVP to Nash is the most blatant example.
    for ROTY they don't. Rookies are usually on bad teams. If it's close they might