Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What do you think is wrong with the league? List some rule change ideas

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    You don't want to change the game fundamentally IMO like removing the 3pt line or pushing it back.

The way to bring the game back to normal and slow down the offense is remove the defensive 3 second rule, allow at least some handchecking on the perimeter and start calling obvious travels.
    Agree, also obvious carries and pocket the whistle on blatant foul-baiting tactics.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: What do you think is wrong with the league? List some rule change ideas

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Which rule don't make sense? I'm saying the refs need to use common sense discretion and call things accordingly. For example, KD's infamous "rip through" move was technically a defensive foul. But when he's doing it intentionally, that would go beyond the spirit of the rules and so the refs shouldn't call it. They should even call it offensive foul. Instead, they need to wait seasons for ratification when there's really no need for that. Same with Harden's stepback.
    This is why american contracts are hundreds of pages while european contracts are a couple of pages.

European law assumes people use common sense and the law isn't something to manipulate over a word, but it's the intention agreed upon that is the law.

Made that high school varsity squad

Make it so the five second rule for inbounding after a basket ends when someone touches the ball in play. No more of this stupid watching the ball roll down the floor. Not a big change, but a pet peeve of mine. Another solution would be to call it a delay of game, which it surely is.

No three point shots until the shot clock is down to 14 seconds.

Revive the 1 and 1 when a team gets a foul in the penalty.

Only get a third foul shot on a three point attempt if you make the first two.

As long as your challenges are successful, you get another challenge. Let the refs stop making obviously wrong calls if you need to speed the game up.

Eliminate all position restrictions on the defense.

Eliminate the protected circle. You want to make a high flying, highlight dunk in traffic, then you might injure yourself.

Any play where the offense initiates contact on a defender who has either jumped vertically or remained on his feet is not a defensive foul. Either a no-call or an offensive foul.

Get rid of the gather step (which never existed until Bron’s “crab dribble”) and start calling carries any time the hand is more than halfway down the ball (killing most people’s crossovers, and lots more that now passes for great handles).

Emphasize to the refs that the size, and position, of the player has no bearing at all on how they make calls.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

the ball rolling is lame for sure. I like the Gleague rule where they take 1 FT and they get 1, 2 or 3 points om a make depending on what they would normally shoot except for the last two minutes or 0 if they miss. They'll never do that though

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    the ball rolling is lame for sure. I like the Gleague rule where they take 1 FT and they get 1, 2 or 3 points om a make depending on what they would normally shoot except for the last two minutes or 0 if they miss. They'll never do that though
    I personally have no problem with rolling the ball. Defense has the option to press him and try to make something of it or just deal with it, either way I don’t think I can recall a game where a team did it over and over and it was a tipping point to win the game. it’s more of a mind game move to get them distracted off their main game rather than the lynch pin of a serious strategy

lmao what free throw rule is that? that sounds horrible

plus the problem with fouls is breaking up the continuity of the game and also letting the officials take over at times. its not less free throws, people want less fouls all together. let them play and keep it going. i am personally not into soccer but that is where they thrive, having constant action with limited stops of play.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Come up with the language to describe what is and isn't a foul and we're good to go.
    No extra language. That's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    This is why american contracts are hundreds of pages while european contracts are a couple of pages.

European law assumes people use common sense and the law isn't something to manipulate over a word, but it's the intention agreed upon that is the law.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    I personally have no problem with rolling the ball. Defense has the option to press him and try to make something of it or just deal with it, either way I don’t think I can recall a game where a team did it over and over and it was a tipping point to win the game. it’s more of a mind game move to get them distracted off their main game rather than the lynch pin of a serious strategy

lmao what free throw rule is that? that sounds horrible

plus the problem with fouls is breaking up the continuity of the game and also letting the officials take over at times. its not less free throws, people want less fouls all together. let them play and keep it going. i am personally not into soccer but that is where they thrive, having constant action with limited stops of play.
    Beginning in the 2019-20 season, the NBA G League implemented the One Free Throw Rule. This innovative rule states that one free throw shall be taken in all free throw situations during the first 46 minutes of the game. The free throw is worth the value of total free throws allotted under standard NBA free throw rules. For example, a player shooting a 3-pointer who is fouled and misses the shot takes one free throw worth three points. During the last two minutes of a game and overtime standard NBA free throw rules apply.

it's a horrible rule if you love watching guys shoot free throws I guess. I'll fast forward through free throws myself. Less fouls would be great. Also hate that they take so long on replays. Look at the angles and make a call or keep the original call if it's not clear

Decent college freshman

I've said this before and will say it again. One simple change will fix a lot of what sucks about the game right now....

Raise the rims to 10.5 or 11 feet.
    Last edited by jayfan; 03-01-2024 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    No extra language. That's the point.
    If you're not going to bother getting specific then you can't complain about refs and players interpreting it whatever way they want.

Quote Originally Posted by jayfan View Post
    I've said this before and will say it again. One simple change will fix a lot of what sucks about the game right now....

Raise the rims to 10.5 or 11 feet.
    Bump it up to 40 feet and give all the players broomsticks.

another hot take from Arenas. Best Americans don't spend more than a year in college usually

We need hand checking back, no defensive three seconds in the paint and no offensive player initiating contact and getting a call.