Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Where do you rank Domantas Sabonis this year?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    If I have to select one player to start a team with for the next few years, I doubt Booker, Mitchell, Brunson, George and even Tatum or Durant is a better choice to take my team further.
    Most of those guys are proven no1 guys however. Sabonis has fox on his own team and the kings have honestly been pretty mediocre this year even though they been mostly healthy. Meanwhile Mitchell and Jarrett allen have carried the cavs to the 2 seed. Tbf the rest of the roster could use a big upgrade but that does point to sabonis being not as impactful as people think. Also don’t overlook sengun in the next few years. Not as physical but already maybe a better shooter and defender than sabonis

You can’t win with Sabonis but he’s somehow top 10. Typical ISH

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    Most of those guys are proven no1 guys however. Sabonis has fox on his own team and the kings have honestly been pretty mediocre this year even though they been mostly healthy. Meanwhile Mitchell and Jarrett allen have carried the cavs to the 2 seed. Tbf the rest of the roster could use a big upgrade but that does point to sabonis being not as impactful as people think. Also don’t overlook sengun in the next few years. Not as physical but already maybe a better shooter and defender than sabonis
    the east is weaker too

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post
    You can’t win with Sabonis but he’s somehow top 10. Typical ISH
    You can't win with Embiid either. Until last year you couldn't win with Jokic. Doesn't mean much. Sabonis plays the same winning brand of basketball Jokic does. Not quite as good but with the right players around him I'd say you can win with Sabonis. We'll never know until we do, sure. We don't have to agree: I'd select him no lower than no. 10 if I have to build a contending team for the next 4-5 years. I value teamplay.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    You can't win with Embiid either. Until last year you couldn't win with Jokic. Doesn't mean much. Sabonis plays the same winning brand of basketball Jokic does. Not quite as good but with the right players around him I'd say you can win with Sabonis. We'll never know until we do, sure. We don't have to agree: I'd select him no lower than no. 10 if I have to build a contending team for the next 4-5 years. I value teamplay.
    You can win with Embiid. He fits the modern NBA. Sabonis doesnt. Sabonis plays awful defense and doesn’t stretch the floor and isn’t a dominant low post scorer. Horrendous combination. Comparing him to Jokic is crazy. Jokic is a dominant low post scorer who stretches the floor. He’s basically flawless on offense. Sabonis was easily taken out of the offense by the Warriors defense in the playoffs. There’s 30 guys I’d rather have easily.

I rule the local playground

You can win with Embiid. He fits the modern NBA. Sabonis doesnt. Sabonis plays awful defense and doesn’t stretch the floor and isn’t a dominant low post scorer. Horrendous combination. Comparing him to Jokic is crazy. Jokic is a dominant low post scorer who stretches the floor. He’s basically flawless on offense. Sabonis was easily taken out of the offense by the Warriors defense in the playoffs. There’s 30 guys I’d rather have easily.
    It’s silly to insist that you can win with a guy who perpetually fails to get out of the second round. Maybe he will prove people wrong, but right now the evidence is against it. Embiid is too fragile, and he does not have a history of upping his performance in the playoffs. Right now, he’s the TMac of big men.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Nah, Davis is legitimately overrated the way Love was overrated in Minnesota. And people were calling Love empty stats before he had any connection to Bron.

Love put up some eye popping stats in Minny. But if you watched the games, it was just a combination of him stat wh0ring and nobody else on the team competing for numbers. It never felt like he was a dominant force in the game.

Davis doesnt specifically try to stat pad, but his impact when you watch the game absolutely does not correlate to what the numbers would tell you hes doing. Perfect case in point last years conf finals game 1, he got LIT UP by Joker throughout the whole game, Jokic was dominating in a way that gave Denver momentum and forced the adjustments etc. and Denver led the whole game and won. It never felt like AD was a presence. But by the end of the game he had like 36 and however many rebounds. He basically matched Joker’s numbers but if you watched the game… it was a beatdown.

That is DEFINITELY a feature of Davis. He disappears, he’s passive, and also, his offense doesnt really translate to the team. He takes and makes a certain amount of shots, gets his points, but last game for instance he played 41 minutes with zero assists. He’s not a generator on offense. Hes just… out there, collecting points over time. It’s very Minnesota K-Lovesque.

If you watch Sabonis, he is an offensive orchestrator. He is the main playmaker on the league’s second highest scoring team, as a center. And he plays hard every night. If you paired HIM with Lebron, their chemistry would be insane and the Lakers offense would be far more consistent. Yes Davis is a better defender but that doesnt make as much difference as Sabonis being a consistently available, nine assist center who also scores 20 on 62%.

Im not saying its some huge difference, theyre both top nba players, but to me Domas is clearly the better center this year. I also dont see how anyone is taking Tatum or Mitchell over him. I dont think those people are really appreciating the value of elevating a team vs being an iso scorer.
    You're right in that there were some people rating Love as a top 5 player, and Davis the same at points in their career because of empty stats on mediocre teams.

But that aside, I sometimes forget that Sabonis is on the floor. I never forget Davis is on the floor every possession just because of his defense alone. Neither are a #1 offensive option on a title team, so you cannot judge them as such. That's what it sounds like you're judging Davis as.

This isnt really true, he got most of his usual looks he just choked horribly on shots he normally makes. He was a little bit TOO wound up in his first playoff series. And that series still went to 7, if he shoots even just decent they probably win. He's shooting extremely efficiently this season, including 43% on threes he just doesnt take many. If his shooting collapses in the playoffs again, then it can be called a pattern. Otherwise I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Of course he's not in Joker's class but he does have the most similar playstyle among centers. He lacks Joker's size so he's not as unstoppable down low but he can run the break, pass out of the post, score 20 on great efficiency and rebound.

Their roster isnt amazing and they play in a division with Golden State, Phoenix, LAC and LAL. So they basically the league's hardest schedule, yet if they win their next game theyre tied for fifth in the West.

He's doing more this year than he gets credit for, mainly because nobody pays attention to Sacramento.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    When healthy there's really no competition with Davis vs. Sabonis. Davis is a flat out better scorer, defender, FT shooter, and can capably play the 4. Sabonis is exclusively a 5, and is just not a good. Great player and definitely deserved the all-star nod this year.

The injuries and Lebron scapegoating has brainwashed some here in just how good Davis is.
    lol lets not overrate Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    lol lets not overrate Davis.
    He’s right. AD has been annoyingly inconsistent since 2020 but he’s a proven championship caliber player. Sabonis is much too flawed to play a larger role on a title team.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy Pratt View Post
    It’s silly to insist that you can win with a guy who perpetually fails to get out of the second round. Maybe he will prove people wrong, but right now the evidence is against it. Embiid is too fragile, and he does not have a history of upping his performance in the playoffs. Right now, he’s the TMac of big men.
    Embiid isn’t exploitable in the playoffs. He has underperformed but that is different than just being incapable of performing up to par. Sabonis just doesn’t have the skillet to be a top guy on a title winner. Embiid does whether you think he’s able to or not.

He’s right. AD has been annoyingly inconsistent since 2020 but he’s a proven championship caliber player. Sabonis is much too flawed to play a larger role on a title team.
    Yea just like Khris Middleton is a championship caliber player

AD is better than Sabonis. Can't believe people are even questioning it. AD has been improving aspects of his game this season actually.

Was anyone else watching Mavs vs Cavs? What a ****ing game. Omg!

Amongst low iq psychopaths, his dad used to be an all-star bt. Is it true?