Default Where are the power dunkers at?

Kemp McDyess Stoudemire

where the guys that wanted to kill the rim at? i miss seeing violent posters. we got gianna i guess but she doesn't do it for me if you know what i mean, probably because she tucks her shoulder and knocks everyone in her way down like a bowling pin while the officials temporarily lose their sight. Tatum's boom was very feminine as well.

whenever i need to see something violent to precipitate motivation and aggression in me, i revisit Amar'e posterizing Toliver. That's a real alpha male poster right there. Where did that type of dunker go? Did curry really feminize the league with 3pt shooting?

Default Re: Where are the power dunkers at?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I was gonna say the power dunkers now are the guards like Russ and Ja. Zion a bit as well but not so much on people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I was gonna say the power dunkers now are the guards like Russ and Ja. Zion a bit as well but not so much on people.
    ja is nice and all but the rim sounds more like a victim when it's a 6'10 big attacking it

You’re only gonna get that from dudes who don’t shoot 3’s or middies.

Most people who have never thrown down hard dunks on a real breakaway rim, don’t realize that in any given dunk, you can do all sorts of minor bothersome things to your palms, fingers, wrist tendons, bones of the hand and wrist, etc ….. all which are relatively minor, but can make shooting a jump shot for a day or two less accurate/ideal/comfortable…. Which with each additional discomfort, percentage goes down, whether non-shooters want to believe it or not.

If you still don’t wanna believe it, you’re reading the words of a former D-1 SG.

So in today’s game, where it’s clearly more offensively advantageous to have a stretch big than a finisher clogging the paint, power dunkers who can’t shoot just don’t get as much tick …. Unless they’re truly great rim protection and great offensive rebounding.

Don't forget about Stro!

DeAndre Jordan's still kickin around on the Nuggets roster, albeit in very limited minutes. Altho he's like 36 years old now.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Don't forget about Stro!
    good call. swift could punish the rim too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

This guy too

Beyond the mega stars, I miss the average bum bigs who could fill a highlight reel with their power dunks. I'm talking the Stromile Swift and Tyrus Thomas's of the world.

And before we talk about stretch big replacing everyone, I get that. But back in the day, the Onyeka Okongwu's and Jonathan Isaac's had serious hops. Now they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    DeAndre Jordan's still kickin around on the Nuggets roster, albeit in very limited minutes. Altho he's like 36 years old now.
    There should be more though.

Actually I think I answered my own question. Wasn't Swift like a top 5 pick? Wasn't Thomas 2nd or 3rd? Josh Smith like a 4th pick? Tyson Chandler 2nd?

I think teams got tired of getting burned on picks and just got turned off from these types.

Dwight Howard and Blake Griffin. Even Carlos Boozer had some powerful poster dunks when he was more athletic in his Utah days. He's a guy people probably forget could throw it down. He didn't jump the highest, but he was super physical and aggressive. He was also one of if not the best finishers with either hand.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    Beyond the mega stars, I miss the average bum bigs who could fill a highlight reel with their power dunks. I'm talking the Stromile Swift and Tyrus Thomas's of the world.

And before we talk about stretch big replacing everyone, I get that. But back in the day, the Onyeka Okongwu's and Jonathan Isaac's had serious hops. Now they don't.

Could be in part about the spacing. When defense is packed in the paint and you have enforcers patrolling, you had to go up high and come down hard to finish in traffic. Now if you get by your man on a roll to the basket there's just a lot less resistance due to spacing. So just less incentive to expend the extra energy posterizing nobody.