Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I have to admit it. I might have flopped on a couple of those. You have to.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...y-Gobert/page4

Post 59

I guess I misremembered but you did say he had an official background

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: I have to admit it. I might have flopped on a couple of those. You have to.

Yea that’s pretty much the same thing I just said

Dikembe it’s only fair to say has a more official background. His dad was a teacher and he was gonna be a doctor before deciding on basketball which is why he was a 25 year old rookie…

But a 25 year old rookie who then played 18 years on top of it?

He should be the all time games leader if he came in at a normal age.

If he had a deathbed confession that he was 28 as a rookie I wouldn’t dismiss it. I’m sure he’s deeply offended by the idea but it is what it is.

he has paperwork because he was coming to America through the proper channels to go to school. Which is one reason he gets pissed off when people talk like he was from the jungle with no records. But that doesn’t mean the papers were accurate. It’s purely stereotypical but…it didn’t come from nowhere.

The list of players who were still star level at 39 is LeBron, Kareem and Karl Malone. I’d say it’s more likely he was 35.

The question is…how many 39-year-olds would be given the opportunity to prove they could still be good if the world believed they were much younger?

The guy who discovered Manute, and personally created an age out of thin air, believes he was 40ish when he first got to the league. Say he was even 35.

Hes not being drafted to begin with.

if Jamal were the age he looks there would he be given more of a chance to go prove what he could become? He still looked early 20s. I feel like if Spurs Dominique Wilkins were an unknown 20-year-old he might have had a better chance to be a star as the same player. Some of it is just the expectation that old people can’t play anymore.

We see them for what they lost instead of what they are. Without the player, they used to be to compare them to a lot more old guys might be considered good players. But of course, that goes both ways and sometimes we are slow to let go of somebody’s previous stardom.

Jamal was legitimately awful at that point, he just had a hot game. It happens. Seriously, you can't find many guys who played well at 39, even in limited minutes.

You strike me as the type who would think he was awful his entire career. And that’s kinda the point. Whatever he was….at 39 it had no leash. At 22…you see what he might become. It isn’t purely on merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    You strike me as the type who would think he was awful his entire career. And that’s kinda the point. Whatever he was….at 39 it had no leash. At 22…you see what he might become. It isn’t purely on merit.
    He was solid some years. Tended to be bad in the playoffs though. But he was pretty washed by then.

Age isn't a big deal at 35 if your job is to guard Shaq. Most of what you've lost by that age is irrelevant in this case. Maybe you're a little more sore the next day. That's about it.