Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Accept that you’re all casuals.

Not what JJ said(at all) but it’s how I took it.

Default Re: Accept that you’re all casuals.

A while ago I was spending time around a college program and was in some practices and then had a run of going down rabbit holes of different offenses pet plays how they work. The situations they are called. Who defends them best. I made a topic about it asking about how certain actions always work even when the D must know it’s coming and got this response

Don't really care. Just as long the game is exciting. We gucci.

which is fine. I readily acknowledge that I’m a bit of a weirdo about such things. Most fans just don’t care that much. Responses to JJs comment online suggests he’s right. People saying they have jobs and don’t have time to learn or a reason to care that much. But the same people often have such strong opinions.

Care enough to go down with the ship defending basketball opinions, but don’t care enough to sit for five minutes to learn more about basketball. Only watch coverage for the drama and highlights.

It inspires me to ask….

Do you consider yourself a casual fan? How do you distinguish between a casual and whatever you want to call more serious? Do you consider being called a casual to be an insult? Like someone is calling all your opinions invalid because you don’t care enough?

Does it matter to you if someone thinks you’re a casual or not? Does that word disrespect you?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Not what JJ said(at all) but it’s how I took it.

I don’t watch or listen to trashy sports talk.

But he’s not wrong, this isn’t anything new, we have all known for quite awhile about the cowherd, skip, SAS, tactic of just saying the most batshit crazy stuff to get clicks. People listen to a levelheaded legit take/breakdown and nod in approval and keep going on. When they hear colin cowherd talk about how matt ryan is better than Aaron Rogers….they go what the **** and send the link to a group chat where they all click it and laugh and send it to their peoples….and it goes round and round.

Saying something controversial and dividing sells more than dropping quality knowledge.

It’s sad, but true.

well it is entertainment afterall, so the answer is no, the average viewer doesn't give a sh1t about your breakdowns, they want to see drama and be entertained.

same reason why everyone wants to shoot 3s over honing their defensive or fundamental skills.

The Hoops Tonight podcast with Jason Timpf goes into details about the plays/counters for several games a week.

This applies to almost all facets of life. If Tarantino & Scorsese collaborated on a video detailing the intricacies and nuances of filmmaking, it literally wouldn't come within 100 million views of Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

Ditto a presidential candidate giving a detailed accounting of their policy and legislation objectives compared to Donald Trump insulting other politicians.

Controversy sells, it is what it is.

The answer is yes fans wants to be educated, just much less than they want drama. If Warren Buffet start a video series explaining how to make money, I'm certainly interested and might view it one day....or forget about it. But if he start dropping the N word while drunk in Walmart, I certainly would view that video right away.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I accepted the "casual" title when the board shifted to it being generally expected that an educated mind must be knowledgeable about advanced statistics. I just have an attitude about it because I'm sure that most of the people talking about things like PER don't have a full understanding of the mathematical formula. I actually do understand these formula I just don't care enough to study then in detail. Watching the game and listening to certain commentators (ironically like Redick) is enough basketball study for me. I fully accept that an NBA player normally has an understanding of the game that I'm not going to match. And it's not an important thing, after all coaches and players with a deep knowledge disagree with one another all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    I accepted the "casual" title when the board shifted to it being generally expected that an educated mind must be knowledgeable about advanced statistics. I just have an attitude about it because I'm sure that most of the people talking about things like PER don't have a full understanding of the mathematical formula. I actually do understand these formula I just don't care enough to study then in detail. Watching the game and listening to certain commentators (ironically like Redick) is enough basketball study for me. I fully accept that an NBA player normally has an understanding of the game that I'm not going to match. And it's not an important thing, after all coaches and players with a deep knowledge disagree with one another all the time.
    and you just aren’t very smart

It’s true but theres also levels to this shit.

For instance most of us (besides I’m Still Ballin) are relative casuals of the game itself, as in what happens between the whistles. The X’s and O’s, advanced data, fundamentals of execution. I think most of us like a bit of that mixed in with our intake, like frosting on a cake, rather than plopped down as a huge glob on its own.

That said, that is different from being a casual of the league. If you can match many dozens of players in the league name-to-face, know most of the coaches, know who won chips in a given year, follow the scores, follow the trades, as many here do… this is a different class than the “casual” viewer. The guy or girl who will know whatever league stories make big headlines and recognize the top 3-4 most famous players. They might stop on a game if theyre channel surfing but they dont look up who’s playing on a given night.

Those are the people the league targets to grow their audience. They dont care if you watch the game to closely scrutinize how different teams handle a Box-and-1, or just to see long jumpshot go splashhhh. They want people who watch less, to watch more. Which usually results in a dilution of the ‘integrity’ of the game or broadcast, whatever that may mean.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    and you just aren’t very smart
    How does it feel to get repeatedly clowned by an idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    How does it feel to get repeatedly clowned by an idiot?
    thanks for proving my point

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

We don't want knowledge that takes patience to understand and process. Our dopamine circuits have been short wired by the internet and TV. We want entertainment and we want it NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    The Hoops Tonight podcast with Jason Timpf goes into details about the plays/counters for several games a week.
    I’ll add it to the list. It’s approaching travel season and I blow through podcasts and audiobooks fast as hell.

Don Henley said it best back in 1982;

I make my livin' off the evenin' news
    Just give me somethin', somethin' I can use
    People love it when you lose
    They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda' been an actor, but I wound up here
    I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear
    Come and whisper in my ear
    Give us dirty laundry

We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
    It's interesting when people die