Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Tim Duncan's standing reach was crazy

I'm always amazed when watching him how little he had to jump to dunk the ball. There's no official measurement but I'd estimate his standing reach to be somewhere between 9'5" to 9'7". He's shorter than a lot of people realize, clocking in at around 6'10" barefoot.

Default Re: Tim Duncan's standing reach was crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    I'm always amazed when watching him how little he had to jump to dunk the ball. There's no official measurement but I'd estimate his standing reach to be somewhere between 9'5" to 9'7". He's shorter than a lot of people realize, clocking in at around 6'10" barefoot.

I doubt he's 6-10 barefoot, maaybe when he first came into the league, but he always looks solid when next to near 7 footers. He slouches a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer View Post
    I doubt he's 6-10 barefoot, maaybe when he first came into the league, but he always looks solid when next to near 7 footers. He slouches a lot too.
    Celebheights and Jonathan Givony (DraftExpress guy) both have Tim at 6'10" barefoot.

The Spurs’ statement on Duncan’s height in 1997 was "Duncan was listed at 6 feet 10 inches his senior year at Wake Forest. When we measured him at the pre-draft camp in Chicago, he was 6-11 1/2. The fact that he is 21 indicates that he might grow even more.”

I personally believe this was exaggerated and Duncan in reality is more likely closer to 6'10" barefoot.

- Source: https://www.draftexpress.com/article...urements-2912/ ©DraftExpress

Bruh all their heights are exaggerated. NBA heights are all exagerrated.

How many times do people need to be told this??

LaMarcus Aldridge was officially measured at 6'10" barefoot at the 2007 NBA draft combine. He and Tim look more or less the exact same height. Maybe LMA a little taller actually; maybe it's the age difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    LaMarcus Aldridge was officially measured at 6'10" barefoot at the 2007 NBA draft combine. He and Tim look more or less the exact same height. Maybe LMA a little taller actually; maybe it's the age difference?

As youve pointed out, height really doesnt even matter. Reach is what’s important. A guy could have a long neck and big head, and be a full 2.5 inches taller than a guy who has the exact same shoulder height and reach as him.

Reach is the thing.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Bill Walton is the only big man I can think of that was actually taller than his listed height.

Duncan is standing closer to the camera. Garnett was at least 1" taller than Tim if not 1.25".

Very good NBA starter

He wasn't a true-true 7 footer that's for sure, maybe 6-11 by NBA measurements, which are all exaggerated.

No doubt his overall physique was that of a center though. Someone like Garnett, you couldn't say he was a proper center, but Duncan was.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Def a 7 footer. And def a Center and not a PF.

Here's what Duncan looks like next to someone who's really close to 7' barefoot:

And Shaq, who's about 0.25" over 7' barefoot:

Last edited by Im Still Ballin; 02-22-2024 at 11:29 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Man tmacs legs were some toothpicks. His arms look bigger than his legs.

He could've benefitted from a few leg days.

In the last 20-30 years, almost all NBA players measured in shoes. Everyone is about an inch shorter barefoot. Shaq is 7'0'', Duncan is 6'10''. This isn't exactly news.

Anyways, Duncan is really underrated as an athlete. A huge almost 7 footer with a great vertical reach as OP, very quick for his size, and also super strong. Duncan was basically a C playing PF and was a tough match-up. If he didn't play in an era of Shaq, more people would be talking about his strength. Someone like KG had no chance handling Duncan down low.