Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Nets just fired their coach.

Posting this in case anyone cares. It's unfair in that you don't expect a coach to succeed with no stars and being forced to rely on Ben Simmons. But in the other hand a great coach might have done better?

Default Re: Nets just fired their coach.

Coaches are unfortunately in a tough position.

Does one want the team to perform to the best of their ability and sacrifice the potential of a higher draft pick?
    Or does one play it conservative and keep players healthy and fresh and hope for a franchise-player?

Just tough... all I know is that GMs should be getting the boot as much as the coaches. They get their fair share of the criticism partly because they're out of the public eye.

I don't think anyone in the FO expected the team to be good, but they've still underperformed relative to their expectations and Vaughn was not that good of a coach. They don't have the pick (2024 unprotected 1st is going to Houston) so it's not like they could tank the season either. They're trying to win and are failing. They're still only 2.5 games out of the Play-In so it's not like the season's over, a healthy Ben Simmons could make a difference.

Apparently Bridges was the one to call out the coach for his offensive schemes and is upset that they're not running the offense through Ben Simmons more. Simmons was out for most of the season and is still not 100% so it's not like he's had the opportunity to make adjustments around Ben, but I guess Bridges and the FO were not happy with how they ran the offense after Ben did return. I've seen some of their games and the stats also show that they've been struggling on offense as of late. They lost A LOT and the schedule was brutal for them for the past month, but I guess the players grew upset with the coach instead of being realistic about where their team really is in terms of talent.

bridges has plateaued, miscast as a 1st or 2nd option. If the nets rejected the supposed houston offer of all their own picks back, then they really believe they can be competitive. honestly think they shouldve tanked even without their own picks, memphis offered 4 1st for bridges last year. I think he doesnt get 3 now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Expecting anything from Simmons is a problem

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Coaches are unfortunately in a tough position.

Does one want the team to perform to the best of their ability and sacrifice the potential of a higher draft pick?
    Or does one play it conservative and keep players healthy and fresh and hope for a franchise-player?

Just tough... all I know is that GMs should be getting the boot as much as the coaches. They get their fair share of the criticism partly because they're out of the public eye.
    In a way the GM was fired when they traded away Irving and Durant. From the moment they were brought in the stars had all the power. They had Atkinson replaced as coach and picked his successor. Likely also had to approve Vaughn. When the players control the front office it's tough figure out who is really to blame. I guess the finger is too be pointed at whoever agreed to give Durant all the power that he in turn used to empower Irving to do whatever he wanted to. The GM possibly didn't start making his own decisions until they finally got rid of Irving. Very good chance the Nets would have had Atkinson as coach this whole time if they had not given up control.

Is he good? Can he coach Lebron?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    I don't think anyone in the FO expected the team to be good, but they've still underperformed relative to their expectations
    Who expected anything at all? The only team in their division they had a real shot at being better than is the Raptors.
    and Vaughn was not that good of a coach. They don't have the pick (2024 unprotected 1st is going to Houston) so it's not like they could tank the season either. They're trying to win and are failing. They're still only 2.5 games out of the Play-In so it's not like the season's over, a healthy Ben Simmons could make a difference.
    Vaughn never got a healthy Ben Simmons if such a thing exists. They have Mikal Bridges, good player but not an allstar, and then Cam Thomas who has offensive explosions every few nights but is really just a bench scorer on a good team.

Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: The Nets are talking with assistant Kevin Ollie on the interim head coaching job and are expected to talk more today. Ollie — who had a 13-year NBA playing career — won the 2014 NCAA title as UConn’s coach and joined Nets this season after two years running Overtime Elite.
    – via Twitter wojespn

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Adrian Wojnarowski: ESPN Sources: The Nets are talking with assistant Kevin Ollie on the interim head coaching job and are expected to talk more today. Ollie — who had a 13-year NBA playing career — won the 2014 NCAA title as UConn’s coach and joined Nets this season after two years running Overtime Elite.
    – via Twitter wojespn
    I wonder what point this serves. They went with Ollie because he knows the system, right? If they aren't going to change the system (and after 50 games how can you?) and are a play-in team at best, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by NBAGOAT View Post
    bridges has plateaued, miscast as a 1st or 2nd option. If the nets rejected the supposed houston offer of all their own picks back, then they really believe they can be competitive. honestly think they shouldve tanked even without their own picks, memphis offered 4 1st for bridges last year. I think he doesnt get 3 now.
    Definitley overpaid and overrated because of that one great defensive season, before Luka, Powell, Maxi all showed how to body his extremely slim frame with picks and bumps, into on-ball ineffectiveness against heavier players.

Brooklyn is also one of the least patient, most abrasively uncomfortable places to be overpaid and underachieving in.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Posting this in case anyone cares. It's unfair in that you don't expect a coach to succeed with no stars and being forced to rely on Ben Simmons. But in the other hand a great coach might have done better?
    Nets probably never wanted him but they could not dismiss him after the way he finished the season. The timing feels like Nets were just biding their time for an opportunity to can him that would not make them look bad to the public.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    I don't think anyone in the FO expected the team to be good, but they've still underperformed relative to their expectations and Vaughn was not that good of a coach. They don't have the pick (2024 unprotected 1st is going to Houston) so it's not like they could tank the season either. They're trying to win and are failing. They're still only 2.5 games out of the Play-In so it's not like the season's over, a healthy Ben Simmons could make a difference.

Apparently Bridges was the one to call out the coach for his offensive schemes and is upset that they're not running the offense through Ben Simmons more. Simmons was out for most of the season and is still not 100% so it's not like he's had the opportunity to make adjustments around Ben, but I guess Bridges and the FO were not happy with how they ran the offense after Ben did return. I've seen some of their games and the stats also show that they've been struggling on offense as of late. They lost A LOT and the schedule was brutal for them for the past month, but I guess the players grew upset with the coach instead of being realistic about where their team really is in terms of talent.
    Can you share what the expectations were? Is it a certain record? If so, what is a realistic record?

If you think it might be something else, I'm curious what that might be. DFS has fallen off a cliff, Simmons has wasted 30% of the cap on a player that doesn't play.

I'm really confused by this one.

Mike Budenholzer currently bills as the most decorated coach on the market and shares obvious Spurs roots with Sean Marks. There will be other names to emerge after this postseason shakes out, like Budenholzer before, and Pelicans assistant James Borrego, who has past experience leading Charlotte, was a candidate to join Vaughn’s bench this past summer, sources said.
    – via Yahoo! Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Who expected anything at all? The only team in their division they had a real shot at being better than is the Raptors. Vaughn never got a healthy Ben Simmons if such a thing exists. They have Mikal Bridges, good player but not an allstar, and then Cam Thomas who has offensive explosions every few nights but is really just a bench scorer on a good team.
    I think they expected to be a .500/Play-In team. They're still relatively close to that but obviously had a horrible month and the best players on the team had problems with the coach. They have a bunch of 2nd tier guys and a decent cast of role players. They shouldn't be having a worse season than the Bulls.

They don't have a 1st round pick so they have no incentive to lose games. The more they lose, the worse the Harden trade ends up looking in retrospect .

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    Can you share what the expectations were? Is it a certain record? If so, what is a realistic record?

If you think it might be something else, I'm curious what that might be. DFS has fallen off a cliff, Simmons has wasted 30% of the cap on a player that doesn't play.

I'm really confused by this one.
    Obviously the talent isn't there for them to make any real noise, but they definitely want to be in the Playoff race and at least make the Play-In. I don't think any FO wants a pick that they traded away to end up high in the lottery. It's already bad enough that the KD/Kyrie experiment failed.