Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore RachlNicholsazz's Avatar

Default Re: Would you take Wemby over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, etc?

The obvious answer is no, hell no and no

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    And most of these seasons are not from the modern era. If we go by the last 30 years Wemby's is up there with TD and Lebron. I think that qualifies as one of the best rookie seasons. Doesn't have top be a top 5 contender. For Wemby to put up 20/10 3 blocks at 19/20 years old is fking impressive man. He's younger than all the guys on your list were.
    You didn't say the last 30 years. Didn't know we weren't counting the 80's or the GOAT. Younger in a younger league. No one was playing against 19 year olds then. The modern era is supposed to mean something with the numbers being put up now? He's impressive but not one of the best rookie years ever.

He's high in defensive rating, Def reb %, def. box +/-. Offensive numbers not highly ranked unless usage and turnovers get you excited. Probably one of the best defensive rookies ever anyway or at least one of top two this season

Chet high in def. Rating, def. box +/-, def. win shares, win shares, vorp, eff. fg%. Better two way player

Right now it would be hard to take Wemby over Chet. Could change?
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 02-17-2024 at 11:51 AM.

I'm not sure what question is being asked. Are you asking if you would take Wemby over those guys if they were all in the same draft, or are you taking Wemby based on his potential( and 'guaranteed' health) with the hindset of knowing what those guys became?

People have short memories. There is A LOT of better rookies in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    People have short memories. There is A LOT of better rookies in NBA history.
    only last 30 years. The rest of history doesn't count

And most of these seasons are not from the modern era. If we go by the last 30 years Wemby's is up there with TD and Lebron. I think that qualifies as one of the best rookie seasons. Doesn't have top be a top 5 contender. For Wemby to put up 20/10 3 blocks at 19/20 years old is fking impressive man. He's younger than all the guys on your list were.
    That is a key issue. It isn't really fair to compare him to guys who spent 3/4 years in college. He just turned 20 ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    That is a key issue. It isn't really fair to compare him to guys who spent 3/4 years in college. He just turned 20 ffs.
    the guys that spent time in college weren't playing professionally and they weren't playing against 19 year olds either when they entered the league either

Facts Are Misleading

How does it make you feel that Wemby is a better player in his rookie year than Gobart has ever been in his life?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    the guys that spent time in college weren't playing professionally and they weren't playing against 19 year olds either when they entered the league either
    There is a big maturity difference between a 19 yr old and a 21/22 yr old, both mentally and physically.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    There is a big maturity difference between a 19 yr old and a 21/22 yr old, both mentally and physically.
    yep and until the mid 90's NBA rookies were playing against few 19 year olds

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    How does it make you feel that Wemby is a better player in his rookie year than Gobart has ever been in his life?
    The potential goat is supposed to be better than a late first round project. He isn't there yet. If he was the Spurs wouldn't suck. If he puts in the work like Gobert has and can somehow not snap in 2 he might get there.

Victor is ahead in Def reb. % because Gobert is sharing them with Towns. Gobert 1st in def. rating. Wemby 5th. Gobert is 1st in def. win shares. Wemby 15th. Gobert 5th in off reb %. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 3rd overall reb % Wemby 10th. Gobert 14th in off rating. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 10th win shares per 48. Wemby no where to be found. Def win shares Gobert 1st. Wemby 15th. Gobert 5th in win shares. Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 17th in minutes played. Wemby huffing and puffing. Gobert 19th in games. Wemby huffing and puffing. ts% Gobert 8th. Wemby no where to be found. eff fg% Gobert 6th Wemby no where to be found. Gobert 10th in 2 pt FG% Wemby no where to be found. FG% Gobert 4th Wemby no where to be found. Wins Gobert. Wemby owns usage, turnovers and losses though! Facts vs hype.

Nice showing for the kid. Still a ways to go. I'm sure he'll learn plenty playing next to the soon to be 4 time DPOTY this summer. He should try to get up to fellow rookie Chet's level before he worries about an all NBAer though
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 02-17-2024 at 01:45 PM.

I can't go that far just yet. His defense has been as good as projected from day one; his offense is trending upwards rapidly. But we'll have to see how things pan out.

Some defensive numbers...

Victor Wembanyama 2023-24:

Defensive rating ON-COURT: 115.2
    Defensive rating OFF-COURT: 122.3

Defensive rating ON-OFF: +7.1

That's the equivalent of being the 15th-best defense when he's on the court versus the 30th (worst) when he's off it. The league average offensive rating is 115.9, so Victor has the defense performing slightly above average.

Let's also remember that Victor was played out of position for the first 19 games. A week or two ago it was reported that he had the Spurs at a 112 defensive rating since moving positions when he was on the court. That was good for 7th in the league at the time. So, -3.9 rDRtg and +10.3 ON-OFF if we use the current off-court number.

Insane impact on defense. Going from performing like the 7th-best defense when he's on the court to the 30th when he's off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    You didn't say the last 30 years. Didn't know we weren't counting the 80's or the GOAT. Younger in a younger league. No one was playing against 19 year olds then. The modern era is supposed to mean something with the numbers being put up now? He's impressive but not one of the best rookie years ever.
    If I told you that Jokic was one of the greatest players of all-time, you wouldn't respond to me with a "oh well here's 10 players who had better careers so you're wrong".

His rookie season is top 5 in the modern era and easily top 20 overall so he in fact is having one of the best rookie seasons ever. And lol @ listing me guys from the 60s & 70s and then trying to make the "modern era inflated stats" argument. You can do better.

If I told you that Jokic was one of the greatest players of all-time, you wouldn't respond to me with a "oh well here's 10 players who had better careers so you're wrong".

His rookie season is top 5 in the modern era and easily top 20 overall so he in fact is having one of the best rookie seasons ever. And lol @ listing me guys from the 60s & 70s and then trying to make the "modern era inflated stats" argument. You can do better.
    Sorry I'm an antique. I remember the GOAT's rookie year back in the prehistoric age. Didn't know it wasn't modern because the defense could touch the offense