Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Would you take Wemby over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, etc?

Lets say there's a guarantee that Wemby will be relatively healthy his whole career. Based on what you're seeing now, would you take him over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, or whoever else comes to mind?

Default Re: Would you take Wemby over Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan, etc?

If these guys were magically in the same draft and this draft was in let's say 1998, Duncan and Hakeem probably. Shaq, no.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

I would literally take him over every player ever as a 18 year old if you guaranteed his health….wemby right now is = to AD….as a 18 year old rookie he is already = to a future 1st ballot hall of famer in his prime….let that sink in

Imagine wtf he is going to be doing in 10 years if he actually has a high work ethic

Edit just looked it up he’s 20….hmmm I’m too lazy to delete the above but that does change things. I thought he was 18 this whole time. I don’t know if I’d take him over Bron and MJ now
    Last edited by Mask the Embiid; 02-17-2024 at 09:35 AM.

Even if guaranteed health I wouldn't be bold enough to take him over those guys just yet. We need to see him on a good team first and whether he can perform in big games. Right now he's allowed to make mistakes and lose games. Teams game plan against him since he's the only good player on his team, but at the same time they don't need to take him out of the game to beat his team, so I think the level of competition still isn't as high for him just yet.

He's having one of the best rookie seasons ever but we've seen plenty of young players that had mad potential but stopped working on their game once they got the money. Let's see how he does once he gets that max contract and is expected to win games.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Even if guaranteed health I wouldn't be bold enough to take him over those guys just yet. We need to see him on a good team first and whether he can perform in big games. Right now he's allowed to make mistakes and lose games. Teams game plan against him since he's the only good player on his team, but at the same time they don't need to take him out of the game to beat his team, so I think the level of competition still isn't as high for him just yet.

He's having one of the best rookie seasons ever but we've seen plenty of young players that had mad potential but stopped working on their game once they got the money. Let's see how he does once he gets that max contract and is expected to win games.
    one of the best rookie seasons ever? Might not even be having the best one this year

Facts Are Misleading

There's no maybe about it right now. He is the ROY.currently.

Facts Are Misleading

In fact, the distance is even greater than I thought.

He is -800 favorite to win the award. He's a massive favorite.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

He's got so far to go to be compared to those guys. With what they let Giannis get away with Shaq would literally break today's league. He'd ragdoll everybody to a criminal degree.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    In fact, the distance is even greater than I thought.

He is -800 favorite to win the award. He's a massive favorite.
    Wemby is awesome but that's the NBA marketing machine at work. They won't give it to Chet because he's a boring white guy whose not really marketable.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-roo...rick-alexander

he's not close. One of the best of the 2020's maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    one of the best rookie seasons ever? Might not even be having the best one this year
    Even if someone was better than Wemby this year his would still be among the best ever.

Chet had the lead in the advanced stuff early on but you do understand the pace Wemby has been on for about 2 months now?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe View Post
    Even if someone was better than Wemby this year his would still be among the best ever.

Chet had the lead in the advanced stuff early on but you do understand the pace Wemby has been on for about 2 months now?
    guys have won championships and mvp's in tougher eras with a lot greater stats. He's not close. I understand Wemby is having a good year rookie year on an awful team.

guys have won championships and mvp's in tougher eras with a lot greater stats. He's not close. I understand Wemby is having a good year rookie year on an awful team.
    Ok, but most rookies (the top picks at least) have been on bad teams, and his season ranks among the best all-time. Like top 10 all-time and I'm not saying he's a contender for best ever since we've had so many great ones from Magic, MJ, TD, Bird, but considering his age and the pressure that was put on him, he's easily there with Lebron (who also put up decent numbers on a bad team) as far as the best rookie seasons go.

Chet has measured up to Wemby on D and u might even want to give him more credit since he's doing it on a better team, but Wemby's offense has been great for a long stretch now. He's averaging 23/10/4 1.1 stls 3.3 blks on 50/36/84 splits over his last 20 games.

Magic didn't win with 18/8/7.
    Wilt 38 and 27 and MVP
    Oscar 31/10/10
    Kareem 29/15
    MJ 28/7/6
    Baylor 25/15
    Unseld 14/19 MVP
    Bellamy 32/19
    Lucas 17/17
    Robinson 24/12/4 blks best Spur rookie year?
    Bird 21/10

a lot of these guys turned bad teams into good ones which Wemby hasn't done either

Magic didn't win with 18/8/7.
    Wilt 38 and 27 and MVP
    Oscar 31/10/10
    Kareem 29/15
    MJ 28/7/6
    Baylor 25/15
    Unseld 14/19 MVP
    Bellamy 32/19
    Lucas 17/17
    Robinson 24/12/4 blks best Spur rookie year?
    Bird 21/10

a lot of these guys turned bad teams into good ones which Wemby hasn't done either
    And most of these seasons are not from the modern era. If we go by the last 30 years Wemby's is up there with TD and Lebron. I think that qualifies as one of the best rookie seasons. Doesn't have top be a top 5 contender. For Wemby to put up 20/10 3 blocks at 19/20 years old is fking impressive man. He's younger than all the guys on your list were.