Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    This one hurt too. Seeing the Magic players lift Horace Grant on their shoulders at the United Center in '95 pissed me off LOL.
    Horace was the entire difference. He had the series of his life after we spent the whole year missing him.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Also seeing Indurain get left behind in Tour De France was a pivotal, old lion falling from grace, moment.

lions this year was pretty bad and everyone saw it coming too in the 3rd quarter.

Attended game 4 of the 2016 Finals. After that, GS being up 3-1 and thought the Cavs had zero chance of winning that series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

2017 finals game 3
    Nets Bucks game 7
    2024 Superbowl

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I lost a bet to a guy at work that started when they were already down three to one. He had such faith in LeBron he took that bet already down 3-1 and I lost it. I don’t know why I ever bothered. I couldn’t in good conscience make the bet even. It was like 20 bucks or something if I won and 100 or more if he won. I don’t remember the exact number but he was willing to do it straight up. But I saw it like stealing his money. And they ****ing won.

I won the next couple years though.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The Dolphins were 12-4 that year and had the 2nd best record in the league
    True, but their defense was not very good. They barely beat 8-8 Cleveland in the first round and then got annihilated by New England in Miami the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Horace was the entire difference. He had the series of his life after we spent the whole year missing him.
    Yeah, Jackson said they're going to let him have the jump shot. And to his credit he hit them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    True, but their defense was not very good. They barely beat 8-8 Cleveland in the first round and then got annihilated by New England in Miami the next week.
    as I said Marino never had a D or a running game outside his rookie year

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    was just having this conversation with with a lifelong Dallas friend who's a major sports fan .... He went with the 2011 Texas Rangers, losing game 6 in the World Series to St. Louis.

I went with #1 seed Dallas Cowboys losing the divisional to the NYG in 2007. That's the game Terrell Owens cried.

Til this day... I can still vividly remember how mad I was.

Mavericks had just choked a 2-0 lead to Miami in the Finals the year before... and then the Cowboys went and did what they did and choked away 13-3 record and lost in the divisional.

and to make matters worse Dirk won the MVP... goes 67-15... and loses to a #8 seed in the first round.

The only city that I can think of that has a horror story worse than mine would be people living in Atlanta.

Maybe Phoenix natives have some pretty bad stories.

would be impossible for me to feel sorry for anybody living in Boston. Those MFers have been spoiled with championships the last 20 years.
    7:39

The most painful loss I've witnessed a team have is the Seahawks against the Patriots. When you factor in everything, going for a repeat, the absolutely miraculous, batshit crazy win they had against the Packers, then another stroke of luck with Jermaine Kearse's insane catch on the final drive, everything looked like it was set up for the Seahawks to claim b2b titles.

I honestly can't think of another example where a fanbase went from certain championship victory to heartbreaking defeat SO abruptly, the span of a 2 second play. Seattle honestly should have been the dynasty of the 2010's, most of their core was in their mid 20's, they were a yard away from taking down all the elite QB's of that era; Brees, Rodgers, Peyton & Brady, over those 2 title runs. And the worst part is, it was completely self inflicted, and the franchise never truly recovered or came close to reaching those heights again.

Runner up goes to the Falcons, I don't even need to specify which game I'm referring to, which you know means it was a truly epic and historic defeat.

Bronze goes to the 18-1 Pats, I know they won 6 rings with Brady, but to be THAT close to an undefeated season/GOAT team status has to always remain at least somewhat painful.

Lakers vs Kings fix.

Truly disgusting.

That 2007 game still gets me hyped. Typical Dallas, go 2-0 against them in the reg season and then give it up. The back to back intentional groundings by Romo still crack me

To be fair, the Giants were playoff juggernauts that year, they DID beat some dominant teams that playoffs of course the undefeated pats as well

Pacers choking against the Knicks in 99. Lockout really messed things up especially for the older teams.

Tuck Rule game which is funny because I’m not really a football fan but I really wanted the raiders to win that game.

Lakers choking the 2004 finals or Kobe tearing his Achilles are the basketball ones