Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    Redskins were a dominant team in the 1980's.

Again... I was just a child, but I do remember the 80's Bears & Redskins being up there with the 80's 49ers.
    As a Bears fan, there's only been two sporting events that brought me to tears.

1. December 1985, losing the perfect season to the Miami Dolphins on MNF. I was in a hotel room in Houston, TX...I cried that night.

2. Losing to the Redskins in 1986 and 1987, especially 1987. I had just joined the Navy and recently transferred to the sub base in Charleston, SC the day before the game. Watched it by myself and teared up when they lost 21-17. It was also Walter Payton's last game.
    Last edited by RogueBorg; 02-16-2024 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Bears had one great season. Skins had a few not up with the Niners. Dolphins lost 2
    The Bears were really good from 1984-1988, winning one Super Bowl and going to 3 NFC Championship games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Injuries aside it has to be the Nick Anderson steal versus Jordan. And Horace Grant hustling down there to get the game-winning dunk off of it, didn’t help.
    This one hurt too. Seeing the Magic players lift Horace Grant on their shoulders at the United Center in '95 pissed me off LOL.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I'm still pissed off about that bullshit holding call in the Super bowl to effectively end the game last year.

And this shot by John Lucas Jr. to end St. Joe's perfect season led by delonte west and jameer Nelson.

KB tearing his achilles after putting in all that effort to keep the 2013 season alive. Basically ended his career and put the Lakers into tank mode for 4 years. Me (and most Laker fans) before that game believed they could make a run as they were a top 5 team post-ASB with KB and Dwight peaking at the right time in March/April.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogueBorg View Post
    As a Bears fan, there's only been two sporting events that brought me to tears.

1. December 1985, losing the perfect season to the Miami Dolphins on MNF. I was in a hotel room in Houston, TX...I cried that night.

2. Losing to the Redskins in 1986 and 1987, especially 1987. I had just joined the Navy and recently transferred to the sub base in Charleston, SC the day before the game. Watched it by myself and teared up when they lost 21-17. It was also Walter Payton's last game.
    One of my favorite games ever. Phins weren't very good that year but Shula wasn't letting anyone else go undefeated. Scored on every possession in the first half! Had Marino rolling out of the pocket away from the vaunted 46 D instead of his usual straight drop back. Great game plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    One of my favorite games ever. Phins weren't very good that year but Shula wasn't letting anyone else go undefeated. Scored on every possession in the first half! Had Marino rolling out of the pocket away from the vaunted 46 D instead of his usual straight drop back. Great game plan!
    The Dolphins were 12-4 that year and had the 2nd best record in the league
    Last edited by SouBeachTalents; 02-16-2024 at 11:52 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Tuck rule game sucked, losing the AFC championship the year prior to that Ravens team also hurt. All the playoff Raiders playoff loses from 2000-2002 really. 2004 NBA Finals because the loss was so unexpected and you knew it was the end of the Shaq/Kobe era.

More recent? Derek Carr breaking his fibula vs the Colts on a Christmas Eve game I believe, we finally had our first winning season in like 14 years and just like that it was over.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt View Post
    A tie for me:

2019 Wimbledon Final - - Federer up 2 match points on his serve in the 5th set. On one of them a fault was called (replay later showed it was good) but Federer did not challenge the call, did a second serve (instead of getting another first serve) and lost the point. Djokovic eventually won 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3).

2013 NBA Finals - Ray's 3 point shot.
    wtf are you talking about?

That never happened.

On the first MP he netted the serve, on the 2nd he got the first in.

On deuce he hit a wide serve which was close but looked wide and no one ever considered it being in and there was never a replay showing it in.
    Last edited by ArbitraryWater; 02-16-2024 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    Tuck rule game sucked, losing the AFC championship the year prior to that Ravens team also hurt. 2004 NBA Finals because the loss was so unexpected.

More recent? Derek Carr breaking his fibula vs the Colts on a Christmas Eve game I believe, we finally had our first winning season in like 14 years and just like that it was over.
    I will never understand how they allowed Shannon Sharpe to go 96 yards on 3rd & 18 They get a stop there that literally changes the entire complexion of the game.

2000-02 was a painful stretch for the Raiders.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    2000-02 was a painful stretch for the Raiders.
    It was actually a beautiful stretch considering how awful we have been ever since then.

Funny enough, one of my earliest and favorite Raiders moments came in 1999, week 17 vs the Chiefs. We knock them out of the playoffs in a crazy OT game on the road. My older brother was in a serious car accident 2 days before that game, so watching that game was for sure helpful therapy. Crazy enough Derrick Thomas (KC legend) would die in a car accident a month after this game.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    The Dolphins were 12-4 that year and had the 2nd best record in the league
    Guess I remembered it wrong. Just the D and running game sucked as it did pretty much Marino's whole career outside his rookie year

Very good NBA starter

I think seeing Mike Tyson comeback was the first major reality check for young me.

Iron Mike hype was off the chart, his comeback fight was a huuuuge deal with people gathering in bars everywhere for the pay pr. view. Then it was a very dissapointing fight and eventually the whole earbite thing. Just a massive letdown in all ways. Fall of an american anti-hero. Very symbolic of the 90s. American exceptionalism on the decline.

I was in Canada watching with Canadians. Way to represent Iron Mike

When I was in highschool I use to watch wrestling when it was cool and in its prime IMO... I recall seeing Owen Hart fall maybe 50ft to his death. I think it was one of the most hartbreaking [sic] things i've witnessed... I was conflicted if it was real or somehow fake until the news broke out.

Now I know this really isn't a sporting event since it's all scripted, but man... it was memorable.