Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

was just having this conversation with with a lifelong Dallas friend who's a major sports fan .... He went with the 2011 Texas Rangers, losing game 6 in the World Series to St. Louis.

I went with #1 seed Dallas Cowboys losing the divisional to the NYG in 2007. That's the game Terrell Owens cried.

Til this day... I can still vividly remember how mad I was.

Mavericks had just choked a 2-0 lead to Miami in the Finals the year before... and then the Cowboys went and did what they did and choked away 13-3 record and lost in the divisional.

and to make matters worse Dirk won the MVP... goes 67-15... and loses to a #8 seed in the first round.

The only city that I can think of that has a horror story worse than mine would be people living in Atlanta.

Maybe Phoenix natives have some pretty bad stories.

would be impossible for me to feel sorry for anybody living in Boston. Those MFers have been spoiled with championships the last 20 years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Default Re: What's the most heartbreaking sporting event you've ever experinced?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Dallas lost to the Lakers in the 87/88 season game 7 of the WCF... I was too young at the time to remember there ever being any hype about it.

Anyways, sorry that Dallas didn't take care of business that year... we got close.

What about Calvin Booth?

Dallas would have beat the Jazz. Jazz matched up well with Lakers. Choked

And just think of all the other options you left on the table; Romo fumble, Dez catch, Rodgers throw, 44-6, losing 3 straight week 17 games with the division at stake.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

A princess in a foreign country traveled in a game 7 and the refs refused to call it.

The Most Hated Man Mask the Embiid's Avatar

Kawhi Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Redskins were a dominant team in the 1980's.

Again... I was just a child, but I do remember the 80's Bears & Redskins being up there with the 80's 49ers.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    And just think of all the other options you left on the table; Romo fumble, Dez catch, Rodgers throw, 44-6, losing 3 straight week 17 games with the division at stake.
    All 3 of those playoff losses to GB were tough. Romo's Seattle fumble pissed me off... but we knew the team wasn't a true contender that year. 44-6 did make it into the Silver Lining's Playbook movie... but for whatever reason I wasn't heartbroken after that loss... just disappointed.

I think the GB loss in 2016 was more difficult to watch than the Dez catch in 2014. Looking Back, I really wish we had given Romo one last opportunity instead of going with rookie Dak Prescott.

But... yea... out of all those f*ck ups.... nothing hurt more than losing to the NY Giants in 2007.... it was more devastating to me than the Cowboys losing to the 49ers in 1994/95 NFC championship.

If the Mavs had not won it all in 2011... the 2006 NBA Finals would currently rank as the #1 heartbreak

2011 Mavericks are the real "redeem team".

Joe Ingles bumping into Kawhi's knee in 2021 and tearing his ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsday Dallas View Post
    Redskins were a dominant team in the 1980's.

Again... I was just a child, but I do remember the 80's Bears & Redskins being up there with the 80's 49ers.
    Bears had one great season. Skins had a few not up with the Niners. Dolphins lost 2

I dont really have any for the teams i rooted for. The memorable ones were from other teams, the Atlanta Super Bowl and the Earnest Byner fumble for the Browns back in the 80s.

Wizards haven't been good enough to be in a position to break anyone's heart.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Injuries aside it has to be the Nick Anderson steal versus Jordan. And Horace Grant hustling down there to get the game-winning dunk off of it, didn’t help.

A tie for me:

2019 Wimbledon Final - - Federer up 2 match points on his serve in the 5th set. On one of them a fault was called (replay later showed it was good) but Federer did not challenge the call, did a second serve (instead of getting another first serve) and lost the point. Djokovic eventually won 7-6 (5), 1-6, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 13-12 (3).

2013 NBA Finals - Ray's 3 point shot.