Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: The MVP race is completely open now

Ant belongs in the conversation I would say, but I don’t think the voters are ready to acknowledge him. SGA either. They’re usually a year or two late to accept new made men.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    The Success thing is weird, considering he’s already been to the finals. How many people win MVP before they even get that far? Giannis Harden Jokic Rose Nash, Jordan, David Robinson, KG Iverson curry Barkley. More I’m sure, but that was just a random string off the top of my head

Feels like most people become MVPs before they have more playoff success than Tatum. I don’t think he is the MVP but it will be a pretty inconsistent reason to say he isn’t. Not that the process is usually consistent to begin with.
    It isn't a logical reason to say he isn't the most valuable player but if that's how the voters feel there's nothing to be done about it.

Ant belongs in the conversation I would say, but I don’t think the voters are ready to acknowledge him. SGA either. They’re usually a year or two late to accept new made men.
    SGA has a very real chance this year and is currently on a lot of shortlists you see posted around online. Largely on the perception that he has far less “help” than guys like Ant or most of the other candidates while having a top record. Whether thats true or not is hard to say because a team as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I think people believe that without SGA the Thunder would be the Pistons, which is simply not true but thats how people look at it. Nobody else on the team has any historical pedigree so the credit is given entirely to their All Star. Not to take anything away from him, he’s been terrific, but in reality it’s not that simple.

I think the advanced metrics and the eye test will tell you SGA is on the bottom end of the top tier, rather than leading it, but again it’s more of a narrative thing. Voters may easily feel like he best fits the criteria for their arbitrary narratives.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

And this is why I think Jokic has the best chance still. He may not be as deserving as he was last year (he is not so far) but if there is no clear cut winner he may just get it on name recognition. Luka could actually beat him if Dallas ends the season very strong. But I really have no idea this year.

Sga should win it, since he's brought the thunder to somewhere bet. the 4th-6th seed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    SGA has a very real chance this year and is currently on a lot of shortlists you see posted around online. Largely on the perception that he has far less “help” than guys like Ant or most of the other candidates while having a top record. Whether thats true or not is hard to say because a team as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I think people believe that without SGA the Thunder would be the Pistons, which is simply not true but thats how people look at it. Nobody else on the team has any historical pedigree so the credit is given entirely to their All Star. Not to take anything away from him, he’s been terrific, but in reality it’s not that simple.

I think the advanced metrics and the eye test will tell you SGA is on the bottom end of the top tier, rather than leading it, but again it’s more of a narrative thing. Voters may easily feel like he best fits the criteria for their arbitrary narratives.

SGA currently leads the league in win shares and win shares per 48. He is 3rd in BPM and 2nd in VORP. If the advanced metrics have counted for Jokic in recent years they should count for SGA too.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    SGA currently leads the league in win shares and win shares per 48. He is 3rd in BPM and 2nd in VORP. If the advanced metrics have counted for Jokic in recent years they should count for SGA too.

Thats fair, I honestly dont follow the advanced metrics closely or know which is which, I just saw it posted somewhere and the ones they used had him more in the 5-6 range for a lot of things. But this was also a little while back so it may have changed.

SGA is remarkably consistent and very valuable, what I see when I watch is hes slightly less dominant than Embiid (who is out now) or even Doncic, and he also has a lower ceiling than Jokic and Giannis. And the thing is these guys also play near their ceiling pretty consistently (except Jokic this year).

So if the question is “Who is the best regular season player this year” then I think it goes without saying Lebron is that guy, but even after him I think Shai is not quite in that top group, despite being very close. But when you factor in narrative he has a very good shot.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Thats fair, I honestly dont follow the advanced metrics closely or know which is which, I just saw it posted somewhere and the ones they used had him more in the 5-6 range for a lot of things. But this was also a little while back so it may have changed.

SGA is remarkably consistent and very valuable, what I see when I watch is hes slightly less dominant than Embiid (who is out now) or even Doncic, and he also has a lower ceiling than Jokic and Giannis. And the thing is these guys also play near their ceiling pretty consistently (except Jokic this year).

So if the question is “Who is the best regular season player this year” then I think it goes without saying Lebron is that guy, but even after him I think Shai is not quite in that top group, despite being very close. But when you factor in narrative he has a very good shot.
    Lebron probably top 5 on the Lakers anyway. Maybe he'll get a banner for participation

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    Lebron probably top 5 on the Lakers anyway. Maybe he'll get a banner for participation

Lebron James IS that guy. Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz View Post
    I don’t know if the advanced numbers are why Jokic won. There are definitely people who factor it in heavily, but even they are inconsistent. Like that guy who voted Kessler for rookie of the year using Advance numbers as is only justification then turning around and not voting Jokic for MVP. Turned out he was just a Jazz writer trying to justify his bias. I feel like anyone being honest with themselves, can just look at him play and understand that Jokic is ****ing ridiculous. I don’t know if SGA grabs you the same way. I love his game but Jokic has that at a glance special quality. At least if you aren’t the type who only sees that in athletic feats.

Jokic and Luka have the edge on SGA there and it is a factor.

Really I just don’t know what they’re gonna do. Like 4 people could win it and not surprise me.

Facts Are Misleading

Vegas odds suggest it's a two man race.

Jokic is a -140 favorite and Shai a +210 underdog.

Everyone else is far away from them. Almost +1000 odds for #3 Giannis.

Feels like a good time to put something on Tatum. His odds must be outrageous.

I think it's between Luka and Jokic.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

I don’t know if the advanced numbers are why Jokic won. There are definitely people who factor it in heavily, but even they are inconsistent. Like that guy who voted Kessler for rookie of the year using Advance numbers as is only justification then turning around and not voting Jokic for MVP. Turned out he was just a Jazz writer trying to justify his bias. I feel like anyone being honest with themselves, can just look at him play and understand that Jokic is ****ing ridiculous. I don’t know if SGA grabs you the same way. I love his game but Jokic has that at a glance special quality. At least if you aren’t the type who only sees that in athletic feats.

Jokic and Luka have the edge on SGA there and it is a factor.

Really I just don’t know what they’re gonna do. Like 4 people could win it and not surprise me.
    Ron Boone? He was the only one not to vote for Chris Paul as ROTY because Deron out played him head to head!

SGA is averaging 31 ppg with a TS of 65%. If I remember right the only guy to average over 30 with a TS of 65% for a season is Steph, who's done it twice.

SGA is also leading the league in steals.