Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The MVP race is completely open now

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Feels like a good time to put something on Tatum. His odds must be outrageous.

I think Luka is now a strong dark horse relative to his betting odds as well.

If Dallas stays healthier post-allstar break than they were pre-allstar break they can definitely make a run up to the 3-4 seed. Not to mention they did get better at the deadline. Luka's gonna win the scoring title with Embiid out, while being 3rd in the league in assists. He kept them afloat while Irving and Kleber and occasionally Lively were out, and that's literally the core of their team. He was playing with Grant Williams, Seth Curry and Richaun Holmes and kept them in the playoff hunt in the West.

I was critical of his extreme ball dominance early in the season, but I think it's really what Kidd asked him to do. Kidd doesnt shy away from the fact in press conferences that Luka IS the game plan when theyre undermanned, and that's by Kidd's design.

I think when everyone is healthy and the group chemistry is there things balance out a little better. And he really is carrying a load no other player does. I think he's got a very valid argument for the award as of right now.

34.2 points / 9.5 assists / 8.8 rebs (32-23)

The West is stacked right now... gonna be hard for Luka & the Mavs to have a good enough record for MVP considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Mavs have won 6 in a row now.

They're just one spot behind Phoenix for 5th. If Luka beats Booker, Durant and Beal in the standings in the West, then isn't that enough?

If they keep going like this, Luka still has a chance, but they'll need to be on pace for something like 60+ wins for the rest of the season.

I think Luka should probably deserve the win this year, but Shai has a good case too. It's not as if he leads a team of veterans. It's mostly young players.
    Luka’s dominant scoring, against ANY type of defense and ANY type of defender, is 2nd to none in the league. Embiid and him were basically neck and neck, but with Embiid missing the cutoff, it’s Luka’s Scoring title easy.

His playmaking/passing, is only bested by Halliburton.

To be best or 2nd best in the entire league in BOTH scoring and passing/playmaking, in the same season, ordinarily would be difficult NOT to win MVP. But Luka’s defense is that bad lol. Been better as of late, and he has climbed up to around 10th in steals per game IIRC. But his on ball perimeter defense is bad. Real bad.

And their record is still not high enough to win it. General you gotta be the best player on a top 2 seed to get MVP. Not his fault, as Kyrie was out for almost half the season, and they had so many other injuries, but just stating facts.

I think this year is strange. As the other front runners besides Embiid all have significant negatives or slumps….I cannot enthusiastically vote for Jokic, Shai, Luka, or Kawhi. And Embiid won’t qualify. Tatum frankly isn’t good enough and has the personality of a sheet of paper. No MVP !!!! Lol