Default Should the NBA introduce unpaid non-suspension?

For offense deemed egregious enough like the Ja Morant gun situation. Instead of unpaid suspension for 25 games, they can make it 15 unpaid games. The player has to complete 15 games before they can be paid again. This means players don't have to miss games but still be punished harshly. Less games missed, less salary lost by the player. Win-win for the NBA, players and fans.

Default Re: Should the NBA introduce unpaid non-suspension?

I can appreciate the creativity and theoretical benefit of the idea, but probably wouldnt work legally. You cant have people working unpaid, there are actual laws against it. It’s why businesses no longer offer unpaid internships like they used to, unless youre receiving some kind of equivalent proxy for payment such as college credit.

Even if the union agreed, which Im not sure they would even tho players lose less money in concept, I think the league would see it as just too potentially messy.

Not to mention part of the point of suspension is to punish the team, as incentive for players to avoid suspendable conduct.

It could be a choice. Either X games unpaid suspension or 60% of X games unpaid non-suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    It could be a choice. Either X games unpaid suspension or 60% of X games unpaid non-suspension.
    Well again, I dont think it's legally feasible. You cant perform work for an employer without being paid. Even if you want to. There are laws against it. Maybe there is some condition in which the union could agree to wave it, but I doubt it.

Not to mention you KNOW the comparisons to slavery would be inevitable and endless if players were playing games unpaid. Even though they would be terrible comparisons, theres always people in the media jumping at the chance for some cheap, easy attention by throwing out buzzwords like racism and slavery, and theres always idiots in society willing to parrot them when they hear it. It'd be an awkward look for the league.

^lol no one credible will make that comparison when everyone is being paid millions.