Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Doc Rivers 1-4 start with Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Ok. So youre saying they should base decisions on short term results. If they win some games, keep the coach. If not, ditch him.

In other words, youre kinda like the average investor who judges a company on whether the stock is up or down lately. Which is exactly what most people do. That's the common approach.

If you listen to guys like Jeff Bezos and Warren Buffet, they'll tell you flat out, over and over again they dont hesitate to make a major shakeup even if the stock is up, or to sit tight and trust the process if the stock is down. They dont care what a stock did in the last six months. They understand what to look for and what matters long term, so they rely on their judgement for decision making, rather than the superficial indicators of short term results.

But I'm guessing you probably dont listen to them too often. And clearly you cant fathom why a basketball team would make a change even if the recent results appear outwardly sufficient.

Thats ok. We're just two different kinds of people when it comes to how we see things. It's all good.
    You're equating terrible analogies. Company strategy and stock price has absolutely ZERO to do with stock price.

For example, let's say that I created a 3rd party auto repair shop like Tire Kingdom called "Dodge Decoders." I somehow came up with some innovative partnership that allowed me exclusive rights to an apprenticeship program for all universities and technical schools in the USA. I also innovated the most thorough and successful training program that allowed new techs to have access to all the secret repair tricks and AI cameras that ensure techs didn't make any mistakes, that also made me 50% more efficient at repairing Dodge vehicles. This allowed me to have labor 75% less than all the competition and rake in absurd profits. My stock prices would fly through the roof. But since I've only been able to master Dodge repairs and have not diversified, it's a ticking time bomb regardless of the stock price. My exclusive contract will eventually end, and Dodge may go out of business, or my competition may develop their own AI.

Alternatively, the opposite stock trend of starting slow and rising fast, I could buy up all middle Florida land where nobody wants to live, lose money for the next 20 years developing the infrastructure of cellular towers, fiber, plumbing, etc. to these areas and then make billions as the sea level continues to rise and everyone runs inland because of the flooding coasts.

These are again just very elementary analogies to show your ideas are totally off base.

Aside from everything I've said, you literally started this post off saying "if they win some games keep the coach" that's literally the opposite of what they did. What are you even talking about?

My brain hurts. I'm gonna go.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    You're equating terrible analogies. Company strategy and stock price has absolutely ZERO to do with stock price.

For example, let's say that I created a 3rd party auto repair shop like Tire Kingdom called "Dodge Decoders." I somehow came up with some innovative partnership that allowed me exclusive rights to an apprenticeship program for all universities and technical schools in the USA. I also innovated the most thorough and successful training program that allowed new techs to have access to all the secret repair tricks and AI cameras that ensure techs didn't make any mistakes, that also made me 50% more efficient at repairing Dodge vehicles. This allowed me to have labor 75% less than all the competition and rake in absurd profits. My stock prices would fly through the roof. But since I've only been able to master Dodge repairs and have not diversified, it's a ticking time bomb regardless of the stock price. My exclusive contract will eventually end, and Dodge may go out of business, or my competition may develop their own AI.

Alternatively, the opposite stock trend of starting slow and rising fast, I could buy up all middle Florida land where nobody wants to live, lose money for the next 20 years developing the infrastructure of cellular towers, fiber, plumbing, etc. to these areas and then make billions as the sea level continues to rise and everyone runs inland because of the flooding coasts.

These are again just very elementary analogies to show your ideas are totally off base.

Aside from everything I've said, you literally started this post off saying "if they win some games keep the coach" that's literally the opposite of what they did. What are you even talking about?

My brain hurts. I'm gonna go.

I didnt read thru the rest of that gibberish but as far as the bolded, I was describing YOUR approach as "win some games, keep the coach." That's what makes sense to you. Without examining the underlying causal factors, just purely letting the results from 1/3 of a regular season inform your decision making.

That is the conventional approach, and youre right, it's the opposite of what Milwaukee did. You obviously think they took the wrong approach, while I feel their logic is sensible. We just disagree. I'm not sure how or where I lost you in terms of that being my point.

Anyway it's ok boss. Whatever makes sense to you. Feel how you feel.

Very good NBA starter

The issue is Lillar, not Doc.

Lillard is pretty damn clutch on offense, better than Luka at step backs, but he's also worse on defense than Luka, which is really saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    The issue is Lillar, not Doc.

Lillard is pretty damn clutch on offense, better than Luka at step backs, but he's also worse on defense than Luka, which is really saying something.

None of it matters right now anyway, they got him specifically to hit big shots in the playoffs. That's the thing they were lacking. Jrue's fg% had a habit of dipping in the playoffs, Grayson wasnt shooting in Milwaukee like he has been in Phoenix this year, Connaughton is fine but he's obviously not Dame. They wanted to add some offensive firepower at guard for the post season, and in theory that's what theyve done.

There's really no point in judging anything theyve done until the playoffs. If theyre successful then nobody will care about any of this stuff going on now.

Should have stuck with griffin, doc is a downgrade from any coach in the league

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    None of it matters right now anyway, they got him specifically to hit big shots in the playoffs. That's the thing they were lacking. Jrue's fg% had a habit of dipping in the playoffs, Grayson wasnt shooting in Milwaukee like he has been in Phoenix this year, Connaughton is fine but he's obviously not Dame. They wanted to add some offensive firepower at guard for the post season, and in theory that's what theyve done.

There's really no point in judging anything theyve done until the playoffs. If theyre successful then nobody will care about any of this stuff going on now.
    We'll see if it works out.

Maybe I see things differently that chemistry and culture still matter. That you need to build the culture that will get you through during the regular season.

What Bucks did is more the Miami Heat of 2011 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    We'll see if it works out.

Maybe I see things differently that chemistry and culture still matter. That you need to build the culture that will get you through during the regular season.

What Bucks did is more the Miami Heat of 2011 thing.

Im not saying there arent issues right now that could remain problems in the playoffs. I agree Dame has not seemed really “engaged” in the season so far. And if that doesnt change by the playoffs they could be in trouble.

But until the playoffs happen, you cant really prove whether the gamble worked out or not. Thats the time they got him for. So theres no sense dubbing the move a failure until we see how it goes when it counts.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Doc likely won't win a title there but in the few games he's coached Lillaird has either shot badly or not played 4 out of 5 nights. Rivers chose to accept this job so its not a case of him being set up but the two huge mistakes (firing Budenholzer and leaving Holiday loose for the Celtics) were made before he had anything to do with the team. Their organization deserves some criticism and I suspect they hired Doc because with all of the friends he has in the media they won't get looked at as harshly for their bad moves.
    the hammer will come down , and Dame will have to pass up 10 ppg for defense.... that or he goes to the scrap yard as a has been/