Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doc Rivers 1-4 start with Bucks

Opponents:

Jan 29 @ DEN, MIL (32-15) lost to DEN, 107-113
    Jan 31 @ POR, MIL (32-16) lost to POR, 116-119
    Feb 3 @ DAL, MIL (33-16) beat DAL, 129-117
    Feb 4 @ UTA, MIL (33-17) lost to UTA, 108-123
    Feb 6 @ PHO, MIL (33-18) lost to PHO, 106-114

Product of a road trip? Or what? This isn't being talked about enough. They said Griffin was unqualified to be a coach.

Wha happun?

Default Re: Doc Rivers 1-4 start with Bucks

Clippers started similarly after the Harden trade and eventually went on a tear. Whether Doc works out for them or not I have no idea, but I'm not surprised youre drawing conclusions on a five game sample size after he just got there. Seems like a you thing.

#FireDocRivers

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Clippers started similarly after the Harden trade and eventually went on a tear. Whether Doc works out for them or not I have no idea, but I'm not surprised youre drawing conclusions on a five game sample size after he just got there. Seems like a you thing.
    For a guy who was completely unqualified, and the team won 'despite' him, Griffin never went 1-4 over any span of the season. Prunty went 2-1.

Does that mean that Rivers is also unqualified? Just by this 5-game start, it automatically puts Rivers in jeopardy of having a worse regular season record than Griffin. He would need to win 81% of the remaining games (25 out of 31) just to match the winning percentage of Griffin (see: unlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    For a guy who was completely unqualified, and the team won 'despite' him, Griffin never went 1-4 over any span of the season.

Does that mean that Rivers is also unqualified? Just by this 5-game start, it automatically puts Rivers in jeopardy of having a worse regular season record than Griffin. He would need to win 81% of the remaining games (25 out of 31) just to match the winning percentage of Griffin (see: unlikely).
    I have no idea what point you are making.

The Houston Rockets once won 27 games in a row and lost in the first round of the playoffs. Every year theres a team like the Bobcats or Wizards that starts out 8-3 or 11-4 and people start talking about them being for real, and then they of course finish in the lottery.

Anomalies are a thing. They happen in basketball. Do you really think these Bucks are a .200 team with Doc because of this first 5 game sample size?

If so, youre beyond daft. If not, what the hell is your point?

This is why jinx threads happen so often. As soon as the pendulum moves in one direction people wanna immediately spout and gloat and preen as if it is the end result, with no patience or perspective about the fact it's eventually gonna come back toward a law of averages.

If you wanna do a victory lap because you think 5 regular season games validates some point you think youve made... well, go ahead I guess. Do whatever you want. I dont care.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Doc likely won't win a title there but in the few games he's coached Lillaird has either shot badly or not played 4 out of 5 nights. Rivers chose to accept this job so its not a case of him being set up but the two huge mistakes (firing Budenholzer and leaving Holiday loose for the Celtics) were made before he had anything to do with the team. Their organization deserves some criticism and I suspect they hired Doc because with all of the friends he has in the media they won't get looked at as harshly for their bad moves.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I have no idea what point you are making.

The Houston Rockets once won 27 games in a row and lost in the first round of the playoffs. Every year theres a team like the Bobcats or Wizards that starts out 8-3 or 11-4 and people start talking about them being for real, and then they of course finish in the lottery.

Anomalies are a thing. They happen in basketball. Do you really think these Bucks are a .200 team with Doc because of this first 5 game sample size?

If so, youre beyond daft. If not, what the hell is your point?

This is why jinx threads happen so often. As soon as the pendulum moves in one direction people wanna immediately spout and gloat and preen as if it is the end result, with no patience or perspective about the fact it's eventually gonna come back toward a law of averages.

If you wanna do a victory lap because you think 5 regular season games validates some point you think youve made... well, go ahead I guess. Do whatever you want. I dont care.
    My point is quite elementary and somehow beyond your comprehension.

It's that coaches aren't perfect. The patience you grant someone is completely dependent on how much you like them and/or are invested in them. They just weren't invested in Griffin because Giannis was no longer invested in him.

Because Griffin didn't have them humming doesn't mean he isn't qualified to be a coach, just as losing 4 out of 5 (amid some brutal losses EX: giving up 40 in the 4th to Utah while scoring 13) doesn't suddenly make Rivers unqualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Doc likely won't win a title there but in the few games he's coached Lillaird has either shot badly or not played 4 out of 5 nights. Rivers chose to accept this job so its not a case of him being set up but the two huge mistakes (firing Budenholzer and leaving Holiday loose for the Celtics) were made before he had anything to do with the team. Their organization deserves some criticism and I suspect they hired Doc because with all of the friends he has in the media they won't get looked at as harshly for their bad moves.
    Lillard missed one game in this stretch just as an FYI, Brook 1 also.

For a guy who was completely unqualified, and the team won 'despite' him, Griffin never went 1-4 over any span of the season. Prunty went 2-1.

As a rookie coach Griffin should not have been put in charge of a team trying to win a championship. They then made themselves look even worse by firing him well-before he had been given what most people would think of as a fair chance. Of course we hear about stuff that was Goin ng on to justify the firing and it may all be true but if you fire a guy in second place after 40 games you're going to get so me egg on your face.

Lillard missed one game in this stretch just as an FYI, Brook 1 also.
    And when the sample is five games that's a significant amount of missed games.

It's that coaches aren't perfect. The patience you grant someone is completely dependent on how much you like them and/or are invested in them. They just weren't invested in Griffin because Giannis was no longer invested in him.

Because Griffin didn't have them humming doesn't mean he isn't qualified to be a coach, just as losing 4 out of 5 (amid some brutal losses EX: giving up 40 in the 4th to Utah while scoring 13) doesn't suddenly make Rivers unqualified.
    This is all true but I don't think Griffin was fired over the team record. He hear about the incident that lead to Scott's sitting, that he lost the locker room and the drop off in defense. I mainly blame that last thing on replacing Holiday with Lillaird but the front office isn't going to blame itself when it screws up.

I rule the local playground

And when the sample is five games that's a significant amount of missed games.
    When the sample itself is insignificant, any part of it is also insignificant.

As a rookie coach Griffin should not have been put in charge of a team trying to win a championship. They then made themselves look even worse by firing him well-before he had been given what most people would think of as a fair chance. Of course we hear about stuff that was Goin ng on to justify the firing and it may all be true but if you fire a guy in second place after 40 games you're going to get so me egg on your face.
    I agree. I don't think he was a great coach, but I think he was qualified. His first hire should have been a team with lower expectations and pressure to perform immediately.

I do think the GM+POBO are doing any and everything to save themself and shirk the blame. But I look at some moves like 5 2nd rounders for Crowder and it reeks of desperation.

Ok. So youre saying they should base decisions on short term results. If they win some games, keep the coach. If not, ditch him.

In other words, youre kinda like the average investor who judges a company on whether the stock is up or down lately. Which is exactly what most people do. That's the common approach.

If you listen to guys like Jeff Bezos and Warren Buffet, they'll tell you flat out, over and over again they dont hesitate to make a major shakeup even if the stock is up, or to sit tight and trust the process if the stock is down. They dont care what a stock did in the last six months. They understand what to look for and what matters long term, so they rely on their judgement for decision making, rather than the superficial indicators of short term results.

But I'm guessing you probably dont listen to them too often. And clearly you cant fathom why a basketball team would make a change even if the recent results appear outwardly sufficient.

Thats ok. We're just two different kinds of people when it comes to how we see things. It's all good.

Doc is a bad coach altogether.

His claim to fame was due to three vets forming a superteam and even then he arguably underachieved.