Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Luka vs peak Lebron (Offense only)

Both great scorers. Both great playmakers. Who's actually better at offense?

Default Re: Luka vs peak Lebron (Offense only)

Peak Miami LeBron because he had a complete game more or less.

- His shooting was great (76% FT, 37% 3PT, 42-43% mid-range)
    - His spot-up shooting was good enough to rank 2nd in the league in PPP (2012-13)
    - His post-up game was good enough to lead the league in PPP (2013-14)
    - He had better shot selection
    - He played off the ball more than at any point in his career
    - He played the PF position and developed some of his big man potential (screening, rolling, rebounding, posting up, etc)

Although Doncic is craftier and more skilled, I'll need to see him develop a more well-rounded offensive game. That means developing an off-ball arsenal primarily.

If I had to pick one single season as LeBron's best offensively, it'd be his last in Miami: 2013-14. Scoring was the most effortless it had ever been for him. And it translated into the playoffs. Not surprisingly, this is when Bosh started really getting used to hitting threes.

Miami was doing the positionless, five-out lineup a few years before GSW. People seem to forget that.

Very good NBA starter

Quite easily Luka in the half court, but Lebron at his best was an all time great in the open floor, which gave him a lot of easy points. Luka doesn't run at all.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

What was LeBron's peak offensively? 2013 & 2014 when he developed a better jumper and a post game or 2018 when he was dropping 40 points every game in the playoffs?

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Both great scorers. Both great playmakers. Who's actually better at offense?
    boring answer but it has to be the known quantity... lebron.

Luka is based on a projection he will end up there.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Quite easily Luka in the half court, but Lebron at his best was an all time great in the open floor, which gave him a lot of easy points. Luka doesn't run at all.
    That's a good point. Transition + better off-ball game gives peak LeBron the win here.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Peak Miami LeBron because he had a complete game more or less.

- His shooting was great (76% FT, 37% 3PT, 42-43% mid-range)
    - His spot-up shooting was good enough to rank 2nd in the league in PPP (2012-13)
    - His post-up game was good enough to lead the league in PPP (2013-14)
    - He had better shot selection
    - He played off the ball more than at any point in his career
    - He played the PF position and developed some of his big man potential (screening, rolling, rebounding, posting up, etc)

Although Doncic is craftier and more skilled, I'll need to see him develop a more well-rounded offensive game. That means developing an off-ball arsenal primarily.
    This.

Lebron can create plays but also finishes plays others create at an elite level. Luka can really only create plays or finish his own plays. He's not a threat cutting to the rim.

Doncic has "more bag" when it comes to making moves but Lebron is just a greater offensive threat overall.

I think people need to get over this idea Luka is ever gonna be an off ball player. He's too bulky, he's not gonna run around and shake people off back screens to get open threes, and he's not gonna finish above the rim on lobs and such. He's a penguin not an eagle. He's purely a point guard and his value is in making plays for others or creating for himself. Not playing off ball. He's never going to do that and he would not be an asset doing that.

He is able to shine in big moments, so with the right players around him he can absolutely win a championship. But people need to understand the physics of why certain players have certain games. You cant just choose to do things youre not physically adapted for.

Numbers being so inflated these days is what leads to this comparison.

The answer is Lebron and I don't want to say easily but I wouldn't hesitate. Luka is more crafty but Lebron's rim pressure just overrides anything Luka can do in terms of raw impact. Being unstoppable going to the rim just creates so many open shots for teammates.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I think people need to get over this idea Luka is ever gonna be an off ball player. He's too bulky, he's not gonna run around and shake people off back screens to get open threes, and he's not gonna finish above the rim on lobs and such. He's a penguin not an eagle. He's purely a point guard and his value is in making plays for others or creating for himself. Not playing off ball. He's never going to do that and he would not be an asset doing that.

He is able to shine in big moments, so with the right players around him he can absolutely win a championship. But people need to understand the physics of why certain players have certain games. You cant just choose to do things youre not physically adapted for.
    When I say off ball, I only mean that he shouldn't walk the ball up every possession. That's a complete waste of energy.

I'd also want him to create out of the post more, which is where his actual league beating skill is. There are many good PnR guards, there are none who can match him in the post. He was leading the league in points pr postup last year.

He should study Charles Barkley or Dirk. Just run to the baseline. Get the ball, two dribbles, fade or pass out of double.

He doesn't want to do that for the same reason as Lebron, it hurts more, harder fouls.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Thi The kind of comparison, the current brand of basketball makes impossible to me. Two things are clear. Luka is more traditionally polished and has a better touch and deeper “bag” than LeBron. He’s also about 40% as athletic. Both our paths to being unstoppable. If you put LeBron from 15 years ago out here, with the even faster pace, and even less traffic in the paint? You just give him the ball and tell him the score? I’m not sure he couldn’t score 38 points a game.

On the other hand, LeBron actually lasted all the way through to this era and doesn’t do that. He has maintained more of his athletic ability than people usually do but now it’s just good instead of overwhelming.

I don’t know how to decide this without being unfair to one of them.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Luka is craftier and has more skills and more balls taking big shots... but it's almost like comparing a bobcat to a Siberian Tiger athletically.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Thi The kind of comparison, the current brand of basketball makes impossible to me. Two things are clear. Luka is more traditionally polished and has a better touch and deeper “bag” than LeBron. He’s also about 40% as athletic. Both our paths to being unstoppable. If you put LeBron from 15 years ago out here, with the even faster pace, and even less traffic in the paint? You just give him the ball and tell him the score? I’m not sure he couldn’t score 38 points a game.

On the other hand, LeBron actually lasted all the way through to this era and doesn’t do that. He has maintained more of his athletic ability than people usually do but now it’s just good instead of overwhelming.

I don’t know how to decide this without being unfair to one of them.
    If LeBron was scoring 38 PPG at his current age he’d be the unquestioned GOAT. I don’t think he could do 38 just because no one really plays enough minutes to score that much anymore (most guys are capped at 36-37 and even now it’s hard to score more than a point a minute). I’m pretty confident in saying he’d do 34-35 though considering he was scoring almost 30 PPG recently despite being clearly worse to anyone’s eye test.

How quickly they forget...Peak LeBron would be dominating the league.

Next.