Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: If he works on this for the next five years…..

No. let him take that shot every time instead of dunking. if he starts hitting it at a high clip consistently then it becomes a bit of a problem.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    Why are you ignoring the ways you could score before that are banned now? Kicking your leg out to draw the foul, sweep thru, putting your man in jail when you blow by him then coming to a stop and letting him run into you to get a blocking foul, etc.
    Most of these were relatively modern offensive gimmicks. These were not things that players were actively hunting for 30, 40, 50 and 60 years ago and in most cases even as recently as 20 years ago.

If you're in any way shape or form trying to insinuate, imply, or directly state that defenses haven't been stifled by rule changes in favor of free flowing offense, there's not much to discuss here. That and the "natural evolution" of the whistle becoming looser and looser with carrying and traveling.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    No. let him take that shot every time instead of dunking. if he starts hitting it at a high clip consistently then it becomes a bit of a problem.
    that’s the assumption I was making with the five years of practice. Though, I’m not sure how high a clip it would even have to go in to be a problem. A lot of shots we think of as automatic actually went in about half the time. But being able to make a shot nobody can defend half the time is a pretty crazy weapon. I don’t think Jordan shot 50% on fadeaways, but it was still a pretty devastating option. I’m pretty sure Kareem was at or under 50% on sky hooks too. Thats how you end up at like 55% when you don’t miss dunks and easy layups.

But being able to rely on a 50/50 shot when you need it adds up quite a bit more than the 30 something percent a midrange fade probably is for most.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    that’s the assumption I was making with the five years of practice. Though, I’m not sure how high a clip it would even have to go in to be a problem. A lot of shots we think of as automatic actually went in about half the time. But being able to make a shot nobody can defend half the time is a pretty crazy weapon. I don’t think Jordan shot 50% on fadeaways, but it was still a pretty devastating option. I’m pretty sure Kareem was at or under 50% on sky hooks too. Thats how you end up at like 55% when you don’t miss dunks and easy layups.

But being able to rely on a 50/50 shot when you need it adds up quite a bit more than the 30 something percent a midrange fade probably is for most.
    yeah, that’s the scary thing. by high clip I meant anything around 50% range. And from the skills and coordination he’s shown so far it doesn’t seem like a far reach for him to start doing that.

You ever see Kristaps Porziņģis get the ball at like 14 feet and after he stands there for three or four seconds it’s like a lightbulb goes off and he realizes there is nothing anybody can do about him just turning and shooting? And you wonder why he doesn’t just do it all the time?

Wemby hopefully gets good enough to have that forever green light and then I don’t know what you do.

And truth be told I’m not sure KP isn’t good enough at it. He just doesn’t. Has a 9 inch mismatch and no double comes. Feels like he makes it 80% of the time he shoots it but he just….wont.

Maybe the mathletes in Dallas beat it outta him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Lauri is best catch and shoot player in the league. He can shoot and no one can block his shot

Actually 70's Fan and forget who else on RealGM tracked dozens of Kareem games and he shot around 55% on sky hooks.

You ever see Kristaps Porziņģis get the ball at like 14 feet and after he stands there for three or four seconds it’s like a lightbulb goes off and he realizes there is nothing anybody can do about him just turning and shooting? And you wonder why he doesn’t just do it all the time?

Wemby hopefully gets good enough to have that forever green light and then I don’t know what you do.

And truth be told I’m not sure KP isn’t good enough at it. He just doesn’t. Has a 9 inch mismatch and no double comes. Feels like he makes it 80% of the time he shoots it but he just….wont.

Maybe the mathletes in Dallas beat it outta him.
    He does do it a lot this season and it's automatic if he isn't doubled. Why he doesn't do it more is something I wonder too. But he didn't have that early in his career. He needed to improve his base and core strength to not let it affect his jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Actually 70's Fan and forget who else on RealGM tracked dozens of Kareem games and he shot around 55% on sky hooks.
    if I remember correctly, he did it all from games that had the footage available. You have just one or two of his 12 of 30 something games he will occasionally have versus a Nate or a wilt, and that number would drop. Not that I take issue with it being about 55%. but I think he shot something like that in his career while also getting a lot of dunks. Though of course he took a lot of other shots as well. They just never have them in highlights. Maybe he missed a great deal of those.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    He does do it a lot this season and it's automatic if he isn't doubled. Why he doesn't do it more is something I wonder too. But he didn't have that early in his career. He needed to improve his base and core strength to not let it affect his jumper.
    I’ve noticed he seems stronger. It really only bugs me when it’s a guard. He catches the ball and stands there for three seconds and I’m like “Dude. The crown of his head is in your kidney! Shoot over that ho! You being guarded by a hobbit. Nobody will begrudge you taking that shot even if you miss. Don’t hesitate.”