Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you agree with ISH's 2007/2008 player rankings?

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    There were quite a lot of posters here back then, at around 60 people made a list. Conversation was civil and basketball related. Trolling was rare. That's my main takeaway.

It is a myth that Kobe was NOT thought of as the best player at the time. Duncan and Garnett WAS a serious debate for many years. Interesting to see how perception changes with winning. Also, people didn't ruin the vote. If you had a similar process today many people would ruin it by having LeBron at #15 or leaving Kobe out of the top 20. And not just on ISH would people do that but society does that in general. Lots of polarization has happened since then regardless of the subject.
    Basically, basketball discourse has gone to complete shit in the last 15 years or so.

NBA Superstar

There were quite a lot of posters here back then, at around 60 people made a list. Conversation was civil and basketball related. Trolling was rare. That's my main takeaway.

It is a myth that Kobe was NOT thought of as the best player at the time. Duncan and Garnett WAS a serious debate for many years. Interesting to see how perception changes with winning. Also, people didn't ruin the vote. If you had a similar process today many people would ruin it by having LeBron at #15 or leaving Kobe out of the top 20. And not just on ISH would people do that but society does that in general. Lots of polarization has happened since then regardless of the subject.
    I remember that as well. People like to say Lebron or CP3 or Duncan but from 06-08 there was a fairly universal acceptance that Kobe was the guy. Lebron became a serious argument in 09..and since then the discourse has gotten weird from both sides.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Basically, basketball discourse has gone to complete shit in the last 15 years or so.
    It is the case with a discourse of any kind. I was watching some presidential campaign debates from the 60s the other day. Black and white. It was amazing to see there was actual conversation. It was still okay in the 90s and less so but bearable until like 2010. Social media really changed how we interact.

I was watching the fist couple of seasons of Survivor. It's amazing to see what we as people valued back in 2000. It is not nostalgia the world was quite a bit different. Was it better? I think it's getting down to what you are getting used to and in what environment you were growing up. The difference however is real.

It is the case with a discourse of any kind. I was watching some presidential campaign debates from the 60s the other day. Black and white. It was amazing to see there was actual conversation. It was still okay in the 90s and less so but bearable until like 2010. Social media really changed how we interact.

I was watching the fist couple of seasons of Survivor. It's amazing to see what we as people valued back in 2000. It is not nostalgia the world was quite a bit different. Was it better? I think it's getting down to what you are getting used to and in what environment you were growing up. The difference however is real.
    Agreed on all accounts. Social media has done a number on society.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Agreed on all accounts. Social media has done a number on society.
    Imagine something like this being broadcast today on national television.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Duncan should be 1st.

Lebron should not be top 5.

Wade should be top 10.

Ginobili should be above Melo and T-Mac.
    ^First reply absolutely nailed it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    ^First reply absolutely nailed it.
    It was actually an atrocious post.

Kobe was at the peak of his powers in '08, won his first MVP, and had his best defensive season that year since like 2002. He for sure deserves #1 for 2008.

I can see why people left Wade off the top 10, after winning a title in '06, he dealt with lots of injuries the following two seasons. He only played like 50 games in 2008 and when he did play, he had his worst season since his rookie year.

No way Gilbert didn’t make that list back then. He averaged like 29 around that time period. I vividly remember getting in arguments about him being the best PG in the entire league while playing nba live 08 with one of my boys
    Last edited by Im so nba'd out; 02-05-2024 at 10:40 PM.

Fultznation hyping up LeBron's teammates? Are my eyes deceiving me?

Quote Originally Posted by starface View Post
    too many people sleep on zydrunas ilgauskus

dude is 7'3, has a sweet midrange jumper, and is arguably the best offensive rebounder in the game. dude manages to impress despite having the worst offensive coach/system in the league. imagine if his coach knew how to use him.

ur tellin me you'd take a swingman like caron butler or joe johnson over that?

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post

Uh-oh. Caught out!

Damn, didn't know that chrissy has been here for more than 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by East River Livn' View Post
    Chauncey, B Diddy, Caron Butler and Iggy over 2008 Deron Williams? LMAO c'mon now
    Uh yes? If people wanna argue B Diddy, Butler and Iggy fine. They're not that far apart. Chauncey however, was A LOT better than Deron.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    Uh yes? If people wanna argue B Diddy, Butler and Iggy fine. They're not that far apart. Chauncey however, was A LOT better than Deron.
    I found this cool thread.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...st-point-guard

That's 2009 right? I'd agree Deron was better in 2009 but that's just because Chauncey fell off hard after 2008 season.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine View Post
    That's 2009 right? I'd agree Deron was better in 2009 but that's just because Chauncey fell off hard after 2008 season.
    Huh? Chauncey was an All-star in '09 and probably had his best postseason that year too.