Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Did MJ face more long shooting guards back then compared to today (gifs inside)

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    You named Dale Ellis like he's some kind of defensive force lmao. And anyone you're going to name who is tall is going to be built like a toothpick so most definitely not big. The big guys were in the paint. Not on the outside.
    Thunder Dan doesn't look like a toothpick at all. He looks like a borderline body builder. Longer jay cutler.

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Did MJ face more long shooting guards back then compared to today (gifs inside)

I like you 3ball but this aspect his where Kobe was more impressive. Without a shadow of doubt.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Bounce off him because those other guys weighed even less than him.

Speaking of guys being allowed to touch or impede. Look at this physical defense by Ehlo. This is what happens when the big is out of position in any era. Hand check doesn't do jack squat. Although, Ehlo being the defensive savant that he was didn't even employ it. Instead he let a man blow by him at the 12 foot mark. Hey btw wasn't that MJ's primary defender in a playoff series?
    Dale Ellis was a bad dude

And can you please stop with this hand checking doesn’t effect anything shit? I know you saw gilbert arenas spout it when he was on a manic episode hunting for clicks….but it’s an all around embarrassing take

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post

And can you please stop with this hand checking doesn’t effect anything shit? I know you saw gilbert arenas spout it when he was on a manic episode hunting for clicks….but it’s an all around embarrassing take
    never thought much of Ellis myself

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    never thought much of Ellis myself
    I wouldn’t call Ellis a toothpick. Dude was very well built for an athletic 2/3

As a defender? **** no.

Worthless if the guard has quickness, size and handles. If you're good enough you don't need all 3:

Here's a 21 year old, rookie AI at 5-11 165:

Not a hand on him because there's no time to do it when a guy can cover this kind of space and get you off balance. You could see the turn of the tide with Penny and Grant Hill. David Stern was like "I found the formula" and tweaked the league to encourage this brand of ball but it was coming in regardless.

I wouldn’t call Ellis a toothpick. Dude was very well built for an athletic 2/3
    still didn't think much of him

As a defender? **** no.

Worthless if the guard has quickness, size and handles. If you're good enough you don't need all 3:

Not a hand on him because there's no time to do it when a guy can cover this kind of space and get you off balance. You could see the turn of the tide with Penny and Grant Hill. David Stern was like "I found the formula" and tweaked the league to encourage this brand of ball but it was coming in regardless.
    why would you put a hand on him when he shot under 40%? please throw up another prayer against a triple team AI!

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LAL View Post
    I like you 3ball but this aspect his where Kobe was more impressive. Without a shadow of doubt.

I listed a bunch of 6'7" shooting guards from MJ's era, while today's era has none and Kobe's era had similar to MJ's era except Kobe was often guarded by SF's because his quickness advantage wasn't as severe as MJ's, or his jumpshot elevation

As a defender? **** no.

this is so cringe man. like i don’t even know what to say. have you ever played basketball a day in your life?

this is so cringe man. like i don’t even know what to say. have you ever played basketball a day in your life?
    I was actually pretty nice but I can understand you disagreeing with my take. It's a bit controversial. But I think that's only because people conflate it with other things. The ball handling rules have opened things up more than dropping the hand check has. But people just look at 2 things and see one had hand check and one didn't and make their mind up.

And no Arenas isn't the only one saying this. Grant Hill has said the same thing and he's another example of a guy this applies to. Guys his size were taught to not face up. It wasn't until he faced up that he realized with his speed, handles and size he could blow by dudes. It was a stylistic shift that was coming regardless. The rules then came in to encourage this more commercially appealing brand of ball.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by 3ba11 View Post
    I listed a bunch of 6'7" shooting guards from MJ's era, while today's era has none and Kobe's era had similar to MJ's era except Kobe was often guarded by SF's because his quickness advantage wasn't as severe as MJ's, or his jumpshot elevation
    That's a lie. It was because he was eating the shorter guys for breakfast with ease 1on1 every single time (it's on tape if you don't believe me).

Same way Mike did 90% of the time because the sg position was weak and rules, besides guys like sprewel, lewis, smith, mason etc.. where he looked good instead of great.