Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Fired Kidd. Fire Nico. Fire Cuban

Mavs are a dumpster fire.

They went from WCF with a great core in Brunson, Luka, DFS, KP to now Grant Williams, THJ, Derrick Jones Junior.

What an absolute fiasco.

The man responsible is of course Marc Cuban who chooses his buddy buddies like Nico instead of competent people.

They all have to go.

Default Re: Fired Kidd. Fire Nico. Fire Cuban

Their front office and both coaches (Carlisle and Kidd) misused Brunson. Instead of forcing Luka off ball, they doubled down on Harden-ball which has never worked. They also put their trust in Kyrie to not miss a ton of games which is a ludicrous idea.

Grant Williams is a solid pickup though. DFS + Grant would be much better than DFS + Kleber.

THJ and Kleber both need to go. Make too much for how much they contribute.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    Their front office and both coaches (Carlisle and Kidd) misused Brunson. Instead of forcing Luka off ball, they doubled down on Harden-ball which has never worked. They also put their trust in Kyrie to not miss a ton of games which is a ludicrous idea.

Grant Williams is a solid pickup though. DFS + Grant would be much better than DFS + Kleber.

THJ and Kleber both need to go. Make too much for how much they contribute.
    Bad takes my bro.

Kleber is the last culture guy left on the team. His presence and guts to make some moves made a huge difference yesterday.

Mavs should never have traded DFS, he was the heart of the team, holding Luka at least somewhat accountable on defense. Bullock the same.

Grant is a decent player, but completely misused as a spot up shooter, when he should be mismatch hunting in the half court.

The truth is that this team has zero chemistry. None of the guys seem to care about each other and they're not buying into the concept of Luka ball. They're being professionals, but they're not hustling, they're not fighting, because ultimately, they don't want to when Luka is as selfish as he is.

The old team had Boban, DFS, Kleber, all of whom were good friends with Luka. They had a clique of players.

I honestly think, and I think I'm right, you need more euros around Luka. Most these american players don't actually want to play with him and his style and personality rubs them wrong.

Nico, the new GM, has been an absolute disaster, began by not signing Brunson, then let go of Boban and DFS and not understanding what I just mentioned.

If Mavs want to salvage this season, they need to trade for DFS and Boban, then fire Kidd and get a euro coach in there or someone like Nick Nurse.

I couldn't **** up worse than Nico has done.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    Bad takes my bro.

Kleber is the last culture guy left on the team. His presence and guts to make some moves made a huge difference yesterday.

Mavs should never have traded DFS, he was the heart of the team, holding Luka at least somewhat accountable on defense. Bullock the same.

Grant is a decent player, but completely misused as a spot up shooter, when he should be mismatch hunting in the half court.

The truth is that this team has zero chemistry. None of the guys seem to care about each other and they're not buying into the concept of Luka ball. They're being professionals, but they're not hustling, they're not fighting, because ultimately, they don't want to when Luka is as selfish as he is.

The old team had Boban, DFS, Kleber, all of whom were good friends with Luka. They had a clique of players.

I honestly think, and I think I'm right, you need more euros around Luka. Most these american players don't actually want to play with him and his style and personality rubs them wrong.

Nico, the new GM, has been an absolute disaster, began by not signing Brunson, then let go of Boban and DFS and not understanding what I just mentioned.

If Mavs want to salvage this season, they need to trade for DFS and Boban, then fire Kidd and get a euro coach in there or someone like Nick Nurse.

I couldn't **** up worse than Nico has done.
    Kleber is OK I guess but is already on the decline and is going to turn into a rotten mush contract by the end of this season. That's the lens that I judged him by in my first post. The final 2 years of his deal he will be totally overpaid. But now that you mention it, crazy that a 32 yr old 7 year vet is the elder statesman of the team promoting a culture. That's a problem by itself. The team doesn't seem to have a floor vocal leader. Grant Williams might be their most passionate player which is crazy.

DFS has been playing like trash since late December. I wouldn't look to him to save the day if Dallas reacquires him. Luka ball is a losing strategy unless you have multiple all defensive team caliber players and full health between the only 2 scorers on the team.

Right now Dallas doesn't even have 1 single defensively team caliber player.

They should have continued to build on that 2022 team.

Luka needs to evolve. He's gotten better at the things he's already good at but that playstyle produces 35/9/9 statlines, not chips. If he ever gets to the mountaintop I'm willing to bet at least 5 points and a few rebounds/assists will be shaved off that statline. Right now he's Harden but with an in-between game and better size that holds up in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Luka needs to evolve. He's gotten better at the things he's already good at but that playstyle produces 35/9/9 statlines, not chips. If he ever gets to the mountaintop I'm willing to bet at least 5 points and a few rebounds/assists will be shaved off that statline. Right now he's Harden but with an in-between game and better size that holds up in the playoffs.
    Doncic has his flaws, but piling it on him every time they lose a game is myopic and simplistic.

There is NOBODY around him. Their starting center is a rookie and their backup is Richaun Holmes, both were out last night. Guys named Derrick Jones Jr and Jaden Hardy are STARTING in this lineup frequently. Tim Hardaway Jr is an okay player having an okay season, but he's an average starter at best. Throw in Grant Williams who's a nice role player, and that's their regular lineup. Irving has missed most of the season. Kleber has missed most of the season. He's playing with the most generic lineups imaginable.

And they still have a winning record.

It's fine to point out his flaws but until they underachieve with a legitimate roster, which has not happened yet, theres no room to say he cant get it done. He gave the superteam Clippers all they could handle two straight years as a 20/21 year old and then took the Mavs to the conference finals as a 22 year old. He isnt the one who didnt give Brunson a contract. He didnt trade Widdie and Finny for Kyrie "25 games a season" Irving. He didnt tear Kleber's hamstring last year or break his toe this year.

Doncic has flaws but there is no evidence yet that his flaws have ever held them back. Theyve never done less than what they were supposed to do with the cast he has. So until that changes, people should chill.

Very good NBA starter

Mavs do have an atrocious team, give him what Giannis or Tatum or Embiid has and it looks very different.

The problem is that a lot of players just don't want to play with a ball dominant euro like Luka. I doubt many players wanted to play with Harden either.

Luka doesn't seem to care, as long as he can dominate the ball and put up insane statlines.

The real issue is that Cuban and Nico don't understand this. They don't understand that black stars or even very good role players will never want to be Luka's corner shooters, yet Nico and Cuban keep chasing them. Next up is supposedly Kyle Kuzma.

It's absolutely idiotic and why they traded away Boban, DFS, Brunson, KP etc. They seem to believe that they can get these high level role players, but they can't.

They need to go get more Klebers, not Kuzmas. Go get DFS back, get Dinwiddie back. These guys proved they could play with Luka.

Go get Daniel Theis, Kevin Love, Alex Caruso etc. Players with low ego and no racial pride bs.

I rule the local playground

I think you're partially right.

The Mavs did look better with players that seemed to enjoy each other off the court. I don't see that with this roster.

Luka is playing D this year, probably the best yet of his career and is making hustle plays. The problem lies within how they handled KP/Brunson. Porzingus should have been the perfect fit and they never realized what they had with JB and now with squandering their talent their stuck in purgatory. Not good enough to compete and not bad enough to have a solid draft pick.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

Yeah.

Nico is a fool. Cuban is a fool.

They need to get DFS and Boban back asap and they can, probably for cheap.

Grant Williams, Lively and Kyrie are good players, keep them, but make them fit within the old hieararchy.

I'd go:

Luka / Exum
    Kyrie / ?
    DFS / Grant
    Kleber / Powell
    Liverly / ? / Boban

Trade THJ, Hardy, Seth, Holmes and Green for a backup center and a backup defensive minded guard.

That starting lineup with DFS, Kleber and Lively actually has some defense.

Yeah.

Nico is a fool. Cuban is a fool.

They need to get DFS and Boban back asap and they can, probably for cheap.

Grant Williams, Lively and Kyrie are good players, keep them, but make them fit within the old hieararchy.

I'd go:

Luka / Exum
    Kyrie / ?
    DFS / Grant
    Kleber / Powell
    Liverly / ? / Boban

Trade THJ, Hardy, Seth, Holmes and Green for a backup center and a backup defensive minded guard.

That starting lineup with DFS, Kleber and Lively actually has some defense.
    Still, "some defense" with Kyrie and Luka taking plays off or crying to the ref is not enough defense. Years ago when there was interest in Gobert, I actually think he would have made the most sense there. But I'm understanding that the asking price given what the Jazz got was too steep.

Very good NBA starter

Still, "some defense" with Kyrie and Luka taking plays off or crying to the ref is not enough defense. Years ago when there was interest in Gobert, I actually think he would have made the most sense there. But I'm understanding that the asking price given what the Jazz got was too steep.
    Oh yeah, Gobert was always top of my list.

Mavs probably didn't have the assets to get it done, but I doubt Nico and Cuban would be interested anyway, but yeah, Gobert makes perfect sense for Luka.

DFS would probably make Luka work harder on defense though, particularly if they got a new coach, someone like Igor Kokoskov who was assistant for Carlisle and who has coached Slovenia national team.

Overall, I just think Cuban and Nico are very incompetent. Their approach is all wrong. They both still seem to think Mavs can be a free agent destination. Honestly, this is Cuban. He is prideful.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

too steep to have the best record in the conference?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    too steep to have the best record in the conference?
    I don't think the Mavs had enough simply put. Not enough picks. If they did, then they're fools for not buying, but I don't think they had enough first rounders.

Very good NBA starter

Newest rumor pr. Marc Stein is that Mavs are targeting ... Bobby Portis.

See what I'm saying?

If Mavs get Portis, that's it, not watching a single game more. I'll wait until Luka leaves for a team that isn't run by a cuck.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Newest rumor pr. Marc Stein is that Mavs are targeting ... Bobby Portis.

See what I'm saying?

If Mavs get Portis, that's it, not watching a single game more. I'll wait until Luka leaves for a team that isn't run by a cuck.
    what's wrong with Portis?