Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thibodeau: NBA probably trend toward allowing more defense, gone too far other way

Tom Thibodeau: “The game’s in a great place..(NBA will) probably be trending towards allowing more defensively (in future)..it’s gone probably too far the other way..Just like in the 90s, it went too far with the physicality. It wasn’t good for the game.”
    https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status...82971045556616

Default Re: Thibodeau: NBA probably trend toward allowing more defense, gone too far other wa

NBA rules never made any sense. Guys can't even agree on what's a foul.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Thibodeau: NBA probably trend toward allowing more defense, gone too far other wa

There's a lot I'd like to see changed, but probably I'd settle for:

Penalize moving screens - it's absurd what constitutes a screen today. It's not even screens, it's just players moving into the path of the defender. A screen in normal basketball has to be set for some time. You can't just move next to a player and then instantly move. That's not a screen. These "screens" allow waaay too much separation and makes PnR all dominant.

Allow incidental contact - it's not always what you call, but what you don't call. Simply allow a baseline of contact on drives. You don't have to call something just because there was contact. This is a major difference vs FIBA ball and previous NBA.

Cancel Defensive 3 seconds
    - this is the big one. The defensive 3 seconds has almost made the NBA a different sport. Basketball, for almost all its history, and still in FIBA, has a big guy in the paint. That's where a lot of the excitement of the game comes from. Someone like Ant, Vince, Kobe, MJ, AI going to the hoop and trying to beat the mountain. This excitement just isn't there anymore. Dunks are meaningless. Acrobatic finishes are meaningless.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

call foul on the offensive player when he throws himself into the defensive player who is in perfect defensive position

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    call foul on the offensive player when he throws himself into the defensive player who is in perfect defensive position
    Id settle for just calling nothing even when the defensive position is arguable. Im all for the no call. Let everyone play unless the foul is clear. No 50/50 shit.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Id settle for just calling nothing even when the defensive position is arguable. Im all for the no call. Let everyone play unless the foul is clear. No 50/50 shit.
    How about simply call a foul on the player who initiates contact. Or a no call, depending on whether it’s incidental contact.

Also, in most situations, if a player goes to the ground and there is nothing called, it’s a flop.

And just get rid of the illegal defense rules. However a team wants to occupy the floor on D is OK.

Allow hand-checking in the backcourt to encourage full-court pressure and scores off turnovers. Make it hard for teams to bring the ball up the court.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post

Penalize moving screens - it's absurd what constitutes a screen today. It's not even screens, it's just players moving into the path of the defender. A screen in normal basketball has to be set for some time. You can't just move next to a player and then instantly move. That's not a screen. These "screens" allow waaay too much separation and makes PnR all dominant.

Allow incidental contact - it's not always what you call, but what you don't call. Simply allow a baseline of contact on drives. You don't have to call something just because there was contact. This is a major difference vs FIBA ball and previous NBA.

- this is the big one. The defensive 3 seconds has almost made the NBA a different sport. Basketball, for almost all its history, and still in FIBA, has a big guy in the paint. That's where a lot of the excitement of the game comes from. Someone like Ant, Vince, Kobe, MJ, AI going to the hoop and trying to beat the mountain. This excitement just isn't there anymore. Dunks are meaningless. Acrobatic finishes are meaningless.
    I like these. The problem is clearly defining what that base line of contact on drives is. Also, defensive 3 isn't coming back for commercial reasons. It lowers the value of the guard and increases the value of the big. And well big guys don't sell shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    You could always do it. Iverson was the king of this. Reggie Miller built a career out of what is now an offensive foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Allow hand-checking in the backcourt to encourage full-court pressure and scores off turnovers. Make it hard for teams to bring the ball up the court.
    Hand check won't change any of that. That stuff was going away without the rule changes because guards were continuing to get better at handling the ball at high speeds. Hand check is not stopping a guy with a head of steam.

Games tonight...

Cam Thomas: 40 points
    Curry: 60 points
    Trae: 35 points
    Fox: 41 points
    Brunson: 36 points
    Giannis: 48 points
    Ball hog: 40 points

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    It lowers the value of the guard
    Does it really?

Or does it only lower the value of some guards and raises it of others?

I mean, guards like Ant who can dunk and finish acrobatically, they'd be bigger stars when they had all the highlights of dunking on 7 footers.

We remember Vince from dunking on people in the def 3 second era, not Vince the 3 point shooter.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Does it really?

I mean, guards like Ant who can dunk and finish acrobatically, they'd be bigger stars when they had all the highlights of dunking on 7 footers.

We remember Vince from dunking on people in the def 3 second era, not Vince the 3 point shooter.
    Him being able to shoot as well is what set him apart from most other high fliers so I certainly remember him for that

Banned

Co-sign all of these

You can't expect to drive to the line and not make contact, and the defense shouldn't be penalized.

Does it really?

True. All these little guards in the league that are burning defenders and getting layups are going to have it tough. The guards who will be mostly fine are the ones like Ant who have the strength and elevation to finish through contact. Guys like Trae and Brunson would see a huge dip in production.

I rule the local playground

I would like to see plays like this no longer go to question. I have seen Cam J and Ant have several dunks ruled an offensive foul and I think it's absurd to penalize athleticism. The defender should challenge at the rim or get the F out of the way. Getting in the way to take the charge is barely basketball.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by FilmyCogTurner View Post

I would like to see plays like this no longer go to question. I have seen Cam J and Ant have several dunks ruled an offensive foul and I think it's absurd to penalize athleticism. The defender should challenge at the rim or get the F out of the way. Getting in the way to take the charge is barely basketball.
    Yeah, completely agree.

I hate this meme of trying to take an offensive foul in the paint.

Players do this because they feel they can't content a drive though. You also have to let them jump and contest without it being an automatic foul.