Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Tony Snell needs a team to sign him for one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    I don't feel bad for him, but give him the contract. It's nothing for a billion dollar organization.
    Im not sure the Players Union’s retiree benefits program is a billion dollar organization. Maybe it is, I dunno. But it’s not the NBA giving him this money, I imagine.

This presumably comes from a set amount in a pool that the PA bargained for and/or also “taxes” their own players to accumulate and so on. And they set the minimum at 10 years of service for whatever reason was agreed upon.

So the NBA player who plays 15 years at the end of the bench for minimum contracts is gonna have to share some of his compensation with Snell - who may very well have made more than him in total - because someone decided to give Snell a year’s worth of service for a day’s worth of work.

I mean, it’s up to them what they wanna do. Doesnt matter to me one way or another. But anyone who thinks it’s wealthy NBA owners who fork out the charity in this situation, I think youre mistaken.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mask the Embiid View Post
    We know you are a piece of shit who has no empathy for people…u didn’t need to remind us
    That guy made more money than I will in many lifetimes. I am sorry that he was irresponsible or ignorant or whatever happened. That's not my fault. It's not the NBA's fault either. It's not the fault of the players union either.

It's "his" fault.

I don't have a bleeding heart for the NBA or the union either and I don't care if he gets the money. I'm just not feeling bad for the guy. Am I supposed to? Really?
    Last edited by Wardell Curry; 01-31-2024 at 03:33 PM.

I'm confused, is he asking for a 1 day contract or is this something just being mentioned?

Is he unable to work or what? Most NBA players are done mid-30s... so even younger than me. I can and do work, what prevents him from working? Surely he can be a bball coach, i'm sure any high school would pick him up in a heartbeat and offer him and his family insurance.

Looking more into it, dude just bought a 2M house less than 10 years ago... are we sure he's asking for the one day contract for the benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    I'm confused, is he asking for a 1 day contract or is this something just being mentioned?

Is he unable to work or what? Most NBA players are done mid-30s... so even younger than me. I can and do work, what prevents him from working? Surely he can be a bball coach, i'm sure any high school would pick him up in a heartbeat and offer him and his family insurance.

Looking more into it, dude just bought a 2M house less than 10 years ago... are we sure he's asking for the one day contract for the benefits?
    Why else would he be asking for it...?

This whole thread is filled with presumptions because proper links were not provided. I just read the linked article, dude said he wants to make a comeback for himself, but also recognizes one more day of gameplay enables healthcare benefits to himself and his family which is why he stated that.

He still has a foundation (https://www.tonysnellfoundation.com/) that focuses on helping those with autism and down syndrome.

Way to provide context OP...

Good High School Starter

This whole thread is filled with presumptions because proper links were not provided. I just read the linked article, dude said he wants to make a comeback for himself, but also recognizes one more day of gameplay enables healthcare benefits to himself and his family which is why he stated that.

He still has a foundation (https://www.tonysnellfoundation.com/) that focuses on helping those with autism and down syndrome.

Way to provide context OP...
    You didn't add anything. All you confirmed is that it's about money. You can move the words around and change them in a bunch of different ways while using a bunch of different words if you like but at the end that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Why else would he be asking for it...?
    Because he wants to play in the NBA once again? How many players try for a comeback?

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    You didn't add anything. All you confirmed is that it's about money. You can move the words around and change them in a bunch of different ways while using a bunch of different words if you like but at the end that's what it is.
    Uhh last I read there is a ongoing conversation about having empathy and possibly needing money to provide care for his children with medical needs.

what I added was his intention for wanting to be back in the league.

It's to play... he is not strapped for money.

Because he wants to play in the NBA once again? How many players try for a comeback?
    You asked if it was why he would want a 1 day contract. I dont think making a basketball comeback would be possible on a 1 day contract.

That said, the discussion in this thread does seem to have snowballed away from the actual facts of the topic. Nowhere in the OP's graphic does it say Snell is seeking a 1 day contract. People just assumed it based on OP's wording and everyone got carried away from there.

Good luck to Snell with whatever he's doing.

You asked if it was why he would want a 1 day contract. I dont think making a basketball comeback would be possible on a 1 day contract.

That said, the discussion in this thread does seem to have snowballed away from the actual facts of the topic. Nowhere in the OP's graphic does it say Snell is seeking a 1 day contract. People just assumed it based on OP's wording and everyone got carried away from there.

Good luck to Snell with whatever he's doing.
    My message was directed towards OP, not just the graphic which obviously is limited in characters but included a link to read the article. The title of this thread is "Tony Snell needs a team to sign him for one day."

The title of this thread is "Tony Snell needs a team to sign him for one day."
    Yeah but that's just OP starting a discussion. And then Kizzle suggested a team should sign him for a day and cut him. And Overdrive said "just give him the contract."

Nowhere does it say Snell himself is seeking a 1 day contract just to fulfill the benefits service requirement.

He's likely trying to catch on with a team for the rest of the season. Not being the chiseler everyone else in the thread is suggesting he be.

Yeah but that's just OP starting a discussion. Nowhere does it say Snell himself is seeking a 1 day contract just to fulfill the benefits service requirement.

He's likely trying to catch on with a team for the rest of the season.
    Yeah... that's my point.

You think I'm talking to a graphic? You can't be that dense...

OP made it sound like hes looking for a single-game contract...

hence my message was directed towards him: "way to provide context OP"

Good High School Starter

Uhh last I read there is a ongoing conversation about having empathy and possibly needing money to provide care for his children with medical needs.

what I added was his intention for wanting to be back in the league.

It's to play... he is not strapped for money.
    Medical benefits for his autistic children is just a real fancy way of saying "money." I'm not saying that those kids don't have needs.

Obviously having a full blown autistic kid would cost more than a prototypical child but nothing even remotely approaching a number that a guy who made 20+ million after taxes couldn't handle unless he blew the money.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Is it safe to assume the stance for most people is that “He’s made enough money, so **** him!”?

Im sure that’s the position of many here. Just wondering how widespread it is.

Im not sure the Players Union’s retiree benefits program is a billion dollar organization. Maybe it is, I dunno. But it’s not the NBA giving him this money, I imagine.

This presumably comes from a set amount in a pool that the PA bargained for and/or also “taxes” their own players to accumulate and so on. And they set the minimum at 10 years of service for whatever reason was agreed upon.

So the NBA player who plays 15 years at the end of the bench for minimum contracts is gonna have to share some of his compensation with Snell - who may very well have made more than him in total - because someone decided to give Snell a year’s worth of service for a day’s worth of work.

I mean, it’s up to them what they wanna do. Doesnt matter to me one way or another. But anyone who thinks it’s wealthy NBA owners who fork out the charity in this situation, I think youre mistaken.
    Never knew. Always thought the NBA puts in an amount based on the players in it. So if 100 ülayers join the program they have to increase the pool. If players joining the pool lowers the per capita it would be pretty unfair for guys who played 30 or 40 years ago who earned next to nothing compared to him. If that's the case I'd say f him.