Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Mamba Mentality gonna doom Boston in the playoffs?

Derrick White and Porzingis tonight:
    45 points on 29 shots

Jay T and Jay B:
    35 points on 43 shots.

This happens a fair amount, even in Celtic wins.

I know there are people who say if the other guys have to take more shots their efficiency wont look as good, which is probably true, but as long as it doesnt decline all the way to the equivalent of 35 points on 43 shots, it's still an improvement. Like even if it lands somewhere in between 45 on 29 and 35 on 43... that's better than 35 on 43.

Yes there are nights where JT/JB make their shots and they have big lines on good efficiency and it looks great. But it's not a consistent thing.

Im sure it's an awkward conversation for Boston to tell these two franchise cornerstones with the team's longest seniority to go ahead and just take a step back... but I also think it's kinda dangerous for their chances if they dont.

Horford only took 5 shots in 27 minutes. Porzingis scored his 21 points on 11 shots. Hauser and Pritchard took took 3 combined shots in 28 total minutes off the bench.

I mean is this really what the Celtics are gonna do? Have all this talent spread around the floor, and let JT and JB just go Mamba Mentality mode?

Is that really the plan?

I know RMWG thinks it's a great plan because he doesnt have an adaptive intellect, but does everyone else think this makes sense?

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Default Re: Is Mamba Mentality gonna doom Boston in the playoffs?

The Porzingis numbers are deceiving. He played very well in the 1st quarter and didn't do much after. White was good the whole game.

Boston is a very good team. As you said, both Tatum and Brown played below average and the team nearly survived. The Nuggets' all offense was Jokic and Murray today. Plenty of airballs from three. So both teams lacked some offense.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale View Post
    The Porzingis numbers are deceiving. He played very well in the 1st quarter and didn't do much after. White was good the whole game.

Boston is a very good team. As you said, both Tatum and Brown played below average and the team nearly survived. The Nuggets' all offense was Jokic and Murray today. Plenty of airballs from three. So both teams lacked some offense.
    Well he only took 11 shots total. He's a center not the point guard so if you stop feeding him what's he supposed to do?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Well he only took 11 shots total. He's a center not the point guard so if you stop feeding him what's he supposed to do?
    that's life in the NBA for most bigs today

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Someone that actually knows about the Celtics would know that Tatum shots 47% and Brown shoots 49%. They lost today but they are not "the problem, " whatever the problem is for the best team in the league.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Someone that actually knows about the Celtics would know that Tatum shots 47% and Brown shoots 49%. They lost today but they are not "the problem, " whatever the problem is for the best team in the league.
    I only watched the last quarter but the problem is the same problem they had last year...

Their coach is not good enough.

College superstar

Lol do the celtics need more help?

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I saw the game from start to finish but would have to watch it again to see what really happened. I remember Porzingis having hit 3 three pointers by the 6 minute mark of the 1st quarter at the latest. Both him and Horford tried to stop Jokic one on one but it didn't really work. Jokic started missing late in the game but those were impossible shots to make. 0.3 on the shotclock and a Sombor shuffle 3 pointer (the one that went in against Davis in last year's WCF). The 76ers game play was much better.

What makes Boston very good is the fact they didn't play very well and almost won.

Then again, I'm not sure what has happened to Kristaps after the 1st. I forgot. The game was too intense and I somwhow simply can't remember his role after the 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post
    I only watched the last quarter but the problem is the same problem they had last year...

Too bad you missed the 1st three quarters. You missed both Jokic and Murray at close to their best.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44 View Post

Maybe Mazulla should have given more instruction but we saw JB miss two big free throws, White missed an open three Tatum set him up for and Tatum blowing a tough layup (which he didn't have to take). The players had opportunities to make plays.

Maybe Mazulla should have given more instruction but we saw JB miss two big free throws, White missed an open three Tatum set him up for and Tatum blowing a tough layup (which he didn't have to take). The players had opportunities to make plays.
    Absolutely true but works both ways. The Nuggets were like 4 of 18 on three point attempts in the second hald and 4-5 of those misses were airballs. Jokic had at least 3 passes that normally result in a three with wide open looks but Gordon and Watson couldn't hit anything today.

However, the two best players on the floor tonight were Jokic and Murray and Boston had a very real chance of winning. (I thought all game long they would.) That's the sign of a great team.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Sure. They had opportunities, missed shots they should make. It happens, you lose games like this. The Nuggets are the defending champs.

The team is full of the best players in the world and the record reflects how good they are.

"Mr Offense" Muzzula is still the weakest link.

Say what you want about the three point attempts and Tatum and Brown's lack of free throws, but the last 17 seconds with possession and frantically using two timeouts like a NCAA team?

Well that laid it all out there for everyone to see the guy still looks like someone lucky to be there and that is way out of his depth.

Porzingis started the game on 3 of 3 and then on 4 of 5 shooting. Went 2 of 6 the rest of the way. He had 5 rebounds in the 1st Q. finished the game with 8 despite playing 36 minutes. So some of his lack of production later on in the game must have been his own doing.

Porzingis started the game on 3 of 3 and then on 4 of 5 shooting. Went 2 of 6 the rest of the way. He had 5 rebounds in the 1st Q. finished the game with 8 despite playing 36 minutes. So some of his lack of production later on in the game must have been his own doing.
    Pingis has never been a good rebounder, Ive pointed that out about his game for years, so thats something the Cs will just have to live with. But he is a good finisher, yet frequently lags well behind The Jay’s in shot attempts.

It doesnt make sense they would blatantly play in a sub optimal fashion, unless simply nobody is willing to tell the two long time captains they need to find the new guy more because he’s their most effective finisher now.

I said this earlier in the season, they need to play THRU the guy who’s one of the league leaders in TS% among 20+ ppg scorers more, instead of around him. They need to keep going to him UNTIL the defense adjusts, and let that open things up for the rest of them.

They have a unicorn on the team, and instead of riding it theyve got two dudes who arent those dudes just goin out there throwin it up, and sometimes getting KP involved as a secondary option.

It very well could cost them.

What exactly is your point?