Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Is Anthony Edwards “next” or is that space already occupied by Luka and SGA?

SGA and Ant are on the same trajectory.

Theyre not at Doncic level in any way yet though.

Default Re: Is Anthony Edwards “next” or is that space already occupied by Luka and SGA?

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

Shai was 1st team All NBA last year and finished 5th in the MVP voting. Shai is averaging 31 ppg with a 64% TS and is leading the league in steals. He also leads the league in offensive win shares. That is a pretty rare combination.

At this point I would say his chance at winning MVP this year is at least equal to Luka's.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post

and luka isn't on their level defensively in any way.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Doncic already played multiple playoff series and thrived. Hes ben considered an MVP candidate the last 2-3 years. He’s clearly “here.”

SGA has kinda formally arrived this year, even tho people could see last year he was becoming elite, and presuming he keeps this up in the playoffs. Edwards is too I guess but the Wolves arent on TV as much so I dont think he’s gonna get mentioned as often until he can take advantage of TV exposure in the playoffs.

It basically just comes down to perception, which goes hand in hand with exposure.
    This.

There’s nothing saying all 3 of them can’t be “next”. Who knows we could be entering a new golden age of the NBA. only time will tell

But like the poster said Luka and SGA are already ahead of him in trajectory but Ant is coming.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I mean if Kobe plays for Charlotte and TMac plays for LAL, is Kobe still the one getting compared to MJ and Bron as “that guy” from their era?

Very unlikely. These kinds of distinctions are made very superficially.
    Charlotte was actually pretty good around that time. They went 51-31 in 1998, 49-33 in 2000, 46-36 in 2001, and 44-38 in 2002.

Charlotte had multiple All Stars and real nice winning records right as Kobe was entering his prime. And they played in a weak ass East compared to the West.

Putting Kobe on 50 win teams out east in the early 2000s? They could've won something.

ANT is not yet on the level of Luka and SGA.

Also, Wembanyama might be the next if he can stay healthy.

On the OM3 podcast 198 their consensus was that Shai is currently 3rd in the MVP race behind Embiid and Jokic.

Jokic Stan

Anthony Edwards is overrated if anyone thinks he's going to be top 5 in the NBA soon. He just isn't a generational talent like that.

Definitely a good all-star though.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk View Post
    Anthony Edwards is overrated if anyone thinks he's going to be top 5 in the NBA soon. He just isn't a generational talent like that.

Definitely a good all-star though.

Yeah. The issue for him IMO is that players are getting bigger, and therefore playmakers are getting bigger to be able to pass over the defense. At his size its going to be hard to become an elite playmaker in today’s game IMO. He’s going to have to rely on quickness all the time which wont allow him to slow the game down as much when necessary, the way Lebron, Luka, Butler or whoever can start backing you down and still make a pass to anywhere on the court.

Still a very valuable player but I think his size is likely to keep him out of that top 5 range, unless he develops a Curry level jumper. Which obviously isnt gonna happen.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Ant body of work and consistency in post season needs some more volume before he ascends to Shai level. And Shai needs a little more post season volume to get to Luka's level. Shai finna get that this year in OKC's surprising post-season run. Ant sadly won't yet, because of how his team built, and who many likely matchups are.

Minnesnowta best case this post-season, is embarrassing the lake show, in a gentleman's sweep, before getting nuked from orbit the following series, by a team with much better PNR/PNP/3ptFG.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

More I Watch him the more he feels like next in that lineage personality wise. He takes things so personal. Every time Kevin Durant is near him it feels like it stops being a game and starts being him needing to show Durant and us who he is. It’s not always ideal but it’s how some of these competitive freaks are.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Charlotte was actually pretty good around that time. They went 51-31 in 1998, 49-33 in 2000, 46-36 in 2001, and 44-38 in 2002.

Charlotte had multiple All Stars and real nice winning records right as Kobe was entering his prime. And they played in a weak ass East compared to the West.

Putting Kobe on 50 win teams out east in the early 2000s? They could've won something.
    Could have won something? I mean…a few playoff series maybe.

Perhaps the eastern conference in an off year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    More I Watch him the more he feels like next in that lineage personality wise. He takes things so personal. Every time Kevin Durant is near him it feels like it stops being a game and starts being him needing to show Durant and us who he is. It’s not always ideal but it’s how some of these competitive freaks are.
    Yeah Edwards has definitely “got that Lebron in him” as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Ant is an interesting combination of dog and likability. From all accounts he is well liked by teammates and willing to be coached hard, but his competitiveness definitely comes through in games.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Luka is on another level.