Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Overrated musical artists in your opinion

A while back my YouTube feed was suddenly littered with videos about and of this band called "Polyphia", I got curious and looked them up and turned out they're a new popular Prog and Math Rock bank which was surprising cause I'm a fan of the genre and never heard of them. Anyway, long story short, I tried listening to a few of their songs and couldn't last till half point of their tracks before having to press skip track. According to YT they are the new King Crimson/Dream Theatre/Opeth but in reality their tracks sound like a bunch of pompous no talent shredders jerking off in your ear in a random order.

Good college starter Off the Court's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54 View Post
    Not gonna happen, and I'm the biggest old school hip hop fan of all time.

These kids are a product of social media and a shit society. People who created hip hop in the 20th century came from a different world. Most young kids can't even read at their age level, if at all (it's a real epidemic). You think these punks know what makes a boom bap beat knock or how to craft dope multisyllable rhymes?
    It's nothing to do with reading level, and everything to do with the internet giving anyone and everyone a voice. So we have a lot of garbage voices out there.

Today's rappers have the ability to simply upload something they mumbled in their basement on YouTube and that is all it takes.

In the 90s the population was only subjected to high production cost rap. Anything else was an underground mixtape.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers View Post
    I felt this about Kanye when he first came along.
    Kanye is probably the closest thing the genre has to a GOAT imo. I know that's a very loose term, especially when talking about something as subjective as music, but that's how I feel. There is a Kanye song for mostly every occasion and every crowd. His music transcends rap and hip hop.

He fell off like they all do, and he's put out his fair share of TRASH, but his run from 03-09ish is pretty untouchable if you ask me. At least if we're talking strictly rap and hip hop.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby View Post
    A while back my YouTube feed was suddenly littered with videos about and of this band called "Polyphia", I got curious and looked them up and turned out they're a new popular Prog and Math Rock bank which was surprising cause I'm a fan of the genre and never heard of them. Anyway, long story short, I tried listening to a few of their songs and couldn't last till half point of their tracks before having to press skip track. According to YT they are the new King Crimson/Dream Theatre/Opeth but in reality their tracks sound like a bunch of pompous no talent shredders jerking off in your ear in a random order.
    Oh yeah. Talented, but the music is utter garbage. Also got them recommended to me, because I like prog.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyMeatballs View Post
    The thing about Kanye though is that he actually is regarded as one of the greatest rappers ever. He's in the top 5 of almost every list I've seen
    psych, but he's a nuts producer. People feel Kanye but I think a lot of the real hip hop guys are kinda like ehh about his rap. I forgot who said it but dudes were like when I first met Kanye he just kept rapping and making us listen to his rap and we were like plz stop.

Drake as GOAT tho that's funny.

I dunno if it's even as much about the culture, but there are def people who shit all over him.

I think my top 5 is like...

Lord Superb
    Sean Price
    Lord Have Mercy
    Stack Bundles
    n prol someone from wu. RZA used to be my shit.

I don't see how Drake or Kanye is touching any of those dudes on the mic. Kanye at least has hype, but he'd get slayed.

-Smak

National High School Star

Beyonce - I don't think she's a top tier pop star...she's really fifth at best behind Swift, Gaga, Adele, Rihanna

Kiss - Great merch sellers for Stadium shows in the 70's...not an all-time great band.

Drake - I don't know what a Drake is, I don't know anything he's ever done

Jimi Hendrix - Congrats on being able to play a guitar...Otis Redding, Pete Townshed, and Bob Dylan he's not.

Tool - STP for weirdos, the group is fine but the fans are just bizarre

Tupac/Biggie - little unfair but if they didn't get murdered I'm not sure if they would have the legacy they have.

The Grateful Dead - I don't do drugs so not my thing

RUSH - I don't know why they've been around as long as they have been

Arcade Fire- this generation of Rock gets a lot of prestige

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    Oh yeah. Talented, but the music is utter garbage. Also got them recommended to me, because I like prog.
    I hate to be that guy but they def Gen Z Prog

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post

Jimi Hendrix - Congrats on being able to play a guitar...Otis Redding, Pete Townshed, and Bob Dylan he's not.
    If anything Hendrix is an underrated songwriter compared to his guitarplaying fame.

Tool - STP for weirdos, the group is fine but the fans are just bizarre
    How can a band be overrated for its fans behaviour?

RUSH - I don't know why they've been around as long as they have been
    I figure why you wouldn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby View Post
    I hate to be that guy but they def Gen Z Prog
    Probably, but showboat bands have been around forever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    psych, but he's a nuts producer. People feel Kanye but I think a lot of the real hip hop guys are kinda like ehh about his rap. I forgot who said it but dudes were like when I first met Kanye he just kept rapping and making us listen to his rap and we were like plz stop.

Drake as GOAT tho that's funny.

I dunno if it's even as much about the culture, but there are def people who shit all over him.

I think my top 5 is like...

Lord Superb
    Sean Price
    Lord Have Mercy
    Stack Bundles
    n prol someone from wu. RZA used to be my shit.

I don't see how Drake or Kanye is touching any of those dudes on the mic. Kanye at least has hype, but he'd get slayed.

-Smak
    Lol, I wasn't talking about rhyming ability. I was speaking strictly in terms of music and career.

Good luck hosting a party and putting on Stack Bundles.

If anything Hendrix is an underrated songwriter compared to his guitarplaying fame.

How can a band be overrated for its fans behaviour?

I figure why you wouldn't know.
    Jimmy was a one-man band, people hear his name and all they think of is the dude who played the guitar with his mouth. Nobody talks about how he influenced so many genres from psychedelic rock to prog rock and even guitar heavy genres i.e heavy rock, metal etc. He was a great songwriter, lyricist and had fantastic vocals prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by John8204 View Post
    Tupac/Biggie - little unfair but if they didn't get murdered I'm not sure if they would have the legacy they have.
    I like both but you're not wrong. Musicians who died early are often remembered and appreciated more. Kurt Cobain for example

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

snopp dog to the Olympics

Every so called great band or artist of x, y, z.

I love the Beatles, but they're overrated as f. Just like other best/greatest touted bands of other decades, like Led Zeppelin, Guns n Roses, Michael Jackson, the already mentioned Taylor Swift etcetc.

For the Beatles: People act like they were some untouchable songwriting gods. I agree that the were great at it, but fanboys and alot of critics act like others couldn't write material like them.

For Jackson: Alot of people are crazy about him, but aside from the hits is back catalogue is mostly boring. Never saw the appeal of his music album wise and sure the hits are all time tunes for the pop and rock era.
    Led Zeppelin overrated???

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo View Post
    Led Zeppelin overrated???
    Yes, in the sense that people act like bands such as the Beatles, LZ and other all time great bands are some untouchable gods who filled their albums with great songs after another while just like most other bands alot of their catalogue is basically filler material. It's just that their great songs are better than the lesser known bands and that they have some really strong albums.