Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wembanyama bball IQ

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post

People wanting to hype him as some GOAT talents were always ridicolous, based on what? Being tall?

What he does at his height, how he plays offensively + his defensive abilities are quite interesting. We haven't seen that kind of athleticism from a guy like that before. So no, it's not just based on him being tall. I don't have a problem with people wishing he becomes the best ever. It would be crazy to witness given the potential.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    What he does at his height, how he plays offensively + his defensive abilities are quite interesting. We haven't seen that kind of athleticism from a guy like that before. So no, it's not just based on him being tall. I don't have a problem with people wishing he becomes the best ever. It would be crazy to witness given the potential.
    What does he do at his height that Porzingis can't do better?

Porzingis is not as athletic as Wemby. He's way less experimental with his skill set. The difference is pretty clear hence the Wemby hype. Also Porzingis doesn't have that ridiculous wingspan. Why do you do this?

He is a better rim defender and perimeter defender, as well as athlete than Porzingis. Seems to have a far better eye for a pass too.

Porzingis is a good player in the league when healthy, so if he is at that level first year, without adapting to the league yet... doing okay I think.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Porzingis is an excellent defender and has a good shot at the allstar game this year. But Wembanyama is still a better defender. It's no slight to Porzingis, Wembanyama is already the best help defender in the game. We've never seen anyone that covers space like he does and he can't be shot over.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Porzingis is an excellent defender and has a good shot at the allstar game this year. But Wembanyama is still a better defender. It's no slight to Porzingis, Wembanyama is already the best help defender in the game. We've never seen anyone that covers space like he does and he can't be shot over.
    Sure, but Porzingis has also been an elite rim protector.

In his third season, 2017/2018, before getting injured, Porzingis led the league in allowed FG% at the rim.

In the same season he averaged 27 ppg with 40% from 3 through the first 30 games.

People never paid attention to Zingis. He was a legit MVP candidate during that time. Then he got injured and never recovered.

Like I said, if Wemby can become Porzingis, without the injuries, then everyone should be very happy.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Sure, but Porzingis has also been an elite rim protector.

In his third season, 2017/2018, before getting injured, Porzingis led the league in allowed FG% at the rim.

In the same season he averaged 27 ppg with 40% from 3 through the first 30 games.

People never paid attention to Zingis. He was a legit MVP candidate during that time. Then he got injured and never recovered.

Like I said, if Wemby can become Porzingis, without the injuries, then everyone should be very happy.
    but injuries are a thing especially when you are too tall

I havent seen anything wrong with his bball IQ, I think he’s 19 years old and 7’3.5 inches tall, which is absolutely freakish. He understandably could use some time to figure out exactly how to leverage his body best in an NBA setting.

Even then Ive seen him do a good job sealing smaller defenders, making quick improvised moves to the basket, finding teammates with nice passes. Really havent noticed anything that would make me question his game sense.

The biggest issue from what I can see is the shooting just isnt there many nights. That would be the main thing he needs to improve upon. And again, at his bizarre height, his jump shot probably has a different mechanic than most. So people need to settle down and be patient, he’s still a damn teenager.