Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Chet Holmgren: Better than Wemby? The OTHER rookie unicorn [Thinking Basketball]

Chet has been so good.

All hype aside, this is actually a legit question right now.

Default Re: Chet Holmgren: Better than Wemby? The OTHER rookie unicorn [Thinking Basketball]

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    19 pts(46/32/76)/8rbd/2 ass/1 stl/3 blk/4 to

17(56/54/90)/8 rbd/3 ass/1 stl/2 blk/2 to

Chet is shooting better. Maybe because he's not the main focus of the other team like Vic. Also his 2nd year in the league much like when Simmons won it over Mitchell
    Now go peak at all the advanced stats.

Chet clears Wemby (so far in their rookie years).

Chet is just so much more polished. Much better shooter and ball handler. Sets proper screens and knows where to be and when. Doesn't shy away from physicality. Victor has 20+ pounds on him but plays much softer. It's a mindset.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn View Post
    Now go peak at all the advanced stats.

Chet clears Wemby (so far in their rookie years).
    they won't be looking at advanced stats when they pick the ROTY. Kessler might have won it last year if they did

Facts Are Misleading

If Chet actually is Wembys rival in future years, it will be ironic that the tables have switched.

Duncan was the one, much like Chet who came into a great situations while Garnett came into a terrible situation much like Wemby has.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    If Chet actually is Wembys rival in future years, it will be ironic that the tables have switched.

Duncan was the one, much like Chet who came into a great situations while Garnett came into a terrible situation much like Wemby has.
    That actually is an apt and good comparison to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Chet is just so much more polished. Much better shooter and ball handler. Sets proper screens and knows where to be and when. Doesn't shy away from physicality. Victor has 20+ pounds on him but plays much softer. It's a mindset.
    100% this. Watched Wemby tonight and he was not good, plus he has bad defenders all around him minus a couple of guards. I'm sure it helps that Chet had access to the finest NBA help for a year... just like I said about Ben Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    100% this. Watched Wemby tonight and he was not good, plus he has bad defenders all around him minus a couple of guards. I'm sure it helps that Chet had access to the finest NBA help for a year... just like I said about Ben Simmons
    I agree, altho Yama did play professionally, so he wasnt limited in the time he could spend on basketball. Also the Spurs started working with him full time basically since the moment they won the lottery. So he’s had a ton of top flight preparation to get here.

That said, he HAS clearly made a lot of progress from where he was originally as a prospect. He’s obviously taking his career seriously and doing what he has to do. But he does have a higher learning curve than Chet, whose dad was a D-1 bball player himself and was teaching Chet the game from a young age.

Similar to someone like Curry, Chet was raised to do this from Day 1. I think in Yama’s case it was more that when he emerged as a giant he was prompted to go into basketball. So he’s not necessarily the most natural talent out there. He’s gotta keep working at it but so far I think the progress he has shown bodes well.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    I agree, altho Yama did play professionally, so he wasnt limited in the time he could spend on basketball. Also the Spurs started working with him full time basically since the moment they won the lottery. So he’s had a ton of top flight preparation to get here.

That said, he HAS clearly made a lot of progress from where he was originally as a prospect. He’s obviously taking his career seriously and doing what he has to do. But he does have a higher learning curve than Chet, whose dad was a D-1 bball player himself and was teaching Chet the game from a young age.

Similar to someone like Curry, Chet was raised to do this from Day 1. I think in Yama’s case it was more that when he emerged as a giant he was prompted to go into basketball. So he’s not necessarily the most natural talent out there. He’s gotta keep working at it but so far I think the progress he has shown bodes well.
    Victor's parents were professional basketball players I believe. Or at least his mother was.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Victor's parents were professional basketball players I believe. Or at least his mother was.
    Ah, did not realize this. I thought he got into basketball later for some reason. Must be confusing him with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Ah, did not realize this. I thought he got into basketball later for some reason. Must be confusing him with someone else.
    I think Victor's just a little soft right now and too obsessed with fitting an aesthetic and not being effective. Has the Chris Webber disease: wants to play like a guard, a "modern" big. But I'm not sure he'll ever be good enough of a shooter and ball handler. Chet is a different story, though. He can definitely play outside off the strength of his perimeter play.

Chet has a higher motor, and that is the difference right now while they are inexperienced.

Very good NBA starter

Wemby could actually be compared to a young Kevin Garnett too, though KG was always more talented with the ball, but they are both oversized and play smaller than they are.

If holmgren manages to lead his team above somewhere from their 4th-6th seed last season, i think it'd be safe to say that he would have a fair chance.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    If holmgren manages to lead his team above somewhere from their 4th-6th seed last season, i think it'd be safe to say that he would have a fair chance.
    he's not leading anyone and winning has little to do with ROTY