Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Let's be honest, a lot of classic hip-hop is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    Honestly it's funny seeing these guys try to lecture people who have worked in the music in industry for decades...about music.

Thanks for playing. Too easy.
    Hurr durr I worked in da industree so i know muzik durr

I doubt you've ever written a song in your life, much less one that people will pay money for. Or worked in a studio. Or performed live. Or know what it even takes to put yourself out there in such an industry.

I don't tell you what books should be in the library. Stop it.

I'll be siding with Chewing for now on...

So your opposition to fascism is just superficial?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    Rap as a whole is a very negative genre of music. There's incredibly impressive talent in the rhyming and word play ability some of the top talent had but it always boiled down to violence, materialism, and fornication. Not good for mind or soul to listen to.

A lot of Rock was just as bad. Talking about the same things, very aggressive and violent white boys head banging trying to hype themselves up, the whole genre littered with drug abuse and sin.

It's rare you find a clean soul in the music industry. Even guys who sung love songs were on some wild shit if you look into their history.
    i could care less about their personal lives. pretty sure i would probably hate most of my favorite artists lol. really just talking about the music in general.

there is a difference between "aggressive" music and music that willingly glorifies ignorance and criminality. it's not so much that there are songs about being a criminal, it's that the songs are about the benefits of being a criminal and how being a criminal is cool. a lot of these rappers preach a "money by any means" mentality.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    i could care less about their personal lives. pretty sure i would probably hate most of my favorite artists lol. really just talking about the music in general.

there is a difference between "aggressive" music and music that willingly glorifies ignorance and criminality. it's not so much that there are songs about being a criminal, it's that the songs are about the benefits of being a criminal and how being a criminal is cool. a lot of these rappers preach a "money by any means" mentality.
    Rock stars constantly sung about criminal shit and drug abuse. They're not quite as bad as rappers but there isn't a huge difference.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

I mean they were on some real wierdo shit.

I doubt you've ever written a song in your life, much less one that people will pay money for. Or worked in a studio. Or performed live. Or know what it even takes to put yourself out there in such an industry.

I don't tell you what books should be in the library. Stop it.
    You worked in a studio? Great. Did you actually work on material? Working in a studio could mean you cleaned the toilettes after Rick Rubin took a shit, could mean you were there to set up gear or you actually worked on music. But it doesn't really tell us anything.

Aside from that I wrote(and to an lesser extent still write) songs, I gigged, I own gear en masse. I live in the capitol of classical music and education on it is mandatory from the age of 10.

You cannot give me any counter argument aside from "Hurr durr I plugged cables into amps for some random studio and once wrote a ballad in Amaj".

Mozart was absolutely restricted in what he was allowed to do. Is he a greater musical mind than probably almost anyone who ever created music? Maybe and most probably.

Still my points stands. As a writer he definately was more limited than let's say Robert Fripp. That doesn't make Fripp better or greater than Mozart. It just means that Fripp can and could write more groundbreaking music than Mozart could do relative to their pears.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
    You worked in a studio? Great. Did you actually work on material?
    Yes. Many albums I have contributed to are available for you to purchase. And no, I won't put my identity out there on a forum full of pyschos.

Working in a studio could mean you cleaned the toilettes after Rick Rubin took a shit, could mean you were there to set up gear or you actually worked on music. But it doesn't really tell us anything.
    I wasn't even talking to you actually and your comment is pointless.

Aside from that I wrote(and to an lesser extent still write) songs, I gigged, I own gear en masse. I live in the capitol of classical music and education on it is mandatory from the age of 10.
    Want a cookie?

You cannot give me any counter argument aside from "Hurr durr I plugged cables into amps for some random studio and once wrote a ballad in Amaj".

You aren't saying anything relevant and I don't care about your shitty rock band.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Yes. Many albums I have contributed to are available for you to purchase. And no, I won't put my identity out there on a forum full of pyschos.

I wasn't even talking to you actually and your comment is pointless.

Want a cookie?

You aren't saying anything relevant and I don't care about your shitty rock band.
    So cleaning toilettes it is.

Maybe it's hard for you to believe because you're not very good. I don't care either way. Too many insecure people and actors in the industry.

Maybe it's hard for you to believe because you're not very good. I don't care either way. Too many insecure people and actors in the industry.
    It's not hard to believe, there are enough people in the business, it just doesn't have any merit if it's the only thing that backs up your claim.

"Trust me I'm an expert" isn't anything convincing on the internet. You don't have to give your identity away nor do I exactly care what you worked as. I've been around in the scene here for quite some time and know my fair share of music business people. Not on the scale the US has to offer but still. I know how most are and that makes it even more funny:

You back your stance why your take stands by saying you worked in the industry while calling most people there being full of shit, while you can't even form an argument around your very hot take that Mozart is basically > Guns n Roses. Maybe if you're a tad selfaware you'd see that you share that very same traits you go on about the "industry".

So give me your expertise on what makes KV331(all 3 movements) a better written musical piece than Lizard(all 4 movements) especially in the climate of the musical context of their time.

You're really hung up on the Mozart and Guns N' Roses comments huh?

Look, I'm sorry if playing the intro to Sweet Child of Mine during school assembly and talking to the guys about gear at the store was your crowning musical achievement but I don't care. See how that works? You're doing everything you want to criticize me for while trying to start some corny debate that YOU KNOW will go nowhere due to the nature of the topic. I simply don't care enough. Maybe once upon a time, but not now.

I'm probably a better person than you in general btw...