Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Let's be honest, a lot of classic hip-hop is overrated.

i love rap. grew up on rap. still have over 10,000 rap songs in my apple music library.

a lot of it was trash, even the stuff we often revere and look back fondly upon. i am mostly talking the gangsta and gritty rap era from the early 90's and onwards.

- lots of albums and songs were dumbed down by weed carriers and money men who could barely rap.

- too many rappers who weren't good enough to go solo went solo.

- all the same rappers started working with all the same producers, causing everyone to sound the same.

- lyrical content is too vulgar and inappropriate to play at parties or functions where elderly people, classy people or young children are present.

- lyrical content is shallow and often glorifies ignorance.

i can honestly say that even as someone who genuinely loves rap, even the best that time period has to offer does not hold a candle to the best that other genres like rock, pop and r&b had to offer. sometimes you'll hear some edgelord be like "pfttt, 2pac was the best musical artist of all time"... and as someone who is a 2pac fan i honestly want to slap this person.

Default Re: Let's be honest, a lot of classic hip-hop is overrated.

Unblocking you for this one thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    i love rap. grew up on rap. still have over 10,000 rap songs in my apple music library.

a lot of it was trash, even the stuff we often revere and look back fondly upon. i am mostly talking the gangsta and gritty rap era from the early 90's and onwards.

- lots of albums and songs were dumbed down by weed carriers and money men who could barely rap.

- all the same rappers started working with all the same producers, causing everyone to sound the same.

- lyrical content is too vulgar and inappropriate to play at parties or functions where elderly people, classy people or young children are present.

It's still the same now only more dumbed down...

sometimes you'll hear some edgelord be like "pfttt, 2pac was the best musical artist of all time"... and as someone who is a 2pac fan i honestly want to slap this person.
    Good.

Sounds like you're growing out of love with it. It happens and it's ok. You get older and mellow out. It's too simple for me these days tbh and the way some people think some lyrics are the most clever shit ever makes me embarrassed for them now. The production is fairly simple unless you're clueless to it all, the chord changes simple etc. I don't actively dislike it now or anything but have gone from wanting to know every single thing being released to not giving a shit when a friend tells me about a new album from a group I once regularly listened to. I thought Lil Wayne and Drake were an absolute joke before my interest in the scene began to weaken. Was strange seeing people treating these guys who can't make music for shit like icons. Just sad.

And while we are talking about music, Sweet Child of Mine is the most overrated song of all time.

Hotel California>>>Sweet Child of Mine

And Mozart was better at writing music than any rock band...
    Last edited by SATAN; 11-06-2023 at 12:28 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

West coast rap had Death Row. Up north they had e-40, 2 short, richie rich, mac dre, Rappin 4 tay. Drake ripped off 4tay not too long ago and supposedly gave him 100 grand for it. Bay area rap scene was going strong in the 90’s.

I wasn’t as big into East Coast, but they had Biggie and Nas.

While music is ultimately subjective, i’m going to have to disagree. Early to mid 90’s were amazing for rap.

I need to give more thought but I wanna say later 2000’s is when stuff declined in my opinion. Lil Wayne, Drake, Rick Ross. Miss me with that cheesy shit.

the 2000’s had a somewhat rough patch for bay area rap too. mainly after mac dre got shot in kansas city. They started signing tons of low quality guys and producing bad albums under the thizznation mac dre label and used him as branding to sell sub quality albums. This went on for a number of years and ultimately ended when all of the thizznation guys ended up going to jail for drug charges . e40 got a little out there with some of the albums he released during this period as well.
    Last edited by warriorfan; 11-06-2023 at 07:17 AM.

this describes no limit records to a tee.

90s hip hop is among the highest forms of music to ever exist

i can honestly say that even as someone who genuinely loves rap, even the best that time period has to offer does not hold a candle to the best that other genres like rock, pop and r&b had to offer. sometimes you'll hear some edgelord be like "pfttt, 2pac was the best musical artist of all time"... and as someone who is a 2pac fan i honestly want to slap this person.
    just when you think OP can't say dumber shit, he goes and makes this thread

as if the beatles and other early rock groups didn't make the most basic shit either. oh wow, another song about drugs and sex...wow how amazing so groundbreaking.

"i want to hold your hand" "please somebody haaaaaalpppp" "we alll livee in a yellow submarine"

*white people*

Stop upsetting the Drake fans guys.

Rap and Hip Hop are overrated as a whole genre TBH.

I say this as someone who grew up on rock (metal especially) but I liked Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Snoop, Dre, Ice Cube, NWA etc.

Rap/hip hop's heyday was '88-'94. Everything beyond that sucked, save for a few blips here and there.

PS - I couldn't name a Drake song if my life depended on it. I'm not convinced there actually is one.

Baller234 and Satan embarrasing themselves in this thread

Even if you think 2Pac and Biggie are overrated (both objectively phenomenal artists regardless), guys like Big L and Big Pun were absolutely brilliant. Wu-Tang Clan and Nas as well.

Personal fave. Not too mainstream as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3 View Post

Even if you think 2Pac and Biggie are overrated (both objectively phenomenal artists regardless), guys like Big L and Big Pun were absolutely brilliant. Wu-Tang Clan and Nas as well.
    there was something for everyone in the nineties rap game. aside from the three goats in pac, nas & big, there was much diversity in terms of styles and production. there's simply way to many above average and top tier artists coming out of that era with literally hundreds of timeless hits to boot. rap held it's own alongside other genres in that regard.

What I said isn't embarrassing at all. It's mostly a young man's game. Trying to "be down" in your 40s is ****ing stupid unless you are in the industry. I still like KRS, Redman etc but don't go out of my way to hear it since there's literally a trillion other things to do instead. Rap became so ****ing mainstream and accepted. Not that it shouldn't be accepted but it's certainly old news being peddled by majors for reasons I won't go into. Anyway, you grow up and things change a bit. I know you are younger than I. Baller was right about the ignorance although there are also good things to be found. I remember seeing what kind of people were suddenly "into hip-hop" once Eminem blew up. Strange. It hasn't changed much since. "Urban" lolol. Jack Harlow. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by SATAN View Post
    What I said isn't embarrassing at all. It's mostly a young man's game. Trying to "be down" in your 40s is ****ing stupid unless you are in the industry. I still like KRS, Redman etc but don't go out of my way to hear it since there's literally a trillion other things to do instead. Rap became so ****ing mainstream and accepted. Not that it shouldn't be accepted but it's certainly old news being peddled by majors for reasons I won't go into. Anyway, you grow up and things change a bit. I know you are younger than I. Baller was right about the ignorance although there are also good things to be found. I remember seeing what kind of people were suddenly "into hip-hop" once Eminem blew up. Strange. It hasn't changed much since. "Urban" lolol. Jack Harlow. Wow.
    Popular music in general has gotten worse, it's hardly exclusive to rap. Saying Mozart wrote better stuff than any rock band as if that's a fact is also pretty comical. Mozart certainly never even imagined music sounding the way Jimi Hendrix could concieve of it sounding. Few have even to this day to be fair.

Popular music in general has gotten worse, it's hardly exclusive to rap. Saying Mozart wrote better stuff than any rock band as if that's a fact is also pretty comical. Mozart certainly never even imagined music sounding the way Jimi Hendrix could concieve of it sounding. Few have even to this day to be fair.
    I wonder why...