Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The reason there aren't any "rivalries" in the NBA... zero emphasis on divisions

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    You could argue the NBA is already awarding mediocrity. More than half the league already makes the playoffs, which means middle of the road teams are going to be rewarded no matter what.

Also, the argument you just made about divisions could just as easily be applied to conferences. The eastern conference was the "leastern" conference for 20 years, and year after year you saw better western conference teams struggling to make the cut.

I say if you're not going to emphasize divisions whatsoever, then you may as well not even have them at all. But if you're going to to have them, then make them count and make them mean something. If lesser teams get rewarded because they're in a shittier division then so be it. If you want a top seed then win your effing division.

There have to be more stakes to these regular season games.
    I guess that's why they made the play-ins in the first place lmao.

Banned

Default Re: The reason there aren't any "rivalries" in the NBA... zero emphasis on divisions

You could argue the NBA is already awarding mediocrity. More than half the league already makes the playoffs, which means middle of the road teams are going to be rewarded no matter what.

Also, the argument you just made about divisions could just as easily be applied to conferences. The eastern conference was the "leastern" conference for 20 years, and year after year you saw better western conference teams struggling to make the cut.

I say if you're not going to emphasize divisions whatsoever, then you may as well not even have them at all. But if you're going to to have them, then make them count and make them mean something. If lesser teams get rewarded because they're in a shittier division then so be it. If you want a top seed then win your effing division.

There have to be more stakes to these regular season games.
    I agree. And the play-in nonsense contributes to it even more.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    I agree. And the play-in nonsense contributes to it even more.
    Theoretically if the three division winners were seeded 1-3 and then the next best team in each division were seeded 4-6, that would leave the last two spots up for grabs. Either keep the play-in or just designate them as "wild card" spots and give them to the best two records remaining in the conference.

This approach might also give more fanbases across the league hope going into the season. You're not competing against the entire conference anymore, you're just competing against 4 other teams. And all you have to do is be one of the two best teams in your division.

College superstar

They have moved on from socially engineering division amongst people through regional rivals and now prefer promoting globalism.

Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt View Post
    They have moved on from socially engineering division amongst people through regional rivals and now prefer promoting globalism.

Simple as that.
    I guess it makes sense when you consider the number of international talents these days.

In other sports like football, divisional rivalries and regional rivalries are a huge part of the game. There's always a different feeling in the air when you're playing a neighboring team or a division rival.

The NBA just doesn't have this. They pretend to have rivalries, but in reality they're all manufactured. By putting more emphasis on divisions, and having them play a larger role in both the schedule and the eventual playoff seeding, I think it would drive a lot more interest into the games.

I could already see Knicks-Sixers-Celtics being a huge deal. Also Lakers-Warriors-Suns.
    This is just nostalgia talking. Plenty of rivalries in the league.

College superstar

Regional rivalries are all bad. Being from California where North vs South is the longest running war in American history I’d say no more division.

Giants vs Dodgers is on some state politics violent shit. The NBA doesn’t need that.