Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default The reason there aren't any "rivalries" in the NBA... zero emphasis on divisions

In other sports like football, divisional rivalries and regional rivalries are a huge part of the game. There's always a different feeling in the air when you're playing a neighboring team or a division rival.

The NBA just doesn't have this. They pretend to have rivalries, but in reality they're all manufactured. By putting more emphasis on divisions, and having them play a larger role in both the schedule and the eventual playoff seeding, I think it would drive a lot more interest into the games.

I could already see Knicks-Sixers-Celtics being a huge deal. Also Lakers-Warriors-Suns.

Default Re: The reason there aren't any "rivalries" in the NBA... zero emphasis on divisions

They play a handful of games in football and that's how seeding is determined.
    Every NBA teams plays its division counterpart 4 times.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: The reason there aren't any "rivalries" in the NBA... zero emphasis on divisions

Divisions used to matter so much I remember banner hangings for division title wins from some of the poverty franchises. That said…rivalries died with player movement.

The players move around so much most of the league are friends and teams are battling the same group of guys vs another and developing hatred and a history of big plays and letdowns.

Friendly ass league and fans who can’t even get used to a core results in less passion from everyone.

A braindead retard considers the bulls/pistons to be one of the best rivalries in the league ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    A braindead retard considers the bulls/pistons to be one of the best rivalries in the league ever.
    Badboy pistons against the bulls were the most entertaining games to watch. I don't blame you for not knowing since your older siblings were still being swallowed.

^^Imagine being a bitter ass bitch like this sucker above me but at the same time, still can't stop following me.

Lol what a moron.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    They play a handful of games in football and that's how seeding is determined.
    Every NBA teams plays its division counterpart 4 times.
    Right but it has no baring on playoff seeding in the NBA, that's the problem. Knicks fans don't really have a reason to care more just because the Knicks are playing the Celtics. It's just 4 games out of 82. If you're including all division games, it's still just 16 out of 82. But if winning your division meant home court in the 1st round for example, now all of sudden those divisional games take on a whole new meaning.

I might even propose seeding the division winners 1-3 and then the 2nd place in each division from 4-6. Just a thought.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

The reason the NBA stopped guaranteeing a division winner a top 3 seed is that it rewards mediocrity. You should not give a 40+ win team the 2 seed while a 50+ win team is fourth. There could even be a team that's second in its division but doesn't have a top 8 conference record.

Rivalry is created by playoff series and there are a few of them in the NBA today. Celtics for example have rivalry with the Sixers Heart and Bucks. Knicks aren't as high on that list because they haven't been good enough for a while now. If they have series with the Celtics it could be a rivalry again.

Banned

Wow. ^This autistic idiot has no idea that the Bulls/Pistons was the second biggest rivalry in NBA history after the Lakers/Celtics.

Not suprised at all that he would have a retarded take though.

Lmao his bloody meltdowns have begun. What a triggered sore loser.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
    Badboy pistons against the bulls were the most entertaining games to watch. I don't blame you for not knowing since your older siblings were still being swallowed.
    True ---

I remember the 70's thru 80's Bucks won division after division , but could not get past 6ers' Celtics ...

Their gym still has those banners.

Banned

Lmao his bloody meltdowns have begun. What a triggered sore loser.
    Biatch having a bitch fit.

Autistic. And stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    The reason the NBA stopped guaranteeing a division winner a top 3 seed is that it rewards mediocrity. You should not give a 40+ win team the 2 seed while a 50+ win team is fourth. There could even be a team that's second in its division but doesn't have a top 8 conference record.

Rivalry is created by playoff series and there are a few of them in the NBA today. Celtics for example have rivalry with the Sixers Heart and Bucks. Knicks aren't as high on that list because they haven't been good enough for a while now. If they have series with the Celtics it could be a rivalry again.
    *Heat lol

I feel like the rivalry between the heat and the celtics has been the recent intense one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    In other sports like football, divisional rivalries and regional rivalries are a huge part of the game. There's always a different feeling in the air when you're playing a neighboring team or a division rival.

The NBA just doesn't have this. They pretend to have rivalries, but in reality they're all manufactured. By putting more emphasis on divisions, and having them play a larger role in both the schedule and the eventual playoff seeding, I think it would drive a lot more interest into the games.

I could already see Knicks-Sixers-Celtics being a huge deal. Also Lakers-Warriors-Suns.
    I feel like the Lakers/Grizzlies could turn into a legit rivalry. There was some bad blood between the two teams in the last playoffs, and Bronie fluffers for some reason HATE Ja Morant.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post

You could argue the NBA is already awarding mediocrity. More than half the league already makes the playoffs, which means middle of the road teams are going to be rewarded no matter what.

Also, the argument you just made about divisions could just as easily be applied to conferences. The eastern conference was the "leastern" conference for 20 years, and year after year you saw better western conference teams struggling to make the cut.

I say if you're not going to emphasize divisions whatsoever, then you may as well not even have them at all. But if you're going to to have them, then make them count and make them mean something. If lesser teams get rewarded because they're in a shittier division then so be it. If you want a top seed then win your effing division.

There have to be more stakes to these regular season games.
    Last edited by Baller234; 10-06-2023 at 09:35 PM.