Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Get outta there Ray….

They knew his power level wasn’t sufficient for that battle yet. He got an uncomfortable amount of that work personally.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Get outta there Ray….

He was a rookie or something up against the greatest ever still near his peak. Can't expect much success even from a talented athlete like Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    He was a rookie or something up against the greatest ever still near his peak. Can't expect much success even from a talented athlete like Allen.
    do we need to revisit the rules of “humbling” where, being at a disadvantage, doesn’t reduce your humbling, but increase it as you come to accept, you never had a chance and learn not to get out of your place?

I will post iron Sheik quotes if you make me. We will talk about breaking backs and making them humble.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    do we need to revisit the rules of “humbling” where, being at a disadvantage, doesn’t reduce your humbling, but increase it as you come to accept, you never had a chance and learn not to get out of your place?

I will post iron Sheik quotes if you make me. We will talk about breaking backs and making them humble.
    Did he promise to shut Jordan down or was he just given an assignment and accepted it? Can't compare it to the NBA experience but I would guises a lot of us have been tasked with guarding someone that was too big, athletic, or skilled for us to stop. To me he would be now deserving of derision of he was like, "oh no, I'm not guarding Jordan!" That attitude is much worse than being a rookie that takes on the challenge and yeah, he gets crushed.

Oh it’s certainly brave. This is another misunderstood aspect of being humbled. Both bravery and unfair odds contribute even more to the experience. having the confidence and bravery to think you can go with Michael Jordan, or in the original example, protect your back from being broken by the iron shiek…is the root of the humbling experience. You certainly aren’t a coward, or worthy of derision for your brave attempt. But you’re still lit up and your back is still broken.

You have been made humble. Which wouldn’t have been possible if you went in as a coward to begin with. Only the brave can be humbled. That’s why it’s better to have been humbled than to submit without struggle. Sure your back/game film is safe…but a ship in the port is safe. That isn’t what ships are made for.

A real man is going to get humbled by the world now and then. Only a coward remains un humbled because cowards don’t put themselves in position to find out where they really stand.

The humble man, after recovering from his broken back, stands higher in society than a healthy backed coward.

It’s complicated in ways.