Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How do you feel about the often repeated claim that athletics are for children?

If a public servant like a firefighter or public school teacher said it I think they'd have more of a point. But if it was someone not directly tied to an essential service, it's more likely to be jealously as you alluded to. A social media manager at a digital marketing agency isn't someone who should feel above an athlete.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: How do you feel about the often repeated claim that athletics are for children?

Op, Anyone who comes through with that take is a dipshit who obviously never participated in sports or they tried and just were bad and failed.

There are so many positive things about sports for kids growing up and then carrying it on to adulthood. Not going to even go into it in detail about it right now, but sports is life.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Op, Anyone who comes through with that take is a dipshit who obviously never participated in sports or they tried and just were bad and failed.

There are so many positive things about sports for kids growing up and then carrying it on to adulthood. Not going to even go into it in detail about it right now, but sports is life.

Whole lot of this

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    Consciousness isn’t an on or off thing. There are levels to it. And people arrive at different levels of it at vastly varying ages if they ever arrive at all.

Just a cop out to me. Children can be excused for acting like children. A 40 year old acting like a child…is not a child. He’s a grown man who would do society a favor by falling into a wheat thresher.

College superstar

How many adults do you know who actually play ORGANIZED TEAM SPORTS?

Not pick up games, not solo sports like golf, bowling, boxing, or surfing, but real team sports played using real facilities in an organized fashion with real referees and shit?

And out of all those people you know who have a work softball team how many are actually competitive and give a shit? Lmao.

Not pick up games, not solo sports like golf, bowling, boxing, or surfing, but real team sports played using real facilities in an organized fashion with real referees and shit?

You realize all the things you said “not” to are athletics right?

There are probably more adults playing some kinda sport than children even though they aren’t playing high school football.

There are more than 30 million people who play pickle ball in America and there are only 70 million kids and most don’t play sports.

Adults in sports probably lap kids a couple times.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Run into this allot as someone that's still skateboards and plays basketball in their 30's. I've noticed the people that ask me about growing up are often potato shaped individuals who spend their time watching the latest show on Netflix and are usually offended when I ask them their 1 mile run time

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    You realize all the things you said “not” to are athletics right?

There are probably more adults playing some kinda sport than children even though they aren’t playing high school football.

There are more than 30 million people who play pickle ball in America and there are only 70 million kids and most don’t play sports.

Adults in sports probably lap kids a couple times.

No one is tripping on athletics.

It’s the children game part.

Which is team sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt View Post
    No one is tripping on athletics.

It’s the children game part.

Which is team sports.
    You’d be surprised. All school(including college) kids playing ball combined aren’t enough to match the number of adult basketball players in America. It’s basketball regardless of the specific setup. The first games were 9 on 9. 3 on 3 is in the Olympics now.

Most basketball games are not high school or college.

College superstar

No one cares if average adults play sports or work out. Lmao.

The “childrens game” comment is almost 100 percent made in regards to professional athletes playing team sports and making tons of money.

Is it right? IDK.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    I was trying to say that I think that people under 30 are children, generally speaking. Obviously it's different for everyone and some people grow up super early but I think today's American experience is that of someone not being an adult until they're 30. A man's brain doesn't even finish forming until 25 or something.
    100% agree. I think it checks out too. I thought many of the same things. Is maturity really just like you said, losing a zest for life. Things don’t get you as excited and entertained as they used to. I too, am considerably less invested in sports, even from a viewership standpoint as I was in my 20s. Obviously, I still like them and enjoy them but it’s not like appointment viewing all the time or obsessing like it used to be.

College superstar

I would actually like to see the numbers.

Which age range plays sports more regularly?

5-25 vs 26-46?

5-25 vs 26-46?
    Is gold and now pickle ball included? That might make it competitive

5-25 vs 26-46?

more regularly has to be children. They go to school and have recess. Total number is adults, because there are so many more adults than children in the age range to be playing sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Whole lot of this

It’s accurate though