Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Jordan is the first athlete to make the Forbes 400 richest Americans.

He’s at 3 billion. Which sounds about right. But it put into perspective how many billionaires there are. I assumed he had been there for years. He’s only number 379. In the early 80s there were like 12 billionaires in America. Now 3 billion doesn’t even get you into the double digits. You need 8.5 to get to number 99 and 10 billion only gets you to number 72. Just in America. There are over 3000 worldwide.

Even MJ and Lebron types are broke boys at a Bilderberg conference. Probably make Jordan be the cup bearer pouring wine at the meetings. Maybe do a little photoshoot or something as they fan boy a bit and send him out of the room to talk real business.

Shit is wild how far you can rise and not approach the top. And for the record, I’m the furthest thing from one of those “Billionaires should not exist” people who don’t realize or care that the only way to prevent someone from becoming a billionaire off their hypothetical value is to have the government seize control of companies or downright put them out of business and rob the founder at a certain level of success while not allowing portions of them to be sold.

Its obviously gonna require government overreach if not downright tyranny. So I’m not against the idea of people being “allowed” to be so rich. I’m just saying….it feeeeeels like Jordan shouldnt be scraping the bottom of these lists with the way we perceive his wealth.

Hes barely on the board. Hell of a board of course so let’s not flip it into me not being impressed or feeling bad for low end billionaires or anything foolish. Just saying…the board is bigger than I would have imagined without thinking it through.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Jordan is the first athlete to make the Forbes 400 richest Americans.

MJ has way better genetics and a greater legacy then any of those guys. Everyone on that list when hooked up to a lie detector would switch places with him in a second

He won

Default Re: Jordan is the first athlete to make the Forbes 400 richest Americans.

Well, everyone here would recognize a picture of Babe Ruth, but very few would recognize Andrew Carnegie, who was worth the modern equivalent of like $350 billion and was alive at the same time so yes it’s likely he has the greater legacy.

But I don’t know how all of them would look at it. I don’t know how he looks at it either. For a competition addict you can’t just stop competing when you get too old to be a pro athlete. I bet he’d be annoyed if some tycoon told him he could lose his whole life’s earnings and not notice. Guy competes at everything. I don’t imagine he’d take well to being “little bro”d financially even though it would be ridiculous to all of us.

Luckily I’m sure he is treated with reverence. people that rich still show a lot of admiration for athletes and musicians and such. I don’t imagine he gets disrespected in any company.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Well, everyone here would recognize a picture of Babe Ruth, but very few would recognize Andrew Carnegie, who was worth the modern equivalent of like $350 billion and was alive at the same time so yes it’s likely he has the greater legacy.

But I don’t know how all of them would look at it. I don’t know how he looks at it either. For a competition addict you can’t just stop competing when you get too old to be a pro athlete. I bet he’d be annoyed if some tycoon told him he could lose his whole life’s earnings and not notice. Guy competes at everything. I don’t imagine he’d take well to being “little bro”d financially even though it would be ridiculous to all of us.

Luckily I’m sure he is treated with reverence. people that rich still show a lot of admiration for athletes and musicians and such. I don’t imagine he gets disrespected in any company.
    If it really came down to it he would just beat the shit out of the guy trying to disrespect

Game over

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    If it really came down to it he would just beat the shit out of the guy trying to disrespect

Game over
    Im sure their disrespect would be more in crude remarks and rude glances. I don’t think anyone disrespects him directly.

That said…

Much money you think would have to be on the line before Jordan will back out of a bet for purely financial reasons if they are trying to lil bro him? Let’s say he somehow gained entry into one of these bilderberg or Rothschild meet ups of world financial powers. Dinner has been served, and everyone has already had the secret life extending drinks made of honeysuckle nectar from vines hydroponically grown with the blood of virgins and tears of the innocent. It’s leisure time now.

Bezos and dude who owns all those luxury brands have a keeper fantasy league with a 100 million buy in and a billion to the winner yearly.

Offered a spot…would MJ pay the hundred million?

I….feel like he might.

how much money you think would have to be on the line before Jordan will back out of a bit for purely financial reasons? Let’s say he somehow gained entry into one of these bilderberg or Rothschild meet ups of world financial powers. Dinner has been served, and everyone has already had the secret life extending drinks made of honeysuckle nectar from vines hydroponically grown with the blood of virgins and tears of the innocent. It’s leisure time now.

Bezos and dude who owns all those luxury brands have a keeper fantasy league with a 100 million buy in and a billion to the winner yearly.

Offered a spot…would MJ pay the hundred million?

I….feel like he might.
    He would say yes with no flinch. The question would be if he would be thinking “ohhhhhh shit what am I getting into” while doing it.

I agree. I don’t think his pride would let him show that he cared about that much money when they don’t. I’m just imagining how competitive he will be trying to win that league. Hed probably have some obsessive type he has connections to at ESPN, run it for him. I bet Jeff Bezos would let a $100 million fantasy league auto draft for him. Just doesn’t give a ****. Would be forgetting to take dudes out on a bye and all. Someone really dedicated moght destroy that league.

I agree. I don’t think his pride would let him show that he cared about that much money when they don’t. I’m just imagining how competitive he will be trying to win that league. Hed probably have some obsessive type he has connections to at ESPN, run it for him. I bet Jeff Bezos would let a $100 million fantasy league auto draft for him. Just doesn’t give a ****. Would be forgetting to take dudes out on a bye and all. Someone really dedicated moght destroy that league.
    Im thinking they all end up saying **** it I don’t got time for this shit and hire some dude for a few hundred k to manage their team for the season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

That's pretty insane when you figure nobody could name 90% of the guys above him. It's like a shadow wealth power network going on.

Good High School Starter

He’s at 3 billion. Which sounds about right. But it put into perspective how many billionaires there are. I assumed he had been there for years. He’s only number 379. In the early 80s there were like 12 billionaires in America. Now 3 billion doesn’t even get you into the double digits.
    In 1980 numbers that's about 800 million or something.

Shit is wild how far you can rise and not approach the top.
    $3 billion is the top. If you want to split hairs and compare him to Bezos or Musk or something, I mean whatever.

$3 billion is more wealth than precisely 99.999999999% of human beings that have ever lived have ever had, adjusting for inflation and or relative to the time. Out of the 100 billion people that have ever lived he's somewhere in the top 50 thousand if I had to guess.

And when he dies, it'll most likely all be gone within 1-2 generations.

I read somewhere that he makes roughly 250-300 million each year from Nike with his Jordan brand and that's only 5% of the total sales, which is his cut. It's absurd to think that he's making nearly 3x more in 1 year with Nike than he did throughout his entire 15 year NBA career.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A. View Post
    I read somewhere that he makes roughly 250-300 million each year from Nike with his Jordan brand and that's only 5% of the total sales, which is his cut. It's absurd to think that he's making nearly 3x more in 1 year with Nike than he did throughout his entire 15 year NBA career.
    He always made less playing basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Wardell Curry View Post
    In 1980 numbers that's about 800 million or something.

$3 billion is the top. If you want to split hairs and compare him to Bezos or Musk or something, I mean whatever.

$3 billion is more wealth than precisely 99.999999999% of human beings that have ever lived have ever had, adjusting for inflation and or relative to the time. Out of the 100 billion people that have ever lived he's somewhere in the top 50 thousand if I had to guess.

And when he dies, it'll most likely all be gone within 1-2 generations.

It’s not splitting hairs to say that you aren’t at the top of the list of 400 when you’re number 300 and something. Nobody is comparing him to a Cameroonian gatherer from 5800 BC. I’m not talking about all the people that I’ve ever existed in the world. I’m sure any decently well off American is wealthier than the extreme majority of people who ever lived. I’m just talking about how crazy it is that you can be a millionaire 3000 times over and there are people who would get absolutely clowned by the public If somehow they woke up tomorrow only having that amount left.

if Zuckerberg woke up with Jordan money, it would be the top story in America.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    That's pretty insane when you figure nobody could name 90% of the guys above him. It's like a shadow wealth power network going on.
    Thomas Frist has 22 billion. Never heard of him.

people always talk about team ownership like they’re such a small club of people who can afford to get in the game but considering that they do it with ownership groups? There are thousands of people with sports owner money. And they keep driving up the values because there will always be some asshole down to drop 6 billion.

MJ was an employee. Money comes from the top. MJ did a lot, but people still put him on at every turn. I ain't trying to turn shit racial (tho I guess this thread kinda has that undertone,) but I really wish they'd let black people have more of a part in owning the shit they are so vital to like all their music, all the mostly black sports. That's how wealth is actually created. If there is some shadow white (or whatever race) guy at the top, there are always gonna be 1000 people richer than them.

-Smak