Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let's discuss some rarely mentioned Hall of Famers

I've come up with 3-man lineups of G-F-C starting in the 1950s of forgotten Hall of Famers. Some of the later guys are discussed but the guys from the 50s thru the 80s, not so much. And the later guys I feel will be forgotten. Like Tony Parker and Chris Bosh.

1950s
    C Clyde Lovellette
    F Maurice Stokes
    G Bob Davies

1960s
    C Zelmo Beaty
    F Bailey Howell
    G Richie Guerren

1970s
    C Bob Lanier
    F Chet Walker
    G Jo Jo White

1980s
    C Jack Sikma
    F Alex English
    G Sidney Moncrief

1990s
    C Alonzo Mourning
    F Chris Mullin
    G Tim Hardaway

2000s
    C Yao Ming
    F Chris Bosh
    G Tony Parker

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: Let's discuss some rarely mentioned Hall of Famers

Bosh has always been low key underrated. He was a beast.

Ye Bosh is underrated. I've been looking at some of his stats in Miami.

2011-2014 Regular Seasons - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 19.4 pts/75 on 58.3 %TS
    Lebron OFF: 23.0 pts/75 on 55.0 %TS

Wade ON: 18.8 pts/75 on 56.3 %TS
    Wade OFF: 23.2 pts/75 on 60.1 %TS

2011-2014 Playoffs - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 17.3 pts/75 on 55.2 %TS
    Lebron OFF: 21.8 pts/75 on 59.6 %TS

Wade ON: 17.6 pts/75 on 55.1 %TS
    Wade OFF: 19.3 pts/75 on 60.0 %TS

You can see that when either Lebron or Wade stepped off the court Bosh's scoring rate went up a lot. And surprisingly his efficiency went up in the playoffs when those guys sat which you don't expect.

He sacrificed a ton on offense and became a 3rd option but he never complained and became arguably their main defensive piece.
    Last edited by dankok8; 10-03-2023 at 12:54 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I see my numbers weren’t that far off on Bosh but I obviously had no way of knowing he’d be a third option by then:

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I see my numbers weren’t that far off on Bosh but I obviously had no way of knowing he’d be a third option by then:

Damn.

Another thing I liked about Bosh, he is hilarious. How he isn't on TNT or ESPN is absurd.

I'm not sure how good someone like Zelmo Beaty is. He played center in an NBA that included Russell, Wilt, Reed and Bellamy.
    I wonder who is a similar player.

Bob Lanier was really really good. Gets totally overlooked in all-time great C discussions.

Sikma was also decent. He got destroyed by both Kareem and Moses at times but he did everything pretty well.

Reed and Lanier were both better shooters with better touch than people assume to look at them these days.

Bosh had one of the sickest face-up games ever. He led the league in post-up PPP one year; 2009-2010 I believe. 1.09 PPP. He's got to be right up there for the best ever regarding that specific skill. Garnett was pretty good but didn't have the same quick first step to blow by guys. I suppose Hakeem, D-Rob, Amar'e, and Dirk are the top contenders.

Damn it's been years since I've even read a few of those names. I'm gonna start with someone recent and work backwards. Yao. I got to see him up close here, he was good with potential to be great if he could have been a bit more durable. He was able to hold his own with Prime Shaq at times. But his size was just too much for his bone structure I guess. Soft touch on his jumper to be so big and plodding, kinda Ilguaskas- like in that department but with a much better back to the basket game. He could do no wrong here within the organization and tmac took the brunt of his blame for the teams fortunes and Francis becore him got the boot for not playing as well with Yao as he should have. I was able to see him and Tmac live quite a bit during that era and watching Yao run up the floor made MY feet hurt lol. The most disappointing thing was we were good enough to make the finals during that run but never healthy enough.

I’m reading old ass topics and at one point I said I was out on both Bosh and Jermaine O’Neal but I liked Jermaine more. Which is weird because I didn’t really **** with Jermaine at all by the time Bosh was a somebody. I’m trying to remember exactly when I stopped being impressed because I think I briefly was early.

I found an old topic about him where I had a list of 22 people I’d rather have and a bunch of people I’d call a tossup that stretched to 28. I think the 07 playoffs was when I was done with him apparently forever though I don’t remember specifics about it right now. I see he had shit numbers that year but whatever I saw must have turned my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Bosh had one of the sickest face-up games ever. He led the league in post-up PPP one year; 2009-2010 I believe. 1.09 PPP. He's got to be right up there for the best ever regarding that specific skill. Garnett was pretty good but didn't have the same quick first step to blow by guys. I suppose Hakeem, D-Rob, Amar'e, and Dirk are the top contenders.

The legendary Chuck Swirsky with his commentaries too.

My favorite was "Get that salami and cheese mama cuz this ball game is over!"

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Ye Bosh is underrated. I've been looking at some of his stats in Miami.

2011-2014 Regular Seasons - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 19.4 pts/75 on 58.3 %TS
    Lebron OFF: 23.0 pts/75 on 55.0 %TS

Wade ON: 18.8 pts/75 on 56.3 %TS
    Wade OFF: 23.2 pts/75 on 60.1 %TS

2011-2014 Playoffs - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 17.3 pts/75 on 55.2 %TS
    Lebron OFF: 21.8 pts/75 on 59.6 %TS

Wade ON: 17.6 pts/75 on 55.1 %TS
    Wade OFF: 19.3 pts/75 on 60.0 %TS

You can see that when either Lebron or Wade stepped off the court Bosh's scoring rate went up a lot. And surprisingly his efficiency went up in the playoffs when those guys sat which you don't expect.

He sacrificed a ton on offense and became a 3rd option but he never complained and became arguably their main defensive piece.

Yea that's not surprising since Bosh was used like a role player to space the floor for Lebron and Wade instead of utilizing his elite face up midrange game.

From what I recall Bosh didn't handle physicality all that well. Not in Toronto or Miami. Dwight averaged like 18 rebounds per game in the 2008 1st round TOR-ORL matchup. Roy Hibbert put up like 23/12 in the 2013 ECF which is saying something.

That 2013 Miami team was one of only four NBA champions to have been outrebounded on average. There was one of the '70s Knicks teams and both '90s Houston teams I believe. However, Miami was by far the worst rebounding team of those four; they were literally the worst rebounding team in the league. Dead last.

Bosh just wasn't a center. More like a PF that had strong SF tendencies.