Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: I want the gotdamn truth. Do you know who this is?

Somehow, when you said Cam Johnson, my first thought was Mikal Bridges and I was thinking sucks for him to sign for that little before he broke out. I pretty quickly realized my mistake and checked and he actually signed for less than both of them. Bridges is on a four year $90 million deal. He has to be the best bargain in the league.

Yeah but I didn't know he's actually good lol

Is he going to lift the spurs out of the lottery later?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

San Antonio just signed 2020 #11 overall pick Devin Vassell to a 5-year $146M extension. Assuming max annual increases, that means Y1 of his extension would start ~17.5% of the cap and have him earning ~16.5% of the cap in 28/29 when he’s in his prime at 28-years-old. Comparing this to other recent signings, I have this slightly below his market value. I see this as a win for the Spurs, but a Player Option in Y5 would change my stance to more of a win-win. Y1 salaries of recent signings: – Jordan Poole: 20% – Tyler Herro: 20% – Cam Johnson: 19% – Anfernee Simons: 18% – RJ Barrett: 17.5%

– via Twitter AnilGognaNBA

below market value. There's no options

Facts Are Misleading

Below market value? Who else is paying him 150 on the open market? Nobody. Especially with this severe penalty for teams in the tax via new CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Below market value? Who else is paying him 150 on the open market? Nobody. Especially with this severe penalty for teams in the tax via new CBA
    if his stats continue to go up every year than yes when he hit free agency next summer someone would pay him even more. That's why they give him the money now. He takes it now in case of injury. 23 year old that have put up those numbers don't grow on trees

Facts Are Misleading

You can value him based off numbers if you choose.

This is the NBA. Someone has to score 20 points, even the worst teams. Someone has to get assists. Someone has to get rebounds.

Doesn't mean they're actually worthy of pay days like this. He put up better numbers than Andrew Wiggins on GS. They're not even close as players.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

What is 18/4/4 or whatever it was in the pace of the old spurs? Like say…99-03 spurs. At that pace…is this Derek Anderson production? Todays extra possessions make it hard to set the standards all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    What is 18/4/4 or whatever it was in the pace of the old spurs? Like say…99-03 spurs. At that pace…is this Derek Anderson production? Todays extra possessions make it hard to set the standards all over again.
    I very much doubt he’d score 18 on a good team. At least the version of him we have seen thus far.

You can value him based off numbers if you choose.

This is the NBA. Someone has to score 20 points, even the worst teams. Someone has to get assists. Someone has to get rebounds.

Doesn't mean they're actually worthy of pay days like this. He put up better numbers than Andrew Wiggins on GS. They're not even close as players.
    I'm not valuing him at anything. The market is setting his value based on upside. You don't get why a 23 year old is more valuable than a 27 year old. Wasting my time here

What do those stats even mean when they were one of the worst teams in the league?
    He plays defense too though, and Pop doesn't let them get out of control even if they're bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    you're never sure. He could get hurt and insurance kicks in. He's been getting significantly better for 3 years and put up nice numbers last year. You pay him. You'll have guys on good contracts so you can sign vets if and when Wemby is ready to lead them somewhere
    This is the mindset why teams like the Jazz are perpetual losers. Maxing out role players.

The guy has played 2 mediocre seasons and half of a good season. We can all confidently assert that there's little to no chance he earns the supermax requirements for $260M. So that means his max would potentially be $207M.

There's 3 potential outcomes:
    1) He absolutely plays out of his mind this season, and you'd instead be on the hook for likely paying him a max of $207M instead $146M. You saved $51M signing him now.

2) He plays no better than he did last year. I'd estimate he'd get a similar contract to what he's currently making. Not sure teams that will have $29M in cap space sink it into an offer sheet for days.

3) He plays worse or gets injured, or has terrible chemistry with Wemby no chance he makes $146M.

Which is likeliest? I'd say 2 or 3. Meaning they didn't get any extra value signing him now.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted View Post
    This is the mindset why teams like the Jazz are perpetual losers. Maxing out role players.

The guy has played 2 mediocre seasons and half of a good season. We can all confidently assert that there's little to no chance he earns the supermax requirements for $260M. So that means his max would potentially be $207M.

There's 3 potential outcomes:
    1) He absolutely plays out of his mind this season, and you'd instead be on the hook for likely paying him a max of $207M instead $146M. You saved $51M signing him now.

2) He plays no better than he did last year. I'd estimate he'd get a similar contract to what he's currently making. Not sure teams that will have $29M in cap space sink it into an offer sheet for days.

3) He plays worse or gets injured, or has terrible chemistry with Wemby no chance he makes $146M.

Which is likeliest? I'd say 2 or 3. Meaning they didn't get any extra value signing him now.
    It's far from max. That's why they did it. Jazz got Lauri, Agbaji, Sexton and a bunch of picks for their maxed out role player. Not sure who else you could be talking about? Jazz have had fewer losing seasons than most too.

He's 23. Has gotten much better every season. A scorer/shooter/playmaker that supposedly plays D too. It will be a great contract in 5 years. It's only 135 mill guaranteed. He could get hurt as anyone can. Getting worse doesn't appear likely unless he's one of those that stops working after he gets paid. The Spurs have seen him every day for the past 3 years so I'd guess they think he will keep working and getting better. They have a better track record than most the past quarter century. They're paying for upside. That's what you do. Having 51 million to pay someone else is a good thing no?

Anil Gogna: DEVIN VASSELL’S INCENTIVE DETAILS: Base Salary: $135M Unlikely Bonuses: $11M ~8% per year of Base Salary. YY1: $2.4M • $543K: Top 15 in Reg Season 3PM • $543K: FTA/FGA >=0.25 • $543K: Per 36 Blks >= 0.9 • $543K: Rd 2, plays 75% of playoff gms • $217K: Make an All-NBA team Y2: $2.2M Y3: $2.2M Y4: $2.0M Y5: $2.2M
    – via Twitter AnilGognaNBA

He was a top 90 ish player last season. Maybe he can become top 50 this season.