Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Does Deandre Ayton have another level? What's his potential in Portland?

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Fair enough. I think he'll average a little more this upcoming season by virtue of having a slightly larger role. I'm thinking 20-22 ppg. Obviously, it doesn't mean he's any better, just that he's getting more shots.
    you're assuming their guards are going to give up the ball

Default Re: Does Deandre Ayton have another level? What's his potential in Portland?

He's going to be greg monroe 2.0

Dudes going to put up good numbers playing for a team that has given him the green light for trade value.

He is not part of a rebuild, he is a trading piece at this point unless he proves otherwise.

Guards are harder to draft these days and they take time to develop. Ayton's at 25 already...

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

This is a problem with too many of the Sean Miller Arizona players to be a coincidence. Not a question about the talent but they are so far behind their peers in development when they leave for the NBA.

Coming into the NBA his defense at the 5 was an assumption based off him being a ++ athlete at his size. He played the 4 in college and the only thing he was good at was finishing when he was drafted. To his credit he is coachable. He plays disciplined.

the Suns didn't want the 1st pick in the draft to succeed?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    the Suns didn't want the 1st pick in the draft to succeed?
    A loser at heart pure and simple.

I found this post on a Suns board and it is the truest shit I've ever read about him:

100%. I think people are gonna be surprised when he averages 22/10 on good efficiency, but they won’t realize it’s all the other things that make him a losing player.

He averages 10 boards a game, but when you actually watch the games you realize he could easily average ~13 per game if he put in more effort. He’s terrible at grabbing contested rebounds and generally his rebounds feel extremely “empty”.

He’s also a pretty good scorer for a C, has a great post hook and a solid middy. BUT, nothing is more frustrating than watching your 7’0 center with a 40 inch vert refuse to dunk the ball. I’ve literally never seen such a big, athletic guy that just doesn’t dunk the ball. Consistently settles for ~5 foot touch shots when he could just take a step and slam it.

That plays into the next thing, he avoids contact by all means. Whether it’s rebounding, screening, posting up, driving, or defending, he is ALLERGIC to creating any contact. He sets soft screens (for a 7 footer), he gets pushed around on the boards, and almost NEVER gets FTs.

The guy is genuinely talented asf, but he’s such an “empty” player. He sleepwalks to 16/10 which is why it hurts even more that he’s just not actually that good. If he had the mindset of Shaq, or Barkley, or Amare Stoudamire, he’d legitimately be an MVP type player, but he just doesn’t. He’s gonna put in enough effort to get paid and get good stats, but he’s just not a winner.
    I wanted Phoenix to succeed as a new, interesting, organic young team. Bridges is among the best role players ever IMO. Booker is a pure winner who gets better every year. And better as the season gets longer.

Ayton is the softest big man I have ever seen. Hands down. Low FTR, league-worst in boxing out, no screen game, no strength in his low-post moves, and doesn't DUNK. What kind of 7'0" 260, no body fat beast doesn't dunk and would rather use the glass or float it in?

Quote Originally Posted by 999Guy View Post
    A loser at heart pure and simple.

I found this post on a Suns board and it is the truest shit I've ever read about him:

I wanted Phoenix to succeed as a new, interesting, organic young team. Bridges is among the best role players ever IMO. Booker is a pure winner who gets better every year. And better as the season gets longer.

Ayton is the softest big man I have ever seen. Hands down. Low FTR, league-worst in boxing out, no screen game, no strength in his low-post moves, and doesn't DUNK. What kind of 7'0" 260, no body fat beast doesn't dunk and would rather use the glass or float it in?
    He was drafted #1 for a reason. He should be one of the best bigs. He's not. That's on him

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Maybe his potential is something of a more pick-and-roll-oriented LaMarcus Aldridge. Or a diet Joel Embiid. He could feast with that close-in mid-range game like both those guys did/do. From the free-throw line region.
    Probably but it's hinted that he'll play more like a traditional big. Would be interesting to see how he'd mesh with brogdon.