Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default For his sake, I hope it was only a photo shoot, and an unaccompanied walk around…..

….. because there is absolutely nothing to see or do at the Alamo.

Default Re: For his sake, I hope it was only a photo shoot, and an unaccompanied walk around…

First of all, it’s smaller than you would believe. When you walk in it feels like it has to be a much scaled down replica made to fit the tiny confines of the area as a tourist trap. But it isn’t. That’s the whole thing. The Ripleys museum across the street and its terrible theater show is much more entertaining. As is the entirety of the Riverwalk. I’d rather sit and watch the ducks in the river walk than ever set foot or have to look at the Alamo again.

****ing 104°. It’s probably the most disappointing historical place I’ve ever been. But I suppose he has to mark it off the list as the new face of San Antonio sports. I’m sure he’ll have a photo shoot atop the big tower with the spinning restaurant. I went to that too while I was there. Also a much better attraction than the Alamo, though the prime rib taste like nothing.

if he genuinely enjoys such things, he might be just the type of excellent lame/square that city desires. I hope it all works out for him because he is about two off shooting games from being the most criticized person in sports when we probably won’t know what he has for three years.

He plays next week though. Maybe the only preseason game I’ll put time aside for. I did that when Kwame came out. Hopefully it goes differently.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: For his sake, I hope it was only a photo shoot, and an unaccompanied walk around…

this might very well be the most awkward photo ever

impressive

ty for the review btw, I don’t ever see myself being there but who knows? at least i know that’s some miss me type of shit

I do have to say the description of it being very small adds to the legend though

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    this might very well be the most awkward photo ever

impressive

ty for the review btw, I don’t ever see myself being there but who knows? at least i know that’s some miss me type of shit

I do have to say the description of it being very small adds to the legend though

I respect the legend, and what happened and all that it’s just a let down when you realize what it is in reality. Not like it was supposed to be glamorous or anything in its purpose. But nothing is built up or really great to see. And all the people look like those two whatever’s standing with him, or the two old people behind them.

Other than the people working there I’m sure locals completely avoid it. Kind of like New Yorkers and the Statue of Liberty. Except the Statue of Liberty is impressive up close the first time you see it.

The entire Alamo feels like it would be the courtyard leading into the actual Alamo. It feels like a place to gather a tour group and talk about the Alamo before you walk in and see something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    First of all, it’s smaller than you would believe. When you walk in it feels like it has to be a much scaled down replica made to fit the tiny confines of the area as a tourist trap. But it isn’t. That’s the whole thing. The Ripleys museum across the street and its terrible theater show is much more entertaining. As is the entirety of the Riverwalk. I’d rather sit and watch the ducks in the river walk than ever set foot or have to look at the Alamo again.

****ing 104°. It’s probably the most disappointing historical place I’ve ever been. But I suppose he has to mark it off the list as the new face of San Antonio sports. I’m sure he’ll have a photo shoot atop the big tower with the spinning restaurant. I went to that too while I was there. Also a much better attraction than the Alamo, though the prime rib taste like nothing.

if he genuinely enjoys such things, he might be just the type of excellent lame/square that city desires. I hope it all works out for him because he is about two off shooting games from being the most criticized person in sports when we probably won’t know what he has for three years.

He plays next week though. Maybe the only preseason game I’ll put time aside for. I did that when Kwame came out. Hopefully it goes differently.
    You seem like the kinda guy who would rather spend his money at Dave and Busters rather than educate himself by visiting historical sites, a true philistine.

Caring about history is why I knew the story and the history before I got there. All being there taught me is that it’s marginally larger than my deck. You look into it you’ll find they’ve been trying to figure out how to make the whole presentation more impressive because people have been showing up and being utterly disappointed forever. At least since General Santa Anna. I understand he had a great time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post

Yeah, the Riverwalk is the place to be in down town SA, but the Alamo is one of those things you have to go see once when you're out there. It's walking distance from the Riverwalk, and its historical significance alone makes it worth going to.

Well, yeah, you have to go which is why I went. I was staying in the Crockett hotel down the street so I wasn’t gonna just ignore the signs for the Alamo around the corner. You do it because you kinda have to. I’d go see Plymouth Rock if I were just outside Boston too but it is what it is:

I aways ony see the Alamo from the front, whats behind there? Or is it just like a wall?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I hope the deputy told him hit the weights buddy.

It’s like an old walled church. It’s about the size of two dollar stores put together built of old stone. Couple walkways and a wall outside around the grounds. I assume some has fallen down with time. There are some plaques and glass cases of stuff to see but unless you’re with a tour guide talking 10 minutes at each thing you see it all in about 3-5 minutes.

i've never seen anything more out of place in a picture before...well, aside from the wooden table in warriorfan's living room:

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    i've never seen anything more out of place in a picture before...well, aside from the wooden table in warriorfan's living room:

College superstar

What man made American landmark actually does live up to the hype and is impressive though?

Empire State Building? Golden Gate Bridge? Hoover Damn? Mount Rushmore? Washington DC? Gettysburg?

All of its wack from a 2023 perspective where we have already seen everything on the internet.

Not much man-made, but a lot of natural things in America live up to the hype. The giant redwoods. The Grand Canyon. I was amazed the first time I looked down into a valley off a cliffs edge in Tennessee and clouds were rolling like CGI or a giant fog machine. I’d forgotten it was the smoky mountains. Just about everything still standing in America is pretty recent. About the oldest things you find when you’re in the old section of cities like New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, Virginia, and so on and it’s different architecture. One thing I’ve noticed around places like that is signs pointing out that because some building is 250 years old the steps that are carved are not handicap accessible so you have to take a different route.

You’ll bust your ass going down the steps on the riverfront in Savannah. All cut different sizes and they’re too steep.

Thats about as different as old shit in America gets.