NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Lightbulb Warriors should try to trade Chris Paul for Jrue Holiday

The Warriors are too old and have been slipping on defense. The warriors are famous for their dynamic offense but whenever they have won it all it’s because they had a top tier defense as well. Chris Paul isn’t going to help this. Warriors need more size, youth, and athleticism. More defense.

Jrue would be a much better fit. Klay’s perimeter defense was slowly fading with age and after his catastrophic injuries it’s not there anymore. Having Jrue would replenish the perimeter defense lost from Klay’s decline. Jrue has had some offensive woes in the playoffs efficiency wise, but that is the great thing about him playing with the GSW offense, it can put not the best offensive players in situations where they can score efficiently. Jrue can find buckets in transition and get nice open cuts to the hoop. I wouldn’t mind him taking corner 3’s. He basically doesn’t have to create his own offense very often which will improve his scoring efficiency.

With GPII back and healthy (he wasn’t right last year when he came back), Wiggins not leaving for months in the middle of the season, and Jrue holiday….That is some pretty savage perimeter defense. The Warriors now have a top defense in the league again.

Warriors offer

+2 first round picks

Lots of fans are still big on Kuminga and I personally never wanted to let him go myself. He’s a physical freak and has a high ceiling. He could very well end up being an elite defender and a guy who can get to the rim whenever he wants too on offense. The problem is he’s just not ready yet. He wasn’t playable in the playoffs last season as the Warriors were fizzling out vs the Lakers. If Kerr won’t give him any burn while they desperately need a body out there in that situation it’s telling. He doesn’t fully grasp the offense yet and needs to make better decisions. He’s not playing winning basketball a lot of the times right now. He’s still extremely young though and has time to continue to figure things out. The problem is the warriors don’t have time. The warriors screwed the pooch with the “two timelines” strategy as they drafted Jonathan Kuminga and James Wiseman. It’s hard enough to keep one window open in the nba, to try to juggle two simultaneously is just not realistic and a waste. Warriors need to abandon the “second window” and go all in until Steph, Klay, and Dray are finally done. Once that comes to be they can start from scratch and go from there.

The only problem I see with this from the Blazer’s side is Kuminga doesn’t have very much time left on his contract so he could potentially just walk. That’s why I added 2 draft picks into the trade. Blazers could also find some poor team willing to get fooled on Chris Paul one more time and get something for him too.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Warriors should try to trade Chris Paul for Jrue Holiday

Pretty much every contender should try to trade for Holiday but it feels like the warriors have no more to offer than virtually every team in the league considering the blazers get back another hassle to have to trade to a contender on return. They just swap the Holiday issue for a Paul one and add a pick or two when they could as easily get no returning issues and similar picks.

Good college starter

It's the more cold-blooded move. At this stage though it would entail a pretty big course correction and I've decided already that want to see how Chris Paul and the Warriors will look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    Pretty much every contender should try to trade for Holiday but it feels like the warriors have no more to offer than virtually every team in the league considering the blazers get back another hassle to have to trade to a contender on return. They just swap the Holiday issue for a Paul one and add a pick or two when they could as easily get no returning issues and similar picks.
    It’s not the greatest deal for the Blazers but it certainly isn’t bad. They want young developing talent right now and that’s what JK is. They want more picks and they get that. The big question mark is how much would a team really give for Chris Paul when the Blazers go to flip him?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephonit View Post
    It's the more cold-blooded move. At this stage though it would entail a pretty big course correction and I've decided already that want to see how Chris Paul and the Warriors will look.
    I don’t. I have very little faith in the Chris Paul experiment even if he manages to stay healthy somehow. I really hope I’m wrong on this one though.

Jrue would be an upgrade. You can throw him at Western conference perimeter players like Ja Morant, De'Aaron Fox, Jamal Murray, Anthony Edwards, and SGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Jrue would be an upgrade. You can throw him at Western conference perimeter players like Ja Morant, De'Aaron Fox, Jamal Murray, Anthony Edwards, and SGA.
    Then when they finally get a break from Jrue, GPII comes off the bench and hounds them with more suffocating D. I don’t know if you have caught a lot of him but he brings it hard.

NBA rookie of the year

We can declare Curry the victor in his rivalry with CP3 by humiliating CP3 through making him come off the bench for Curry.

Should have retained poole instead. Just have to mentor him properly.

Why would Portland want him? Scoot and Simons are being prepped to be the cornerstone of that team’s backcourt. What are they going do with CP3? Pay him 30 mil just to ‘mentor’ these guys ?