Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nuggets working out in Aaron Gordons home court.

Well if you grew up on skateboarding (which I didnt) Tony Hawk is as legendary in his sport as any other GOATS are in theirs.

It’s obviously a matter of personal taste to an extent, if I was doing a personal selection I could think of an endless amount of people Id replace most of those selections with. But in terms of the ones that are kind of universally questionable I think Nipsey Hustle and Mac Miller are typical zoomer choices that make me cringe. Lauryn Hill and Spike Lee, ehh, those are the kind of choices you would assume someone only makes because “it’s a black thing.” There are objectively way better talents in the field of music and film making.

Id also personally eschew any modern political figures regardless of their politics. I think thats a weird look for a gym you plan to invite other people to.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

It’s not really an issue of merit though. I would leave Max Miller because well after he died I came to appreciate that he was evolving into an artist who might’ve been one of my favorites had he lived. Tony hawk is obviously a goat in his field, and I also enjoyed his game on the Nintendo 64 he just wouldn’t be on my wall. I removed Michael Jackson for David Ruffin, so it obviously isn’t just an issue of popularity and success and maybe not even of morals because I would consider adding somebody like Jim Brown.

Unless somebody is going to go straight Hitler or something like that I wouldn’t offer a serious criticism. If we wanted to be difficult about the morality questions there would be some hard conversations like who is more morally reprehensible O.J. Simpson, or a slave master the likes of some of the founding fathers, who were no doubt responsible for more death and destruction, but would make the wall of a lot of people who would be offended if I put OJ on my wall. There are some issues somebody just looking to create an issue could bring about that way, but I’m not that guy.

I just need a few key people on mine. David Ruffin is required even if I’m fairly sure he beat up a woman or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    It’s not really an issue of merit though. I would leave Max Miller because well after he died I came to appreciate that he was evolving into an artist who might’ve been one of my favorites had he lived. Tony hawk is obviously a goat in his field, and I also enjoyed his game on the Nintendo 64 he just wouldn’t be on my wall. I removed Michael Jackson for David Ruffin, so it obviously isn’t just an issue of popularity and success and maybe not even of morals because I would consider adding somebody like Jim Brown.

Unless somebody is going to go straight Hitler or something like that I wouldn’t offer a serious criticism. If we wanted to be difficult about the morality questions there would be some hard conversations like who is more morally reprehensible O.J. Simpson, or a slave master the likes of some of the founding fathers, who were no doubt responsible for more death and destruction, but would make the wall of a lot of people who would be offended if I put OJ on my wall. There are some issues somebody just looking to create an issue could bring about that way, but I’m not that guy.

I just need a few key people on mine. David Ruffin is required even if I’m fairly sure he beat up a woman or two.
    Thats why I said modern political figures in particular. Nobody’s debating George Washington or Napoleon anymore, everyone knows what people admire about them and what people take issue with. Theyre figures of the past who represent ideals, not living politicians who’ve been directly relevant in the lives of people today, sometimes in ways people would rather not be reminded of. Putting Obama on the wall (or Reagan, or Bush, or, say, Fauci) is just asking for people to groan the first time they come over to your gym. It’s not a big deal or anything, its fine if thats who he wants to put up, just not the direction I would go. Also Trump on the wall would be unconditionally acceptable just for the sheer comedy of Donald Trump’s giant picture in the gym.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Thats why I said modern political figures in particular. Nobody’s debating George Washington or Napoleon anymore, everyone knows what people admire about them and what people take issue with. Theyre figures of the past who represent ideals, not living politicians who’ve been directly relevant in the lives of people today, sometimes in ways people would rather not be reminded of. Putting Obama on the wall (or Reagan, or Bush, or, say, Fauci) is just asking for people to groan the first time they come over to your gym. It’s not a big deal or anything, its fine if thats who he wants to put up, just not the direction I would go. Also Trump on the wall would be unconditionally acceptable just for the sheer comedy of Donald Trump’s giant picture in the gym.
    That would have been an amazing prank if he had a huge Trump banner front and center when everyone came in.

Relative to the others in somewhat modern times, I’d say Obama, Carter, and Bush one wouldn’t be that controversial. Carter being the least. Not only have most of the people who hated him either died or aged out of main stream conversations he’s been to awesome human being to create new haters in the year sense. I don’t think many would see a picture of 95 year old Jimmy Carter on a ladder building a home for charity, and start thinking politics and being uncomfortable.

oh, and as angry as conservatives were at the time, the Obama years were nothing like the chaos we have dealt with since. If this shit continues, those will be looked back on as golden years considering the wars and terrorist threats right before and what feels like the complete downfall of civics and partisan hatred after. Even with the first gulf war, Bush one, and Obama are probably going to be the least hated presidents, remembered by a good chunk of the populace.

Trump Biden, Reagan, and the second Bush are just inviting arguments. And even Junior is looking downright presidential in comparison to some. His image might be completely rehabilitated by the madness politics has become.

Relative to the others in somewhat modern times, I’d say Obama, Carter, and Bush one wouldn’t be that controversial. Carter being the least. Not only have most of the people who hated him either died or aged out of main stream conversations he’s been to awesome human being to create new haters in the year sense. I don’t think many would see a picture of 95 year old Jimmy Carter on a ladder building a home for charity, and start thinking politics and being uncomfortable.

oh, and as angry as conservatives were at the time, the Obama years were nothing like the chaos we have dealt with since. If this shit continues, those will be looked back on as golden years considering the wars and terrorist threats right before and what feels like the complete downfall of civics and partisan hatred after. Even with the first gulf war, Bush one, and Obama are probably going to be the least hated presidents, remembered by a good chunk of the populace.

Trump Biden, Reagan, and the second Bush are just inviting arguments. And even Junior is looking downright presidential in comparison to some. His image might be completely rehabilitated by the madness politics has become.
    Just mentioning Trump is asking for an argument, let alone hanging a giant picture of him up

Biden now would cause arguments for sure, but 10-20 years from now? Imo he's simply too forgettable and milquetoast a president to really stir up any feelings of divisiveness after he's well out of office.

Reagan, W & I'd add Clinton, you're setting yourself up for an argument.

Decent college freshman

I see what he’s going for and I respect the attempt but he can probably swap out the Michael Jackson and Nipsey pics.
    I hope you're talking about michael jordan in this case..

Tf..

Edit; thought you wrote "mj"... but still

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Just mentioning Trump is asking for an argument, let alone hanging a giant picture of him up

Biden now would cause arguments for sure, but 10-20 years from now? Imo he's simply too forgettable and milquetoast a president to really stir up any feelings of divisiveness after he's well out of office.

Reagan, W & I'd add Clinton, you're setting yourself up for an argument.

Amazingly….I swear I forgot Bill Clinton existed.

Quote Originally Posted by LAL View Post
    I hope you're talking about michael jordan in this case..

Tf..

Edit; thought you wrote "mj"... but still
    Im sorry to do this but as chief content officer and argument facilitator I have to ask….

Did you just come onto a basketball forum and tell a Bulls fan Michael Jackson>Michael Jordan?

Do I have to release the hounds?

It’s not even about the objectivity of which Presidents are “good” and which arent (they are ALL figureheads for select special interest groups of their eras) it’s just that because society is always so contentious about politics I just wouldnt hang any President’s banners in a gym. But then again Im older than Gordon and maybe I’d have felt differently about it when I was his age.

Again it’s not a big deal or anything, it’s his gym and his prerogative. Im just nitpicking.

Im sorry to do this but as chief content officer and argument facilitator I have to ask….

Did you just come onto a basketball forum and tell a Bulls fan Michael Jackson>Michael Jordan?

Do I have to release the hounds?

NBA rookie of the year

If that was me, I'd have:

NBA players: Jordan, Lebron, Wembenyama
    NFL players: Williams, Wilson, Mahomes
    Soccer: Pele, Mbappe
    Politics: Mandela, Obama
    Musicians: Kanye, Michael Jackson, Drake
    Women: Serena, Zendaya
    White dudes: Biden, Dirk, Nick Wright

I’m gonna go on and take back what I said earlier about not being critical of other peoples picks because four of those selections are unacceptable. Perhaps five depending on which Williams you mean in the NFL.

For a gym setting you really do wanna demur from anything controversial, I think Id honestly just go with a single full-wall mural of Lebron shirtless wearing a crown of thorns being nailed to a cross.

Lebron would not make my wall unless I came across a truly amazing but poorly publicized photo. Not the dunk that people think was a lob from Wade when he’s running off with his hands spread. I’ve never seen a picture of LeBron worth putting on a wall.

I wouldn’t pick most of the photos Gordon selected either. Some of the same people but different photos. Id use Dr. J at Rucker park when it was so full to see him children were literally hanging off the school in the background and sitting on the roof. I would probably take Jordan hitting a fadeaway over the hornets. I would take Martin Luther King either playing pool or one of the scenes with his wife and kids. Doing something happy.

I don’t want the standard photo of any of them.