Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Magic Johnson on Stephen Curry calling himself the Goat point guard

Quote Originally Posted by bdonovan View Post
    Except Championships are a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

The game has evolved so far since Magic played. The conditioning, the training, the sheer skill level. Those games from the 80's look like they're played in slow motion by guys with very modest muscle mass.

In Magic's day, only a handful of players could consistently hit teardrop layups that arcs up over a jumping defender. Now it seems everyone in the league, even power forwards can gracefully make that shot.

The trajectory of the NBA is such that whoever comes after Curry 20 years from now, might also be playing the game at a much higher level than Curry did and be a far superior player. That's how progress works.

That's not to take away from the older greats like Magic. Today's players are standing on their shoulders and building off the game they perfected in their day. Just as the future best PG to who have played the game years from now will no doubt have been inspired by Curry.
    A zoomer take that is absolutely brainless and wrong. Maybe you need your brain or eyes checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23 View Post
    Huh? JJ Reddick would destroy Bob Cousy. The talent gap between modern nba players and those who player in the 1950’s to 1960’s is huge.
    honestly I don't think so. I think you'd be surprised. Cous would be running a lay up drill. JJ might not get shut out, but I doubt he could beat him in 1 on 1, and yea it doesn't really matter who is better at 1 v 1 (because imo cous would be a higher impact player in 5s, too,) but the fact that he would roast him in 1 on 1 with his one handed dribbling is much more embarrassing to JJ. JJ doesn't get it.

Imagine, you get the ball at the top and who is getting to the rim more? Cous. You think JJ is gonna go around him? No. He might rise up and make some shots, but he's gonna get dusted on the other end. Eventually Cous gets ball and it's dun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqn6xlRvEE lol

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    honestly I don't think so. I think you'd be surprised. Cous would be running a lay up drill. JJ might not get shut out, but I doubt he could beat him in 1 on 1, and yea it doesn't really matter who is better at 1 v 1 (because imo cous would be a higher impact player in 5s, too,) but the fact that he would roast him in 1 on 1 with his one handed dribbling is much more embarrassing to JJ. JJ doesn't get it.

Imagine, you get the ball at the top and who is getting to the rim more? Cous. You think JJ is gonna go around him? No. He might rise up and make some shots, but he's gonna get dusted on the other end. Eventually Cous gets ball and it's dun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqn6xlRvEE lol

-Smak
    Sounds like a posts from a guy who never play basketball. I watched highlights of Cousy on YouTube. I can average 42 ppg playing in that league. BC is also a turnover machine. I think he averaged 6-8 turnovers and also an inefficient scorer during that time.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Sounds like a posts from a guy who never play basketball. I watched highlights of Cousy on YouTube. I can average 42 ppg playing in that league. BC is also a turnover machine. I think he averaged 6-8 turnovers and also an inefficient scorer during that time.

Except Championships are a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

The game has evolved so far since Magic played. The conditioning, the training, the sheer skill level. Those games from the 80's look like they're played in slow motion by guys with very modest muscle mass.

In Magic's day, only a handful of players could consistently hit teardrop layups that arcs up over a jumping defender. Now it seems everyone in the league, even power forwards can gracefully make that shot.

The trajectory of the NBA is such that whoever comes after Curry 20 years from now, might also be playing the game at a much higher level than Curry did and be a far superior player. That's how progress works.

That's not to take away from the older greats like Magic. Today's players are standing on their shoulders and building off the game they perfected in their day. Just as the future best PG to who have played the game years from now will no doubt have been inspired by Curry.
    Casuals are whining about what happened to today's defense tho.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Bob Cousy is like a full foot taller then you. You would get wrecked.

The rules have made it easier to look skilled by softening the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You View Post
    The bot thinks one of the greats had a solid tenure

I can see how you can make a "typo", miss a keystroke or two, and end up with "tenure" instead of "resume."

What a dodo.

Not as dumb tho as saying or thinking that grant williams is still with the celtics. Or being unaware that arvydas sabonis wasn't selected for an all-star team bt.

Now cue in the autistic meltdown in 3, 2, 1...

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    His hiv definitely affected how his career rounded up. He didn't reach 15 seasons in the league and thus, the accumulated stats he had are lower than many guys in the hof. Regardless, he's still had a solid tenure.
    Accumulated stats isn't the reason someone is greater, it is the more accolades and peak/prime

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan View Post
    Bob Cousy is like a full foot taller then you. You would get wrecked.
    You two are going to get wrecked. You slanted drug addict.

It’s interesting because players today have better nutrition and training and access to every basketball related move or idea that ever came before them.

At the same time, if basketball players are in line with the general population, their testosterone has plummeted compared to the old heads or previous generation, because life has simply gotten easier. Dudes back then were a lot tougher, theres no question. It’s an empirical fact people today have way less test than they did 60 years ago. Hell tobacco even supposedly raises testosterone, and a bunch of the old NBA players actually smoked

If you gave all the old heads modern technique and training but allowed them to keep their same upbringing and toughness, theyd be pretty damn good. That said, the fact the game has grown so much globally does beget a larger total pool of freakish talents.

Anyway, the rules and gameplay are so drastically different, you cant say who the best is without specifying the era youre comparing them in. Today’s players will be better at today’s game, yesterdays players may be better than the current NBA crop at yesterdays game.

Only thing we can say for sure is Lebron is the GOAT of every era.

It's funny how people say rings are a team accomplishment but not realising stats are also that. They will change depending on your role with a team
    In saying that there's a big disconnect between what fans and players consider for goat recognition

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Obviously. But given in basketball the best player on the floor is playing on both ends and has the most control over a games outcome. Championships for the best player on the team are parameters and a barometer of how great they are. You can’t just shrug them off like that, that’s why you play the game.

NBA All-star

can I still be qualified as a PG if I can pump fake and/or make set shots