Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Will Shai Gilgeous-Alexander be an NBA superstar this year

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was a big time NBA star last year and I think he's close to achieving superstar level, maybe. What do you think of his game, and how many point guards are even better than him right now?

Default Re: Will Shai Gilgeous-Alexander be an NBA superstar this year

Last year he finished 5th in the MVP voting and was 1st team All-NBA. He isn't far from being a MVP contender.

I think it is interesting that he made a leap last year in part by cutting down his 3 point attempts dramatically. He was like an old school player constantly attacking the paint.

Last season he played at a superstar level

He already is unless your definition of superstar is very exclusionary.

Local High School Star

Good points above.

He should already be considered an NBA superstar. I guess my brain hadn't just applied that word to him yet even though I am of course obviously already a big-time fan of his.

All-NBA 1st team means you're a superstar just about (unless its DeAndre Jordan making the 1st team.)

National High School Star

top 10-20 player

could get better

Not sure what he adds in order to get better.

There's only so much you want one player to do as far as scoring, and he's pretty much at that level. It's unlikely he suddenly becomes an elite playmaker out of nowhere. Maybe he has room for defensive improvement, I dont know.

He may just be in his final form, which would be fine. I was impressed with his poise in their play-in win last year when the opponents keyed in on him in the first half, he didnt try to force it, he moved the ball to get his team going, and once his teammates hit some shots and the defense started to spread out a bit more he took advantage and dominated the second half. It was an impressive job of reading the game, being patient, and feeling out opportunities.

What will determine how far up he moves in public perception will have more to do with what OKC does at this point than anything in his own game.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Not sure what he adds in order to get better.

There's only so much you want one player to do as far as scoring, and he's pretty much at that level. It's unlikely he suddenly becomes an elite playmaker out of nowhere. Maybe he has room for defensive improvement, I dont know.

He may just be in his final form, which would be fine. I was impressed with his poise in their play-in win last year when the opponents keyed in on him in the first half, he didnt try to force it, he moved the ball to get his team going, and once his teammates hit some shots and the defense started to spread out a bit more he took advantage and dominated the second half. It was an impressive job of reading the game, being patient, and feeling out opportunities.

What will determine how far up he moves in public perception will have more to do with what OKC does at this point than anything in his own game.
    On the money. Same thing happened with Devin Booker: when his team began winning, his perception changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    On the money. Same thing happened with Devin Booker: when his team began winning, his perception changed.
    except Book is quite literally the best version of his offensive self...he was Michael Jordan 2.0 last playoffs. the only thing he can improve on is playmaking for his teammates but even that he's improved. Defensively he improved enough to not be a liability and actually show tenacity on that end. Technically, he outshined MJ bc he did it more efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey View Post
    except Book is quite literally the best version of his offensive self...he was Michael Jordan 2.0 last playoffs. the only thing he can improve on is playmaking for his teammates but even that he's improved. Defensively he improved enough to not be a liability and actually show tenacity on that end. Technically, he outshined MJ bc he did it more efficiently.
    I'm not talking about that. I'm referring to when people called him an empty stats guy from 2018-2020. When Phoenix began winning, people started to truly appreciate him.

Banned

To me, "superstar" has an element of popularity in it that SGA hasn't reached yet. He certainly has the potential to though, and I hope he does. Hopefully this year he can get his team deep into the playoffs.

Apparently Josh Giddey is only… 20 years old??

I didnt realize he was still THAT young.

If he bulks up and gets a better haircut, him and Shai could be the leagues best backcourt before long.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Apparently Josh Giddey is only… 20 years old??

I didnt realize he was still THAT young.

If he bulks up and gets a better haircut, him and Shai could be the leagues best backcourt before long.
    Word.

Yes. Shai and ANT.