Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Jermaine O’Neal had MORE All Star selections than Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    I didn’t care for him much as time went on. I remember some raptor fans calling me out because when he went to Toronto I said I have never been more certain I don’t need to fear a pair of stars on one team then I did the combo of Jermaine O’Neal and Chris bosh. Something along those lines. They were very annoyed.

Considering defense, he’s likely a better total player than Reggie, but Reggie would fit more into the kind of team I would want to build both back in the day and now.

Id take Reggie for my team and obviously as the top Pacer even if not the best total player of the game. Assuming he didn’t go full Harden with the ref baiting I would much prefer to have Reggie right now than Jermaine O’Neal.
    Yeah its not that hard to take the smarter more reliable player to build around even against that level of talent.

Jermaine was probably the most talented player in their history, too bad injuries got in the way of him developing into a more complete player. Playing under Isiah and having teammates like Artest, Tinsley, and Sjack certainly didnt help either.

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Yeah the years between MJ and Lebron were def the league’s most ghetto, which not coincidentally I was also at my most ghetto as a late adolescent, but ironically it was the era I paid attention to the NBA the least. Tho I do distinctly remember when I did catch the Pacers, seeing JO miss a lot of midrange isolations and wondering what all the hype around the guy was for. I dont think he was a bad guy or anything, just young and probably a bit overbilled relative to where he actually was as a player. Altho he was a legit defender as you point out ofc.

But yeah, as humans we tend to generalize, and at that time people saw a tall iso player with corn rows and a head band like JO, and just assume this dude must be a serious baller. That was where people thought the game was legitimately headed at that time. The AI, Darius Miles, Ricky Davis era of rockin baggy clothes, throwin up bad shots, and droppin a gang sign if it goes in. That was like, what people associated with… quality basketball ability

So it’s not really surprising the perception of JO was greater than the substance.
    Yeah he was pretty overrated offensively and I really hated those bad shots along with the attitude but still a great player. You dont lead your team to the best record in the league (61 wins) without being good

Reggie Miller vs Joe Dumars vs Mitch Richmond?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    Dumars

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle View Post
    Ritchmond.

And yes - Reggie is one of the most overrated players ever.

O'Neal was similar though. I still remember him being on the Heat and shooting like 1/13 in the playoffs. I hate that mfer for that.