Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Who will replace Marcus Smart's role on the Celtics?

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Won't need to.

As Tatum and Brown mature, a lot of what Smart brought will be taken up by them.

They need KP to be healthy, that's all.
    That's what the front office if expecting. As these guys approach their primes, they're going to be looked at to take on bigger loads than they already have. Tatum's playmaking has continued to grow each season. Jaylen just needs to get rid of those playoff jitters.

You still have Brogdon and White that can handle the ball when Tatum/Brown are resting, or aren't playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green View Post
    Over their careers Porzingis has missed more games but last season Smart missed more games than Porzingis. Your post is generally devoid of analysis. The Celtics problem isn't rebounding. The team's "problem" is hard to put a finger on large part because whatever it is isn't that big of a problem. Half of Tatum's career has ended in the conference finals yet you talk about them like the team needs to be blown up immediately. Makes no sense really.
    It makes perfect sense because the exact same thing happens every year haha. They are in a bad spot. If they ever win a ring or come close, and no... IMO it wasn't close when they got scraped by GSW, then I will say oops I was wrong, their front office was right.

They do actually need more toughness inside, and they do need rebounding. They don't need to generate inside buckets, per se, but with the sort of team they have, they have a lot of opportunity for offensive rebounds and put backs or just general dump off scores. That is what they lack. I dunno if Porzingis is that dude.

Check this part out:

"The team's "problem" is hard to put a finger on large part because whatever it is isn't that big of a problem. Half of Tatum's career has ended in the conference finals yet you talk about them like the team needs to be blown up immediately. Makes no sense really."

It's a big problem because they have a lot of talent and aren't winning. It's a big leap to go from conf finals to ring. Ask Bron. Like I said, this has happened for many years. The year they got to the finals was arguably fortuitous and they got beaten by a non Dynasty level GSW team. They got played out by Andrew Wiggins. Again, I was joking w/ dude about Wiggy before the series and he's like yea ok, and he was like ofc I say that then dude plays the series of his life.

Cs are lacking heart and toughness, but they need someone inside to drop the ball off or grab rebounds and put it back. That IS their problem. If you are a Cs fan and have been watching all these years and dunno what their problem is, I dunno how you can say 'my post is devoid of analysis.' I'm talking about winning championships. Think about how Trashy Tristan Thompson rebounded for them, but he's not GOOD. If they had a big who could get a rebound AND score it when Tatum or Brown drew the D on either an iso or a drive, they would be a championship team. Unfort, I don't see how they get that without splitting up the 'dynamic duo.' Again, they gave up Smart and got a big... THEY know what their problem is, but the question is A. his health and B. is he gonna be that dude who can do the things I listed? I personally have my doubts, but I have supported him, and I hope he goes in and dominates. I just don't think it's gonna happen. They def don't need more jumpers or bigs fading away so they can't get rebs. He's not incapable of playing that role, but he needs to get his mind set on it.

Like I said, you say I don't know anything or w/e but they literally went out and got a good big, trading one of their vital pieces. That is potentially a blow up move if dude gets injured again. Let's see how it works out for them. Like I said, he could potentially play that role, but it's gonna be more injury chance and require him to adapt. If they play him 5 out or high post like they did with big Al that's a super face palm.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
    Who in the East can take on the Celtics right now?

Philly is a mess.
    Heat got worst.
    Giannis just had a knee surgery.

If KP is healthy, they are in the finals.
    Maybe so, but they should do an interview w/ all the Cs players and ask them how it feels to work hard all year and come up just barely short for a ring. I think they are past the 'feeling good going deep in the playoffs' phase.

-Smak

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak View Post
    It makes perfect sense because the exact same thing happens every year haha. They are in a bad spot. If they ever win a ring or come close, and no... IMO it wasn't close when they got scraped by GSW, then I will say oops I was wrong, their front office was right.
    By this logic the only team that shouldn't blow up their roster is the NBA champion. If losing in the Finals 4-2 isnt close then there is no such thing as "close." Doesn't make any sense.

They do actually need more toughness inside, and they do need rebounding. They don't need to generate inside buckets, per se, but with the sort of team they have, they have a lot of opportunity for offensive rebounds and put backs or just general dump off scores. That is what they lack. I dunno if Porzingis is that dude.
    So you insist that they need rebounding (something that you present no reason for..because there is none) the Celtics bring in a big that averaged 23 points and 8 rebounds and you then say it's a bad move?

Check this part out:
    "The team's "problem" is hard to put a finger on large part because whatever it is isn't that big of a problem. Half of Tatum's career has ended in the conference finals yet you talk about them like the team needs to be blown up immediately. Makes no sense really."

It's a big problem because they have a lot of talent and aren't winning. It's a big leap to go from conf finals to ring. Ask Bron. Like I said, this has happened for many years. The year they got to the finals was arguably fortuitous and they got beaten by a non Dynasty level GSW team. They got played out by Andrew Wiggins. Again, I was joking w/ dude about Wiggy before the series and he's like yea ok, and he was like ofc I say that then dude plays the series of his life.
    If it isn't obvious I don't care about some conversation you had with some guy.

Cs are lacking heart and toughness, but they need someone inside to drop the ball off or grab rebounds and put it back. That IS their problem. If you are a Cs fan and have been watching all these years and dunno what their problem is, I dunno how you can say 'my post is devoid of analysis.' I'm talking about winning championships. Think about how Trashy Tristan Thompson rebounded for them, but he's not GOOD. If they had a big who could get a rebound AND score it when Tatum or Brown drew the D on either an iso or a drive, they would be a championship team. Unfort, I don't see how they get that without splitting up the 'dynamic duo.' Again, they gave up Smart and got a big... THEY know what their problem is, but the question is A. his health and B. is he gonna be that dude who can do the things I listed? I personally have my doubts, but I have supported him, and I hope he goes in and dominates. I just don't think it's gonna happen. They def don't need more jumpers or bigs fading away so they can't get rebs. He's not incapable of playing that role, but he needs to get his mind set on it.
    So you say the Celtics need to get better in the paint...they trade a guard for a big that averaged 23 and 8...and you say it's a bad move. Your post doesn't just lack analysis, it lacks logical thought. Porzingis can't score? I mean, really?

By this logic the only team that shouldn't blow up their roster is the NBA champion. If losing in the Finals 4-2 isnt close then there is no such thing as "close." Doesn't make any sense.

So you insist that they need rebounding (something that you present no reason for..because there is none) the Celtics bring in a big that averaged 23 points and 8 rebounds and you then say it's a bad move?

If it isn't obvious I don't care about some conversation you had with some guy.

So you say the Celtics need to get better in the paint...they trade a guard for a big that averaged 23 and 8...and you say it's a bad move. Your post doesn't just lack analysis, it lacks logical thought. Porzingis can't score? I mean, really?
    out of respect for everyone on ISH, I will not push this further. I felt I explained things pretty well. I wonder if there were sentences you skipped. I honestly don't know. Maybe read it again some time, but I took the time to explain it because you are a Cs fan and you wanted more in depth analysis. I gave it to you, and I guess it doesn't make sense. It makes sense TO ME. It makes sense TO THEM because they brought in the guy, as you( and I) said, but can he play the role I believe is necessary, even if he is healthy? We dunno. Being 7'3 and shooting 15 footers/3s and fades isn't gonna be what they need. Tatum and Brown can do that.

Unfortunately, like they say against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. Well, no argument can beat "It makes no sense." / incredulous responses. It was all addressed, and I hope you check it out again in a more thorough manner. I'm most offended by the part about you not caring about my conversations with a fellow celtics fan. TOTALLY OUT OF LINE BRO. I thought we were FRIENDS.

-Smak

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

They are losing a lot of their defensive identity and leadership with Smart gone. Porzingis is more talented but he doesn't really bring any of the aforementioned intangibles to the table.

out of respect for everyone on ISH, I will not push this further. I felt I explained things pretty well. I wonder if there were sentences you skipped. I honestly don't know. Maybe read it again some time, but I took the time to explain it because you are a Cs fan and you wanted more in depth analysis. I gave it to you, and I guess it doesn't make sense. It makes sense TO ME. It makes sense TO THEM because they brought in the guy, as you( and I) said, but can he play the role I believe is necessary, even if he is healthy? We dunno. Being 7'3 and shooting 15 footers/3s and fades isn't gonna be what they need. Tatum and Brown can do that.

Unfortunately, like they say against the assault of laughter nothing can stand. Well, no argument can beat "It makes no sense." / incredulous responses. It was all addressed, and I hope you check it out again in a more thorough manner. I'm most offended by the part about you not caring about my conversations with a fellow celtics fan. TOTALLY OUT OF LINE BRO. I thought we were FRIENDS.

-Smak
    Apologies for being a heel but it really didn't make sense. Porzingis isn't just a jumpshooter but his ability to shoot us just another reason he compliments Tatum and Brown well as both of those guys are at their most dominant when they get to the basket. You talk about how the Celtics need a big, they get possibly the best big available, and then you say it's a bad move? It doesn't make sense. The ink out point being made is that yes, there is an injury history. But if he stays healthy this is a great move.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    They are losing a lot of their defensive identity and leadership with Smart gone. Porzingis is more talented but he doesn't really bring any of the aforementioned intangibles to the table.
    Tatum, Brown, White, Williams and Horford are all good or better defenders. White was All-D last season and Smart wasn't. That's partially due to Smart being injured but it's a fact. If he stays healthy all season Rob Williams has DPoY potential, before he got hurt two seasons ago he had the Celtics looking unbeatable. Smart brings toughness and leadership but the Celtics absolutely have players that can replace his role on the court. Who steps up as a leader remains to be seen but it's not like they're a bunch of unmotivated players. And then to this group they are adding a 4/5 that averaged 23 and 8 and blocks shots.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Tatum, Brown, White, Williams and Horford are all good or better defenders. White was All-D last season and Smart wasn't. That's partially due to Smart being injured but it's a fact. If he stays healthy all season Rob Williams has DPoY potential, before he got hurt two seasons ago he had the Celtics looking unbeatable. Smart brings toughness and leadership but the Celtics absolutely have players that can replace his role on the court. Who steps up as a leader remains to be seen but it's not like they're a bunch of unmotivated players. And then to this group they are adding a 4/5 that averaged 23 and 8 and blocks shots.
    Yea I agree, but Smart seemed like the guy that made those guys better with his defensive callouts and the pressure he put on everybody to play defense with intensity. Porzingis gives them a higher ceiling though with his offense and size. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Banned

I'm guessing either Grant Williams or Jrue Holiday.

Apologies for being a heel but it really didn't make sense. Porzingis isn't just a jumpshooter but his ability to shoot us just another reason he compliments Tatum and Brown well as both of those guys are at their most dominant when they get to the basket. You talk about how the Celtics need a big, they get possibly the best big available, and then you say it's a bad move? It doesn't make sense. The ink out point being made is that yes, there is an injury history. But if he stays healthy this is a great move.
    Just seeing this.

https://youtu.be/t95MuUIVsxA?si=cJu55n-3yZkgMwyx there are going to be a lot of these with Tatum and Brown as well as dump off chances. If he's gonna play like bargs, that's not gonna work. I dunno if he's still got it to do those kinda things. That's what I'm saying. He might be the best available big, but that doesn't mean he's the right fit, esp if you are giving up a player who fits pretty well and end up getting rid of your one dominant C / 6th man for a replacement. People are shitting on Brogdan but I swear he was pretty integral for them. Am I tweaking or did he get injured last year? I feel like his injury at the end was hugely impactful.

-Smak

NBA All-star

the Nuggets, who won the champioship last year didn't rely a lot of point guard posting up, so it'll work out

Just seeing this.

https://youtu.be/t95MuUIVsxA?si=cJu55n-3yZkgMwyx there are going to be a lot of these with Tatum and Brown as well as dump off chances. If he's gonna play like bargs, that's not gonna work. I dunno if he's still got it to do those kinda things. That's what I'm saying. He might be the best available big, but that doesn't mean he's the right fit, esp if you are giving up a player who fits pretty well and end up getting rid of your one dominant C / 6th man for a replacement. People are shitting on Brogdan but I swear he was pretty integral for them. Am I tweaking or did he get injured last year? I feel like his injury at the end was hugely impactful.

-Smak
    Why would the Celtics play him like Bargnani? He can rebound respectably and play in the paint as well as inside. Versatility is a good thing and will let the Celtics attack in a number of different ways. Sometimes he'll be making space on the perimeter and sometimes he'll be in the paint, depending on what is the best way to attack. And now that the Celtics have Holidaythis discussion is moot. Holiday is basically Smart with better shooting, maybe not as much of a leader I don't know what he's like in that regard but on paper the team offense and defense are both elite.