Default Would you be opposed to teams calling their own foul?

Each team can make up to 2 calls a game for any reason against their opponent. On ball, off ball, out of bounds etc within 3 seconds of it occuring. The ref would then use video assistance (VAR) to determine if there's indeed a foul or not and if it's within that timeframe. If yes, then the foul will be called as normal and the team still have the 2 calls. If not, the opposing team will get 2 free throws and the ball.

Banned

Default Re: Would you be opposed to teams calling their own foul?

I just think the league needs to totally allow incidental contact.

How often is a foul really called in pickup basketball? I would say only when it's flagrant and obvious. I think that same principle needs to be applied. If players can handle physical contact in every park and every gym across the country, they should be able to handle it at the highest professional level.

The rules the NBA have now are fu*king crazy to me. If you drive to the lane, you should expect contact.

7-time NBA All-Star

no or at least test it in the preseason or the whack midseason tourney coming up

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post

How often is a foul really called in pickup basketball? I would say only when it's flagrant and obvious. I think that same principle needs to be applied. If players can handle physical contact in every park and every gym across the country, they should be able to handle it at the highest professional level.

The rules the NBA have now are fu*king crazy to me. If you drive to the lane, you should expect contact.
    Yeah, I think the thing is, full court pickup games generally dont go for 48 minutes straight. And when guys get tired they can just take a few possessions off and it’s no big deal cuz it’s pickup.

Im almost positive the league intentionally calls phantom fouls simply to give players a rest throughout the course of the game. It is tiring as hell running up and down and jumping in the air a bunch of times, if they dont stop play after a few possessions the game tends to get very sloppy. Itd be nice if they could figure out a better solution to keeping guys fresh than calling more fouls than are actually happening. But so far they havent. And Im quite sure they encourage refs to call fouls regularly no matter what, just to spell the players.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post

The rules the NBA have now are fu*king crazy to me.
    That's a good point. In pickup you're seen as weak if you call foul. In the NBA it's reversed... all the best players constantly cry for a foul.

If you drive to the lane, you should expect contact.
    And its made even worse by the fact offensive players will lower their shoulder and create contact and then flop and beg for a whistle.

College superstar

I feel like it should be the opposite. No contact what so ever. That way it is very clear and not subjective. If you touch someone anywhere any time on offense or defense it’s a foul.

Or just don’t call fouls and have a hybrid football mma basketball league.

College superstar

NBA players need to regulate flopping on their own. It needs to be like baseball where if someone flips a bat or does some sucker shit fools get bombed on. If dudes start flopping an enforcer comes in and body slams mofos.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FultzNationRISE View Post
    Yeah, I think the thing is, full court pickup games generally dont go for 48 minutes straight. And when guys get tired they can just take a few possessions off and it’s no big deal cuz it’s pickup.

Im almost positive the league intentionally calls phantom fouls simply to give players a rest throughout the course of the game. It is tiring as hell running up and down and jumping in the air a bunch of times, if they dont stop play after a few possessions the game tends to get very sloppy. Itd be nice if they could figure out a better solution to keeping guys fresh than calling more fouls than are actually happening. But so far they havent. And Im quite sure they encourage refs to call fouls regularly no matter what, just to spell the players.
    Interesting point, I suppose the players do need rest here and there.

Personally I think the constant back and forth without stoppage is great. It happens so rarely these days because of all the whistles, but you do get a long uninterrupted stretch here and there. It's exciting to watch.

I'm no expert, but aren't soccer players constantly running back and forth as well?