Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How important is consistency?

Lets say there's 2 supermax players, A and B.

Player A's impact is consistently at 7/10. Never had a bad game, but never amazing either.

Player B's impact is consistently inconsistent. Every night it's a 50-50 chance whether his impact would be a 10/10 or a 4/10.

Which player would you rather have as franchise player?

Default Re: How important is consistency?

I don't know how to answer that. 7/10, probably. Consistency is a value-add; however, a 10/10 game is, theoretically speaking, perfect. It takes more than one player to win but a 10/10 game puts you in a position to do so. It only takes four wins in a playoff series. But I don't like my chances of doing that sixteen times out of a potential twenty-eight.

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Numbers don't mean much here. It depends on the examples. I would rather have AD than Adebayo but might pick the more consistent players in other comparisons. What I would say is great coaches help with inconsistent players more. They can deal with their emotions/egos better and help them perform their potentials.

Banned

If you want to go deep into the playoffs, it's player A. Who would you rather have as your franchise player, Jokic or Embiid?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Court View Post
    If you want to go deep into the playoffs, it's player A. Who would you rather have as your franchise player, Jokic or Embiid?

Jokic has gigantic games though.

NBA Superstar

A better example would be Embiid against maybe prime Horford.

Banned

Consistency is the ultimate measure of one's greatness.

7-time NBA All-Star

A player isn't a franchise player if they frequently drop to a "4" caliber

Elite production capability and consistency of this production is what defines a franchise player

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I'm going with 7/10 easily. But if it would be 8/10 vs. 6/10 or 10/10 I'd probably switch sides.

Player B could be Jayson Tatum. Some games he'll go off for 40, some games he can't even make a layup.

I'm still taking player B, because I'd rather have a guy that can have a 10/10 game in a big moment.

National High School Star

This is basically position based, if it's a forward or shooting guard you can deal with inconsistency if it's your point or center you want consistency.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

If you think about it in a playoff series you only need to win 4/7 so you could theoretically play great only a little more than half the time and still win. People shit on AD for his inconsistency yet in the 2023 WCFs against Denver he averaged 27/14 on great efficiency while being the best defensive player on either team. That should have been enough to win but Jokic just went GOAT mode.

Another example is kyrie in the 2016 finals... he sucked for like the first 4 games and then outplayed (destroyed really) a UMVP player. When shit inevitably gets tight you want the 10/10 guy when it matters.
    Last edited by tpols; 08-30-2023 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpols View Post
    If you think about it in a playoff series you only need to win 4/7 so you could theoretically play great only a little more than half the time and still win. People shit on AD for his inconsistency yet in the 2023 WCFs against Denver he averaged 27/14 on great efficiency while being the best defensive player on either team. That should have been enough to win but Jokic just went GOAT mode.

Another example is kyrie in the 2016 finals... he sucked for like the first 4 games and then outplayed (destroyed really) a UMVP player. When shit inevitably gets tight you want the 10/10 guy when it matters.
    Well, Murray averaged 33PPG on 65% TS. So yeah Jokic was amazing but his second option was basically prime Kobe in that series.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hold this L View Post
    Well, Murray averaged 33PPG on 65% TS. So yeah Jokic was amazing but his second option was basically prime Kobe in that series.
    Yea that's true too.

That Laker Nugget series was the closest played sweep I've ever seen. LA was up double digits in two of the games looking like it'd be a blowout and they choked in the 4thQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller234 View Post
    Consistency is the ultimate measure of one's greatness.

10 conference championships